• This topic has 16,052 replies, 653 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by kimbers.
Viewing 40 posts - 14,041 through 14,080 (of 16,053 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • Premier Icon frankconway

maybe it would be best to ignore posts by ernie, kelvin and the others in the small crew of persistent posters who delight in their little echo chambers as they have become tiresome in the extreme – retreading old posts but…why?
    I pay a full digital and print subscription for a magazine I don’t read because I believe in supporting small businesses.
    So much of the verbiage posted on the political threads is from ‘free members’; I’ve commented before and my views haven’t changed – free loaders persistently shooting their mouths off on a forum which they don’t support financially should be ignored.
    A ‘free member’ posting occasionally is OK by me; if you have lots to say, make a financial contribution.

Premier Icon dazh
    Free Member

Rumours in Tory HQ at Easter that there were pics of him doing coke in No 10.

And? Cocaine use is widespread in the UK, especially at higher levels in politics and business. Why is that a major surprise? Same goes for booze. Drug taking in politics and wider society is endemic. If there’s anything to be outraged about Johnson’s (and everyone else’s) drug use it’s the hypocrisy of supporting prohibition despite their own habitual use.

Premier Icon kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

And? Cocaine use is widespread in the UK, especially at higher levels in politics and business.

Oh, that’s ok then. The prime minister can do whatever he wants as long as lots of other people are also doing it.

I mean, it’s not like his position comes with any sort of responsibility or indeed obligation to, y’know, lead by example.

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

I pay a full digital and print subscription for a magazine I don’t read because I believe in supporting small businesses.
    So much of the verbiage posted on the political threads is from ‘free members’; I’ve commented before and my views haven’t changed – free loaders persistently shooting their mouths off on a forum which they don’t support financially should be ignored

They support them financially through ads – free members endure adverts – that’s the deal on the table.

I was a premium subscriber for 10years but had so many issues with the website it started to be a waste of money. The money itself is not really an issue for me.

You are suggesting that just because you don’t like what’s being said then you have to pay for that privilege?

I’m seeing more examples of random ways of trying to cull opinions by posters – it’s frankly bizarre and tells you a lot about the state of politics that people can’t deal with it.

Premier Icon shermer75
    Free Member

And? Cocaine use is widespread in the UK, especially at higher levels in politics and business. Why is that a major surprise? Same goes for booze.

It’s about the law, really

Premier Icon nickc

You will not see one Tory supporter post on this thread

There used to be significant contributions from Tory supporters on stw

It used to happen regularly on here a few years ago

Constantly saying the same thing over and over again, while simultaneously complaining that binners constantly derails threads with the same gifs and monty python jokes…

There’s a word for that.

Premier Icon binners
    Free Member

And while the same 5 posters completely derail another thread by reducing it to their favourite subject… talking about themselves again, this is happening today…

Anything to actually say about the topic of Boris and co at all, or shall we just all keep on talking about you and occasionally Keir Starmer?

Boris and co, – remember… the one who this thread is meant to be about – in a fit of pique at not being allowed to do whatever the **** they like, are about to start tearing up our human rights.

They want to pick and choose which rights we should, or shouldn’t, be entitled too. And they’ve tasked these hugely important decisions to Dominic Raab. The Patrick Bateman of UK politics. A man who constantly looks like he’s just murdered a prostitute with a hammer while listening to Phl Collins

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

Anything to actually say about the topic of Boris and co at all, or shall we just all keep on talking about you and occasionally Keir Starmer?

I responded to your ‘anything to say about the rail strike query – in this thread.’

Yeah I will keep on talking about Starmer when he doesn’t kick back hard enough against Johnson.

Otherwise this is just a newsfeed without context of constant Tory suprise.

Boris and Co now? You expanded it.

In fact where is Starmer? Seems like Mick Lynch is doing his job.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Free Member

Has the fingerprints of lynton Crosby all over it

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

Why not go and visit the thread thats specifically about that subject and ask there?

Just a thought?

Thought you might know? And you’re in this thread and not in the other.

Premier Icon binners
    Free Member

There you go then.

Glad to be of assistance

Have a nice day

Premier Icon nickc

Yeah I will keep on talking about Starmer when he doesn’t kick back hard enough

So while pretty much everyone with half a mind on politics has realised that Starmer’s largely ineffectual, you want you keep talking about him, but while Johnson breaks everything within reach in a desperate attempt to remain in power you’re not really bothered as it “Just the the Tories”

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

Sunak says he’s using all the tools to help bring down inflation this morning.

Ah okay.

Up 0.1% from April – May to 9.1

He has no tools – the BoE have no tools. They are tools.

Premier Icon stumpyjon
    Free Member

And? Cocaine use is widespread in the UK, especially at higher levels in politics and business.

And now we’re completely through the looking glass as one of the resident lefties actually appears to defend Johnson!!!!!!!

