• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 15,761 through 15,800 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • ernielynch

It’s actually dropped significantly in the last year but I am not going to claim that it has anything to do with brexit.

End of Year Stats

Food banks are the scandalous consequences of right-wing government policies. They are not inevitable. Being in the EU does not stop the need for food banks. Being out of the EU does make food banks inevitable.

Stop blaming brexit for everything. Let it go. Move on. We need solutions – not shrugging our shoulders and blaming brexit for everything.

theotherjonv

coronavirus I suspect causing that 2.5million number?

I don’t think Brexit will have had an effect yet, if indeed it has an effect. The changes to importation and the like have still to impact fully, and any effect is also likely to be substantially masked by Ukraine and oil and…..

as another reference

https://www.dw.com/en/dramatic-rise-in-germans-relying-on-food-banks/a-50473042

kimbers

Food banks are the scandalous consequences of right-wing government policies. They are not inevitable. Being in the EU does not stop the need for food banks. Being out of the EU does make food banks inevitable.

Nope but Brexit weakened the economy and that led to them becoming more neeeded, especially under the Tories

mattyfez

I don’t think Brexit will have had an effect yet

You need to get in the sea, along all the other brexiters.

kimbers

I don’t think Brexit will have had an effect yet, if indeed it has an effect.

Post ref UK economy stagnated compared to our peers,

https://www.cer.eu/sites/default/files/body-images/group_charts_cob_7.6.22.jpg

Brexit & Johnson’s legacy will take years to recover from

duncancallum

It’s not had its full effect yet🤪

ernielynch

I don’t think Brexit will have had an effect yet, if indeed it has an effect.

As someone pointed out there has been a dramatic increase in the need for food banks since 2010 (anyone see the film I, Daniel Blake’?)

We hadn’t even had a referendum in 2010. But what we did have was elected Liberal Democrat politicians in the Treasury, as well as Tories, both were enthusiastic supporters of austerity. Not sure about their attitude to foreigners though. Although as I pointed out earlier Cameron did particularly disliked migrants and asylum seekers.

ElShalimo

QT has just started…. Alistair Campbell, Tim Telegraph writer posh boy and some minor characters

Fiona Bruce has already raised her voice to Campbell….

kelvin

“dabbles with wokery”

That’s the first 30 seconds of QT I’ve watched for years. 30 seconds too much. Off.

tjagain

Ernie

Brexit has caused huge losses to the economy. Do you dispute that?

kelvin

Food banks are the scandalous consequences of right-wing government policies.

We agree on that. What we don’t seem to agree on is that choosing to leave the EU, while right-wing politicians hold so much sway in the UK, has, inevitably, resulted in increased right wing policies paired with considerable economic damage. A heady and damaging combo that isn’t taking us anywhere good anytime soon. Johnson rode that wave all the way to being PM… and he’ll do just fine out of it on the other side of his time in office. People further down the pecking order in our country? Worse off for it. Thanks Johnson… go and enjoy writing your books.

bearnecessities

How some of you repeatedly post with such unwavering self-belief that you’re experts on everything from to pandemic management to welfare policies, with your ‘this is the reason and this is the answer’ understanding on pretty much bloody everything, is unbelievable.

It’s the way of the internet though, I get that, but some of you really need to give it a rest! And no, people won’t contribute to the discussion where they might know a bit about the topic – because you’re such belligerent, graph-seeking, overbearing know-it-alls.

Anyhow, carry on, you’re doing great work keeping us entertained until the new wordle.

pondo

Stop blaming brexit for everything. Let it go. Move on. 

I wish I could do GIFs on here.

ElShalimo

The characters may vary per thread but it’s often the Same Ten W……….

bikesandboots

Leave the Conservative MPs to sort this mess out… let’s see how the public end up viewing their party by the time Johnson is finally defenestrated.

Shall we commission this as a piece of artwork?

Caher

Quite like Question Time, but find it infuriating sometimes when Steve (the leaver)from Barnsley cannot get an NHS appointment and cannot work out why. Bit like my white van mates who want to retire to Spain, but cannot.

TiRed

Country that voted to be poorer in 2016 complains when cost of living rises and faces an income and inflation squeeze. That’s not really news though, is it?

The country IS materially poorer and lagging other comparable economies. Whether one thinks it’s a price worth paying is another matter. How much do you think GDP would rise if we rejoined the EEA? Might offset half of the inflation pressure.

robertajobb

That sort of rational thinking will never work with those who voted to leave the EU.

I hope those who voted for this mess are suffering for their decisions.

ANYWAY… I’ve an index linked pension is going to get a great big rise soon as its based on September’s inflation figure. and thats going to be a whopper.

ernielynch

Ernie

Brexit has caused huge losses to the economy. Do you dispute that?

