• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • maccruiskeen

Farmers were specifically told that they would not lose out from Brexit.

There are about 150k farmers in the uk. Sounds like a lot but it roughly translates as 20 – 25 per constituency – although in reality theres probably 100 odd constituency where theres no farmers at all. But I doubt in even the most rural seats famers would swing the vote 🙂

Poopscoop

We genuinely are Lost In Space Brexit.

No one genuinely knows how this will end. It’s unprecedented.

Obviously it’s very unlikely you have a good outcome but it’s going to have other side effects we can’t even begin to calculate.

I wish I had the wealth to distance myself from it so I could just look on with fascination and regret. I haven’t though so I’m just being washed along with the tide like most of us are.

Oh, and the conovirus outbreak now gives the Torys the perfect excuse for a poor economy for a few years. Basically they can’t blame everything on Labour (or Brexit) after all these years so conovirus has happened along at the perfect time.👍

frankconway

Recent CLP meeting I attended in Lincolnshire discussed how to better connect with farmers as they would be amongst the first to feel Brexit pain; I’m not referring to ‘gentleman’ farmers or major landowners.
    There was a clear recognition by those who attend party conference and are true activists that labour have become an urban party but also a view that party leadership doesn’t seem to have a coherent plan for rural areas.
    It’s not just farmers, it’s everyone employed in the rural economy; that includes the complete agricultural supply chain and food producers/processors amongst many others.
    Clearly, an opportunity for Labour but they need a comprehensive and clear plan which must be clearly targeted.
    As for johnson & co, they completely own this to the Nth degree; EU are making their red lines clear; some brexiters will recognise how the gov are stuffing this up; others will insist the UK is being impeded by the EU – no hope for them.
    This will be a long and painful lesson for the UK; painful, that is, for those who cannot afford to insulate themselves from the financial and economic consequences so…..most of the population.

theotherjonv

150K farmers/650 is 200-250 per constituency, not 20-25.

But your point is still mainly valid, 200-250 votes won’t swing many constituencies.

But if they got all their friends to support them it might make a couple of thousand votes difference and if support of farmers is perceived as a support of the rural way of life that could be a vote winner irrespective of how many farmers there actually are.

kimbers

He’s been spotted!!! raising cash for the party at the millionaires black & white ball

Looks like he’s aged a decade !

eskay

The comments in that tweet are amusing

frankconway

The problems are beginning to mount up for johnson – in no particular sequence:
    – inadequate response to repeated floods
    – attitude to COP26 is one of paying lip service
    – HS2 costs will continue to increase
    – negotiations with EU heading for cliff-edge before they really start; johnson and his acolytes may be unconcerned but should be a real worry for most of population
    – apparent willingness to renege on (part of) the political declaration will confirm EU view that he cannot be trusted
    – covid-19 preparedness, or otherwise, will be tested
    – stock markets now moving into ‘correction’ territory; that is a fall of >10% within a few days
    – heathrow 3rd runway not resolved yet; many tory MPs want it; if johnson’s constituency wasn’t next to the airport it’s probable he would be in favour
    – repeated lies and empty promises about NHS hospital building, social care; dissembling about increased recruitment of nurses and police officers
    – he cannot achieve ‘satisfactory outcomes’ with both EU and US; behaviour to date suggests a preference for US; will trump go in dry or use lube (probably made in china)?
    This is just for starters.
    Happy days……

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

will trump go in dry or use lube (probably made in china)?

Rhetorical, one assumes?

frankconway

Who knows? I don’t know what their preferences are.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Frank nails it…

Lot of karma building up..

dannyh
    Free Member

Lot of karma building up..

They’ll find some convenient scapegoat and the chumps will believe them. Again.

dannyh
    Free Member

Also bear in mind that covid-19 will be very easy to sell as ’caused by dirty foreigners’.

Don’t underestimate the depths they will go to, the poison they used for the Leave campaign is also highly addictive.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

The great unwashed will take the bull**** middle England will quietly plot Boris’s downfall..

Just watch they wont stand having to pay more wages, taxes (oh yes), invest, not being able to get a cut price Nanny, having to pay the great unwashed £20 an hour to mow the lawn, see Jemimas graduate job in the city taken by some bloke from Mumbai.

Boris is rolling the dice….

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Boris (Dominic) read the mood of the Brexity folks, now Bojo thinks Dom is “inscrutable” and is delivering his manifesto…

I think Bojo has made a huge mistake, he has thanked the red wall for their vote and taken the core Tory vote for granted.

