• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 13,161 through 13,200 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • theotherjonv

People ( on this thread?) were stating that we should pay MPs more FFS really? this lot are not worth a penny chew

correct but missing the point a bit – should be paid enough to attract real talent, but at the same time no second jobs or bent cash for questions type shenanigans.

The ‘attracting real talent’ would disbar a load of the current incumbents, that’s for sure. Dorries is like a slow-mo car crash you can’t stop rewinding to watch again.

kelvin

So sorry…

binners

From a few months ago, but seems apt today

spawnofyorkshire

@kelvin – I just came here to post the same thing. Why am I not surprised he thinks that? I’m currently a weird mix of livid and yet despondent

I just want the morally bankrupt turd gone. I’ve got to the point where i mute him whenever he’s speaking now.

tjagain

My point is that there are plenty of folk who want to be MPs – the salary is no deterrent to applicants and there are thousands and thousands of very competent people for whom that would be a huge payrise. folk like headteachers etc

How come and oversubscribed position we need to pay huge sums to attract talent but in other places ( teaching, social work, healthcare) this does not apply

Paying more will not increase the pool of talent IMO – just increase the number of snouts in trough types. We need folk with a public service ethos

tjagain

Anyway – sorry – we did this one to death. I just thought the current shower show why its not money that is needed but electoral refom so loons don’t get elected

binners

So, Boris isn’t actually sorry at all about Partygate?

Surely not?!

I’ve not been this shocked since George Michael came out! 😳

He did such a good job of looking humble and contrite I don’t suppose anyone would ever have been able to tell. He was just so damn convincing!!

kimbers

just came here to post the same thing. Why am I not surprised he thinks that? I’m currently a weird mix of livid and yet despondent

Me three!

Has he actually just given up and wants to lose?

This morning I was certain he’d win the confidence vote.
    But the tweets from his supporters and Johnson himself seem increasingly desperate

lamp
    Free Member

I don’t know whether anyone has posted this before? It’s an excellent summary of Boris’ ‘career’. It says all you need to know really.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cedi4BhI5nP/

Let’s home it’s a bad night for Senor Johnson. Roll on 9pm!

kelvin

From the very first post in this thread from years ago…

He lies, he’s lied all the time, he has no integrity and must be held accountable for all his previous statements.

…will he actually start to be held accountable? Why do I doubt it…? He’ll carry on getting away with it, won’t he.

kimbers

Poor showing for the Yorkshire party

Kryton57

Let’s home it’s a bad night for Senor Johnson. Roll on 9pm!

I’ve a feeling it won’t be, rapturous applause at his speech earlier so it’s reported. He’ll win, claim what a winner he is and that everything before the weekend should be swept under the carpet, shaft a few people who thought they were getting a new job tomorrow and carry on tearing this country a new arsehole. Unfortunately.

shermer75
    Free Member

That LedbyDonkeys insta post is well worth a watch^^

@lamp
    thanks for posting!

binners

Well, our spineless Boris-cheerleading Brexiteer shithouse of a Tory MP has released a statement saying he fully backs Johnson

A bold move for a man sat on a majority of a mere 100 votes

tjagain

I am fairly sure he will win the vote but not by a lot and thus limp on damaged further and continue to drag the tory party down. IMO the best scenario for the country

BillMC

They don’t get paid a lot to attract talent, they get paid a lot because they set their own wages and exes. Pay them the average wage, you’d still get talent but representative talent.

scuttler

A bold move for a man sat on a majority of a mere 100 votes

if he ain’t already planning for a new job…

finephilly
    Free Member

What’s the betting that even if he loses this vote, Johnson will try and stay?!

jobro
    Free Member

tjagain

I am fairly sure he will win the vote but not by a lot and thus limp on damaged further and continue to drag the tory party down. IMO the best scenario for the country

I think this will probably be the case. Limp on? Yes, but there will be a triumphalist spin on it!

tjagain

If he loses I think he will try to call an election and bring the whole lot down with him. He has threatened that in the past.

ratherbeintobago

And if he wins they’ll limp on and he’ll lost all the upcoming by elections.

ferrals
    Free Member

Realistically, he’s going to win. Hopefully the drip drip of photos, stories etc will then intensify, the privileges committee will find he did lie, and the tories will be highlighted for what craven fools they are before he is obliged to resign based on the code (which I appreciate is a guideline but I think the 22 committee could probably force him out).