I couldn’t give a monkeys if brexit caused the greatest catastrophic collapse of the British economy in history. The debate on whether the UK should be in the EU is over.

If you saw tonight’s QT you will have seen audience member after audience member, including remainers, saying that it is time to move on and not remain obsess with brexit.

One of the reasons the Tories did so well last general election is because people were sick and tired of the issue and didn’t want a second referendum. Nearly three years on from the general election people aren’t gagging to go all over the whole brexit debate again.

Food banks are caused by right-wing government policies, the first one was opened 3 years after Tony Blair first became Prime Minister. Coalition gov austerity 10 years later gave them a huge boost. To link it to not being in the EU and “attitude to foreigners” is hugely dishonest. And even if it were true it is totally irrelevant as the decision whether to remain in the EU has been made. So any solution to the food bank problem will have to be based on the UK not being in the EU.

kelvin

Apologies for Brexit coming up again, but we’ve had a day of politicians talking about Johnson’s legacy, on the day he promised he will resign… they all brought Brexit up as a positive. It’s not being ignored, and especially not by the people who promised to “get it done”… it’s all they’re going on about. Great, thanks, where are those lower prices and higher wages? Huge numbers of people in work relying on food banks is part of Johnson’s legacy and part of the debris he left behind him, as he used Brexit to further his own interests, since Cameron announced the “big debate” Johnson was so well prepared to take on.

Anyway, who’ll be at this Chequers wedding do? Party of the summer? All depends on how long he can cling on I presume…

mattyfez

I couldn’t give a monkeys if brexit caused the greatest catastrophic collapse of the British economy in history.

You can get in the sea too.. You nasty little englander.

Cougar

Being out of the EU does make food banks inevitable.

Stop blaming brexit for everything.

Huh?

Did you miss a ‘not’ there somewhere?

One of the reasons the Tories did so well last general election is because people were sick and tired of the issue and didn’t want a second referendum.

Well, no, they were told that they shouldn’t want one. Because how democracy works is that you have a vote and then everything stops otherwise WHY DO YOU HATE DEMOCRACY?!

If you saw tonight’s QT you will have seen audience member after audience member,

Question Time is of course well known for its lack of bias in choosing its audience.

Cougar

How some of you repeatedly post with such unwavering self-belief that you’re experts on everything

So why not provide a counter-argument rather than whining?

reluctantjumper

I couldn’t give a monkeys if brexit caused the greatest catastrophic collapse of the British economy in history. The debate on whether the UK should be in the EU is over.

I very rarely rise to trolls but that statement is just complete and utter bollocks. The EU debate will never go away simply for the fact that we know what we have given up and ther will always be a section of the country that wants that back. As for not caring if the country burns to the ground financially? That’s just purely inhumane.

inkster
    Free Member

We may eventually pull out of the nose dive that Brexit has put us in but the UK will be in a much less prosperous and influential position than it would have been had it stayed connected to Europe.

The truth is that no civilisation has ever flourished without freedom of movement.

The country didn’t change, it just got older and we find ourselves dictated too by a tranche of retirees, who are asking those of working age to pull thwir socks up and make a go of it so their pensions will be paid and in order to do this they have decided to hold them hostage by limiting their options in a multitude of ways.

There simply isn’t the energy in the country to make a go of it.

inkster
    Free Member

Full employmemt they say, yet the country has never been more miserable.

I can’t remember a state of full employment in my lifetime, except in the Soviet Union and of course Comunist China. They had something similar in 1930’s Genrmany I believe as well?.

reluctantjumper

Why is the Mail still supporting Johnson with a front page blaming the Party for making a grave mistake in outing him? Does he have a job lined up there rather than the Telegraph?

jimster01

See the Mail is showing it’s seesawing following – Thursday saying “Will the greasy piglet get out of this” todays front page “What have they done”.

funkmasterp

Well I for one am just glad that all the bananas are bendy now. Those destitute people visiting food banks can rest easy knowing that the bananas they’ve just been given aren’t straight.

tomd
    Free Member

A lot of people had an almost religious level of devotion to Boris and the cult of Brexit. They voted for him and him alone and feel very let down and angry.

I think the mail is trying to tap into that anger and sense of grievance by painting him as a victim. It’s the fault of the woke / BBC / remoaners / labour etc. No contrition. No sense that he may have had a part to play in blowing it.

Presumably the benefit is that you can then direct that energy and anger towards opponents of Boris’ legacy as the mail would see it, or in support of whoever the daily mail wishes. It’s actually quite a scary prospect.

nickc

Entertaining  podcast about Boris and the classics that he studied and used as the blue-print for his rise, and has echo’s in his fall…Anyway, made for an interesting listen

theotherjonv

@mattyfez, @kimbers

You need to get in the sea, along all the other brexiters.