The toxic intolerance on here that drives the political debate emanates from the same for 4 or 5 freloading (free members), that’s why anyone right of Marx doesn’t like posting, and the continued insistence that anyone not fully in favour of the glorious revolution is a hateful human being. You 5 need to take a long hard look at yourselves and understand the impact of your contributions.

Premier Icon kimbers
    Free Member

It’s blindingly obvious that the RW press & Johnson want to try & pin it on starmer & labour

Meanwhile inflation is at a record high, gas prices are going to be punishingly expensive this winter and Johnson has managed to stir up hatred of assylum seekers to keep the base onside

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

So while pretty much everyone with half a mind on politics has realised that Starmer’s largely ineffectual, you want you keep talking about him, but while Johnson breaks everything within reach in a desperate attempt to remain in power you’re not really bothered as it “Just the the Tories”

Taken as a whole rather than each particular post I’ve done my fair share of hating Tories.

The only route to success is a strong opposition. And asking why the people that represent you aren’t pushing back hard enough against the Tories is entirely relevent and probably represents about 2% of this entire thread.

If Binners had not thrown a pathetic wobbly about my Brexity-Starmer-aping Tory FOM article (entirely in context as it’s Tory like behaviour) then we wouldn’t be here now.

If Tory behaviour is so bad then let’s not let the opposition get away with it letting it happen just because there’s a thread for hiding it away.

Premier Icon dissonance

Boris and co, – remember… the one who this thread is meant to be about – in a fit of pique at not being allowed to do whatever the **** they like

Aside from its clearly not a fit of pique but a long standing policy in the right of the tory party and a convenient bone to toss to them from time to time.
    The more concerning question is if they get rid of it then what do they have as the new enemy.

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

The toxic intolerance on here that drives the political debate emanates from the same for 4 or 5 freloading (free members), that’s why anyone right of Marx doesn’t like posting, and the continued insistence that anyone not fully in favour of the glorious revolution is a hateful human being. You 5 need to take a long hard look at yourselves and understand the impact of your contributions.

A thread built on the hate of Johnson is not Toxic perhaps for Tory supporters?

Toxic is wielded out by people who don’t like the contents of particular threads.

I’ve only ever had one personal attack – once by Binners – and I really didn’t care.

Not enough for me in any way shape or form to call him toxic. Politics is heated. Fine by me.

I mostly enjoy all the contributions on here.

Premier Icon binners
    Free Member

The more concerning question is if they get rid of it then what do they have as the new enemy.

Thats fairly obvious… the unions (again)

I don’t know if you’re watching Sherwood on BBC1 at the moment? (its absolutely brilliant BTW). It’s set today but references the miners strike constantly. It’s scary how what we’re seeing at present mirrors it almost exactly. The Tory government actively wanted the miners strike. They wanted a ‘war’ with ‘the enemy within’.

The same today with this mob, who are after all a low-rent, threadbare Thatcher tribute act. They actively want to start a war through the summer with the unions as part of their casually destructive divide-and-rule philosophy

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

Signed up again as a paid member. I’m paying to hate Johnson.

Feel empowered now.

Must watch Sherwood, just up road from me.

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

The Tory government actively wanted the miners strike. They wanted a ‘war’ with ‘the enemy within’.

Documented by your mate – Seumas Milne in his book – the enemy within.

Premier Icon binners
    Free Member

I don’t need a London-based, millionaire, Stalin-apologist to document it for me thanks. I’m old enough to have seen it first-hand. I went past Parkside colliery twice a day on my journey too and from school at the height of the miners strike. I had plenty of mates who’s dads were striking miners

Premier Icon eddiebaby

I see the tories have promised to give us pensioners a double digit increase to help with inflation. Useful timing with elections just round the corner.

Premier Icon binners
    Free Member

Watching Tory Justice minister Victoria Atkins jumping through hoops on Newsnight last night, trying to justify that a 10% rise in pensions wouldn’t be inflationary, whereas below inflation pay rises for workers would be, did illustrate the nonsensical nature of ‘policy’ (such as it is)

Schrödinger’s inflation?

Premier Icon Richie_B
    Free Member

I mean, it’s not like his position comes with any sort of responsibility or indeed obligation to, y’know, lead by example.

350 pages of ‘debate’ summed up in a sentence

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Free Member

Another day another Law change, this time by Raab legalising the UK Courts as the only authority on Human Rights the UK recognises… to allow the Rwanda policy to continue.

Now that they’ve discovered they can change laws to suit themselves we really are in a banana republic.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

while simultaneously complaining that binners constantly derails threads with the same gifs and monty python jokes…

Not me mate, you are confusing me with somewhere else – l love binners hilarious stills from Monty Python. I have repeatedly said that I find reading stuff without pictures boring.

Did you see the picture of “ernie and the 3 quid trots” on the previous page? Oh how I laughed. I have told binners previously how much it makes me feel special, I like to think that’s why he feels the need to post it endlessly.