Re. MPs and salaries – I think the easiest way to get good candidates would be to get rid of having to be in London (unless actually PM and cabinet), do everything virtually with the Houses of Parliament turned into a hotel/theme park. Also make some kind of birth/ 7 year residency criteria for standing for a constituency like in sport

slowoldman

Poor showing for the Yorkshire party

What’s their manifesto?

Hear all, see all, say nowt.
    Eat all, sup all, pay nowt.

pondo

Tom Harwood here, with an amazing exclusive:

Does he get paid for this kind of content? I’d be asking for a refund… 🙂

fatoldgit

I don’t think there is much chance of Boris losing tonight’s vote.
    It’s more a question of how many votes he gets….
    Less than 200 and I reckon it’s only a matter of time
    More than 250, and we’re stuck with him
    Over 300 and not only stuck but he won’t shut up

200 – 250, and it’s going to be an interesting time for rabbits out of hats etc to get more votes banked for the next general election

dazh

Realistically, he’s going to win.

Realistically no one knows and it’s on a knife edge. There’s a lot of animosity and naked ambition around so I bet there’s a lot MPs supporting him in public then knifing him in the back. Liz Truss for example, she’ll never get another chance, however slim, of being PM so she’ll be voting against. Same goes for Gove and any of the other nutters who fancy their chances in a leadership election. Then there’ll be the ministers who’ve been offered jobs by the likes of Hunt et al. So on top of all the backbenchers who hate him there’ll be a fair number of govt ministers voting to get rid.

stumpyjon

There might even be a few Tory Mps who actually want him gone for the tight reasons as well, you know every little helps. I won’t believe he’s actually gone until he leaves no 10 with his things in a cardboard box Cummings style.

MoreCashThanDash

thousands of very competent people for whom that would be a huge payrise. folk like headteachers etc

Depends how big their acadamy/trust is.

longdog
    Free Member

Is it just me or is having the news presenters outside no.10 on the news with head mics on a new thing?

No ambient sound at all, just their voices. Makes me wonder if there’s aot of racket, i.e. booking going in there, though I’m sure they’d be happy to show that.

revs1972
    Free Member

What’s the betting that even if he loses this vote, Johnson will try and stay?!

By changing the rules so he doesn’t have to go 😂

binners

Theresa May turned up to vote dressed to party in a ball gown 😂

kimbers

Hmmm

wooksterbo

Nothing to add but he’ll win the vote and the ****show will continue 😔

Kryton57

Hopefully we’ll find out before Love Island starts at 9pm.

ctk
    Free Member

I think he’s gone.

ransos
    Free Member

Hmmm

But that’s fewer than the number of letters required to trigger the vote…

dazh
    crazy-legs

I think he’s gone.

I don’t think so. He’s got an uncanny ability to wriggle out of everything, the problem is how much he wins by. As @fatoldgit says above – more than about 250 and he won’t shut up about how he’s been vindicated, the country wants him to move forward, deliver on Brexit yada yadda.

tjagain

he will survive this I think but be further wounded and will continually have to face down rebellions in the house

Kryton57

Kimbers, that chart you’ve posted was from just prior Theresa’s May vote – its mot indicative of Johnson. The caption that goes with it is :

Election Maps UK has broken down what happened in 2018 when former Conservative prime minister Theresa May faced a confidence vote in her leadership.

In 2018, 79% of those who did not issue a statement either way voted no confidence in Theresa May.

That number would need to rise to 85% for Boris Johnson to lose the confidence of his party.

Viewing 40 posts - 13,161 through 13,200 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.