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

The more you read about the Russian report that BJ is sitting on, the more you read about Cummings time in Russia, the more you “follow the money” – Leave.eu and their “big hitters”, the more you can only, inevitably realise is that these bast4rds have sold us out to Russia.

And I for one say “приветствовать” to our new Russia overlords.

dogbone

Add to the list –

if Boris breaks the Good Friday Agreement (with hard border) then US Irish (a very powerful lobby) will ensure no UK / US trade deal.

frankconway

oldman – not mutual back slapping but….your two consecutive posts above are bang on; there is so much which will directly impact on lifelong tory middle class voters – loss of (perceived) entitlement, increased costs in many different forms.
    Dice still rolling….
    As for cummings ‘strategic genius’ – hugely effective in two campaigns; other than that, toxic and has no useful role – cameron was right in telling gove to get rid when he was an education dept spad.
    The red wall voters will neither forgive nor forget when they don’t get what they thought had been promised.
    Core tory voters will realise they should have been more questioning of johnson, his ‘promises’ and a hard brexit.
    I stand by my prediction up there ^^^ that cummings will be gone by mid year.

frankconway

dogbone, yes that’s a very good point; will also risk major flare-up of sectarian violence.
    Would he want that on his cv? A good way to guarantee pariah status.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I don’t think he cares as long as the people around him are blowing smoke up his arse.

dudeofdoom

dogbone, yes that’s a very good point; will also risk major flare-up of sectarian violence.

Dunno… could also push reunification.

We probably need an Irish/NI STW’er’s viewpoint/take on this.

MoreCashThanDash

Where are people “reading about the Russia report”? Cos I really want that released, the lies and delays must be for a reason.

AD

Russia report might see light of day when there is a massive spike in Corona virus or Meghan stabs the Queen to keep it off the front page…

kilo

Why would the tories want to delay anything about Russia? Makes you think doesn’t it (oh god I’m turning into JHJ or whatever his current id is)

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/feb/27/lubov-chernukhin-tories-tennis-record-donor-uk-russia

tomd
    Free Member

But I doubt in even the most rural seats famers would swing the vote 🙂

There’s Scarry’s Law postulated by the Economist that states:

politicians mess at their peril with groups that feature in children’s books—farmers, fishermen, train drivers and suchlike

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

so, also, wizards and crime-solving teams of seven year olds?

dannyh
    Free Member

wizards

Well one appears to have ‘vanished’ our dear leader.

Where is Alexander Boris Picaninnies Watermelon Letterboxes Wallspaffer Bumboys De Pfeffel Johnson?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Self-isolating after not properly reading a briefing paper on Coronavirus?

binners

They were asking the same question on’t radio this morning, when the political editor of the FT also asked what has this government actually done in the 100 days since being elected?

His answer: absolutely nothing at all!

So maybe it’s best that Joris stays on his holidays. God only knows what he’d get up to if he could actually be bothered. His inherent laziness is really a godsend.

And at least his continued refusal to put his wellies on will end once and for all the idea that he actually gives a shit about anything

frankconway

johnson will be chairing COBRA covid-19 meeting on Monday.
    With storm Jorge due, will he also show some (feigned) interest in flood-hit areas and visit?

dannyh
    Free Member

Self-isolating after not properly reading a briefing paper on Coronavirus?

Made me chuckle.

epicyclo

maccruiskeen

Johnson will be chairing COBRA covid-19 meeting on Monday.

”quick, assemble the emergency committee!”

”now?”

”no, after the weekend”

chestrockwell

Understandable as he’ll need to recover from the week long bender he’s on.

frankconway

Does gov have drugs and alcohol policy for PM, ministers and spads?
    True random testing – without notice – would give some ‘interesting’ results, I’m sure.
    If it’s good enough for business it should also be good enough for our ‘leaders’.

Poopscoop

Surly Boris is due to go on holiday again by now?

Poopscoop

Anna Soubry putting the boot in to Boris on ch 4 news over the virus response,or lack of.Lol😁

I’m no fan of hers, simply always nice to see people laying in to Boris.

Klunk
    Free Member

you get the government and pm you deserve. the electorate have shown they really couldn’t careless (about poverty, the environment, NHS etc) so the government and pm don’t give a shit in return.

stewmur

Just as some football teams retire a shirt number when the player who wore it is deemed to be the ultimate in that role it may be time for the Conservative party to consider retiring the phrase ‘lying ****’

theotherjonv

The government / cabinet’s going well isn’t it….

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51687287

Viewing 40 posts - 1,521 through 1,560 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.