Sod off labelling me as a Brexiteer. I’m totally anti; disgraceful decision that shames us and will see us worse off in so many areas. Right now at work my multinational workforce is scrabbling to see how we can maintain the multi year relationships built up with European partner organisations. Hate it and the people that voted for it. But it happened and it’s very hard to reverse that now.

The argument last night was about “working people so poor that they have to rely on foodbanks, all because we’ve spent half a decade fixated on how much 52% of our population dislike foreigners” (my emphasis) from which people were saying that the trend was already there well before Brexit. It was. Fact.

I was just posting the figure on food bank usage to see if there is a remarkable uptick post brexit, and saying that I don’t know if has shown yet. I don’t know if it will, or whether it’ll be masked totally by the CV19 outbreak first, and now the oil and Ukraine crisis. I’m not saying Brexit has no economic impact, which it clearly has.

I can be anti brexit but still post actual figures and debate them. The German FB usage is growing at an alarming rate but they didn’t have the impact of Brexit, for example. The graphs above about the countercase model of the UK economy w/o Brexit, that’s economy in general – what’s the equivalent graph for Foodbank usage which is what my comments related to.

nickc

The debate on whether the UK should be in the EU is over.

I don’t think that’s the case at all. The event may be over, we’re out and we’re not getting back in again in a hurry, if at all but if you think the talking’s done, then I think you’ll find it’s only just got going.

rone

You know as Ernie is trying to point out there is a difference to the economy tanking as part of Brexit related issues and the effects of right-wingery economics on the deprived whilst being a member of the EU.

The neoliberal framework and trickle-down has not offered much up for the least well off irrespective of EU membership.

Being poor was always a problem.

rone

Full employmemt they say, yet the country has never been more miserable.

That’s because it’s not full employment. Usual statistical manipulation.

tjagain

The debate on whether the UK should be in the EU is over.

It really is not you know. In england maybe but not in Scotland or NI

intheborders
    Free Member

Mordaunt … She should be the next PM so long as she can stand strong.

Have you right-wing nutjobs not done enough damage already to the UK & ordinary folk?

Must say it boils my pi55 when our ‘friendly’ immigrant wants to make the UK more like whatever basket-case country he ‘escaped’ from.

And food banks are a direct consequence of the actions of selfish, entitled voters. Same across the world – go to the US or any other ‘liberal’/poor country and those that have climbed the ladder (even if it’s just a step-ladder and/or the pure luck of been born into the ‘right’ family) want to pull it up, encouraged by those already at the top. They are literally what people have voted for.

kimbers

Do we think Johnson will stand down as an MP at the next GE?

A couple of years of sniping from the back benches & maxing out expenses, snide column in the Torygraph

Certainly if the polls are looking bad for the Tories as they are now, he’d likely lose it.

I’m sure he’d be happy to freeload in the Lords

I just really think that he should be addressed forever as The Disgraced Former Prime Minister Boris Johnson

piemonster

So why not provide a counter-argument rather than whining?

LOL, like that would make any difference. Even if it got a response itd just be drowned out by the ongoing tirade of unwavering opinions. The only sensible thing, assuming you can, is to just ignore every word typed by ‘that’ segment of posters and wait for someone else to post something informative. Which can be a fair bloody wait at times, especially if not much is happening out in the real world.

Either that or just disengage from the ‘shouting of opinions’ completely and talk about bikes or some shit.

super_12
    Free Member

Brexit is fundamentally incompatible with the Good Friday Agreement.

Break the GFA and you can add 5-10% onto already inflated prices overnight. The US will not do a trade deal and the EU will, effectively, impose sanctions. UK economy collapses (further).

Adhere to the GFA and you have, de facto, put NI outside of the UK. The DUP and their ilk will start to destabilise NI again. It probably won’t take much to put us back 40 years.

There is a small mitigation in the second scenario in that NI businesses will (continue to) do excellent business exporting to the EU cheaper than their mainland competitors, but this will only benefit a few. I am mentioning it merely to acknowledge it – it is a side issue and won’t make much difference at the hustings.

NI-EIRE is where Brexit will meet its Waterloo. Until many bits of it are undone there will not be political stability in the UK. The next Tory PM cannot magic a solution that preserves the hard brexit we currently have. They will continue to go down in flames as they try to reconcile the impossible. The flames won’t be of their personal making (like Partygate, Pincher, Afghanistan etc), so the demise won’t be as panto-esque. But repeated demises there will be until the UK accepts its true position in the world.

Brexit will continue to devour the Tories and their leaders.

Viewing 40 posts - 15,761 through 15,800 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.