Besides, posting stuff like that and the same few stills from Monty Python is a good indication that he’s run out of things to say. It’s hardly boosts his arguments does it?

Premier Icon rone
    Free Member

The whole inflationary debate via income is a Tory stunt (especially given the fact that both public and private sector pay is hugely suppressed.) People think inflation is always caused by too much money which avoids the facts that historically strong examples of inflation and hyperinflation are driven by the supply-side.

We can’t on the one had observe a shrinking economy and then say there’s too much money buying things.

It’s ridiculous.

(And then on the other hand Steve Barclay asking for less restrictions on pay for the financial lot. )

Premier Icon kelvin

Raab on Radio4 now…

“we’ve got to stop making the problem worse” … and straight onto wages … the problem isn’t wages

Asked about why pensions can rise but not wages… I couldn’t discern an actual answer… just lots of blather about how “fundamentally strong” the economy is.

On ECHR… is saying the problem is that national politicians don’t have the ultimate say when it comes to human rights… which of course is the whole reason we set it up the way we did in the 20th Century.

Premier Icon binners
    Free Member

Another day another Law change, this time by Raab legalising the UK Courts as the only authority on Human Rights the UK recognises… to allow the Rwanda policy to continue.

Now that they’ve discovered they can change laws to suit themselves we really are in a banana republic.

I’m going to put a bet on their next move.

Having made the UK Supreme Court the final arbiter of all legal judgements, not the ECHR, they will then seek to do away with the independent commission which appoints the judges to the supreme court and make the appointments political instead, US style.

Premier Icon martinhutch
    Free Member

“we’ve got to stop making the problem worse” … and straight onto wages … the problem isn’t wages

Imagine vilifying the train drivers for having the temerity to request a 2% pay cut in real terms. Interesting that Simon Clark MP was specifically ruling out ‘double digit’ pay increases a couple of days ago. That, to me, suggests that they will cave to the unions in some regard and then blame them for inflation from here onwards.

PS Compare and contrast the useless inarticulate bumbling **** we have as PM with Mick Lynch. It is time to do away with the niceties of trying to have a good faith debate against these dissembling arseholes.

Premier Icon tjagain

I still see no discussion on what the abolition of human rights in engalnd means for the devolved parliaments. In scotaland the declaration of human rights is embedded deeply in scots law and cannot be changed without holyrood consent

Thus the full range of human rights and remedies will still be available in scotland ( and I think Wales and NI)

Premier Icon binners
    Free Member

TJ – as with most things they do, they’re opening a can of worms who’s consequences they haven’t even begun to properly consider.

What is obvious is that they are increasingly behaving like a totalitarian regime and trying to steamroller through legislation which will do away with human rights fought for over centuries, even if that contravenes international law

I can’t see them being any more respectful of the devolved governments than they are of the European courts. They’ve already made it clear they want to ‘return’ a lot of the devolved powers to Westminster

They are constitutional vandals here who just want to smash everything up and remake it in the narrow interests of a small section of society

Premier Icon intheborders
    Free Member

They want to pick and choose which rights we should, or shouldn’t, be entitled too.

“Which human rights do YOU want to lose?”

Should be asked by any journalist talking to any politician every time one of them supports changes/removal of human rights.

Asked about why pensions can rise but not wages… I couldn’t discern an actual answer… just lots of blather about how “fundamentally strong” the economy is.

Last night the ex-Pension Minister Altman was getting herself in a similar cul-de-sac on LBC – simultaneously arguing that upping the State Pension wouldn’t impact inflation but paying the same percentage to public sector employees would.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

Under the proposal the UK will remain a signatory to the European convention on human rights but the Human Rights Act will be abolished and replaced with a Bill of Rights.

I think human rights legislation is a nightmare at the best of times and this proposal will complicate matters even more and also result in the inevitable unintended consequences.

Plus of course the intended but not declared consequences.

The leader of the opposition would ideally need to be some sort of lawyer to challenge the government and spell out clearly to voters the likely consequences.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

A ‘free member’ posting occasionally is OK by me; if you have lots to say, make a financial contribution.

No thanks, will stay as I am and just put up with the adverts. If stuff on the internet is not ‘free’ (ad based revenue) I don’t tend to use it as it is not worth spending money on.
    I did used to buy the magazine in the old days but buying magazines is in the quaint category nowadays.

Premier Icon nickc

Read full digital edition of Daily Mail newspaper from UK

mentalists

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

Sunak says he’s using all the tools to help bring down inflation this morning.

Ah okay.

Up 0.1% from April – May to 9.1

He has no tools – the BoE have no tools. They are tools.

Please stop derailing this thread with comments about Rishi Sunak.

Premier Icon hels
    Free Member

In a related topic – the BBC went full Russia TV this morning. A good 30 mins of public service messages from the Government of Rwanda about what a good place they are to invest. I had to check I was actually awake! Not lost in some dystopian Black Mirror nightmare.

Viewing 40 posts - 14,041 through 14,080 (of 16,053 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.