Viewing 40 posts - 8,641 through 8,680 (of 11,730 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • Premier Icon martinhutch

“The government is going from strength to strength”

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears.

Premier Icon greyspoke
    Free Member

The police cannot clear anyone. All they can do is decide to prosecute or not. If they decide not to prosecute it would be either “not in the public interest” or “insufficient evidence”. Either decision would be subject to legal challenge via judicial review, I think. It wouldn’t go away. Only the magistrates can “clear” Boris/No 10, which requires a decision to prosecute.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout

binners

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Full Membe</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>I’m sure that kicking the Grey Report into the long grass for Boris will earn Cressida her place in the Lords</span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”> </span>

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Thats the normal payoff, isn’t i</span><span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>t?.r it?</span>

That was exactly my thought. Quick WhatsApp to Cessy Cressy and he’s bought himself a few months.

Premier Icon onehundredthidiot
    Free Member

It’s not even the police who decide to prosecute or not. They investigate and present the case/evidence to prosecutor (CPS or PF).

Premier Icon zippykona

The **** going to get away with it isn’t he?
    Let’s hope Cummings has got even more dirt, or is he not allowed to say anything else?

Premier Icon dazh

Not sure if it’s dawned on labour and tory rebels that the normal rules don’t apply. Johnson, the government, the cabinet office, and the met are all in on the conspiracy to keep him in power. They’re not going to remove him with normal procedures, so Starmer/labour need to do something else. Calling for a vote of no confidence in the commons would be a start. When that fails lead his MPs out of parliament and don’t let them back until Johnson is gone. Mobilise the public sector unions to organise protests and strikes. Get people out on the streets. Of course he won’t do any of this because he supports and is part of the same establishment that is keeping Johnson and his cronies in power. The whole system is rotten to the core.

Premier Icon tthew

I think if there’s one thing we do know about Cummings, it’s he’s not particularly bothered about what he is, or isn’t allowed to do.

Premier Icon piha
    Free Member

Calling for a vote of no confidence in the commons would be a start.

Utterly pointless.

Bozza would defeat any such move and that would leave him to do as he pleases for another 12 months or so. We are stuck with Bozza and his inept colleagues until someone in the tory Party emerges as a viable election winner. All thanks to the populist, Brexit voting, red wall constituents that delivered such as resounding margin of victory in the last G.E.

I’m starting to think that Labour/SKS is possibly doing the right thing by not pushing too hard and allowing Bozza stumble on like a drunk leaving Whetherspoons at midnight. The longer Bozza is in place the more damage he ultimately does to The Party. Labour/SKS could never damage the tories like Bozza is!

Premier Icon ac282

Getting the MET involved helps Johnson.

They’ll investigate for months and then decide either that there isn’t enough evidence to prosecute, or that it would not be in the public interest.

If Starmer calls a VONC in the mean time, the Tory’s will accuse him of attempting to influence the investigation.

Premier Icon tjagain

piha

If labour call a VONC its in the tory government and is a vote of all MPS.  There is no rule that you cannot do it again for a year.  You can have one every day if you want

The tory party can hold a VONC in Johnson as the leader of the party.  Thats an internal tory party vote and that has the rule that he would be safe for a  year

But you are right in that its pointless posturing.  It would fail and boost Johnson significantly.  You only call a VONC if you have a decent chance of winning or you want to force a small party in a coalition into a difficult corner.

Premier Icon rsl1
    Free Member

All thanks to the populist, Brexit voting, red wall constituents that delivered such as resounding margin of victory in the last G.E.

Let’s not play the blame game. You could just as easily say the same about the rich selfish masses in the south who’ve been voting the Tories in for years and ultimately caused all the issues that led to the red wall votes.

Premier Icon Richie_B

The **** going to get away with it isn’t he?

The way things are playing out sound like a conspiracy theorist’s fever dream…

On top of the conveniently timed MET investigation and the wall to wall new speak being put out by the government, the new criminal justice will arrive just in time to criminalise any entirely justified demonstrations (which might possibly be noisy or cause offence).

Has JHJ got a job in the Cabinet Office?

The House of Commons and the Speaker of the House have proved entirely ineffective in holding the lies to account. The honourable thing for the Labour Party, SNP etc to do would be to accuse Boris in plain English of being a serial liar. Once every opposition MP has been named and removed from the chamber it might show what a tin pot system we currently have.

Premier Icon dazh

But you are right in that its pointless posturing.

It’s really not. It shows they’re doing everything in their power to remove him, it would bind Tory MPs to Johnson’s fate and prevent them from separating themselves from him, and more than anything else signals to the public that they should be the judges via a general election. If they do nothing labour are in danger of looking like a useless and ineffective opposition. People will say they are weak and useless because they couldn’t get rid of the most useless and corrupt PM in living memory.

Premier Icon onehundredthidiot
    Free Member

Presumably the Met (let’s not lump all forces in with this farce) will be investigating potential wrongdoing from which prosecutions may come. (yes i know they won’t but…)
    That being the case interviews will presumably be official, so under caution. Any lies or deliberatly misleadin information will be an offence.

Premier Icon piha
    Free Member

Let’s not play the blame game. You could just as easily say the same about the rich selfish masses in the south who’ve been voting the Tories in for years and ultimately caused all the issues that led to the red wall votes.

It is very much the Red Wall voters that have delivered this majority, Bozza isn’t a true tory, he’s a shameless populist that doesn’t do detail and the Red Wall lapped it up. Does anyone of the Red Wall really believe Bozza will deliver? Bozza has played his hand exceptionally well, he has delivered a thumping tory majority, greatly reduced the influence of the irksome pro-European MPs of the tory Party and delivered the vaccine (all single handedly it would appear if some of the comments from his devout followers are to be believed).

The voters in the southern Shires did deliver the tory majorities of the past but the tories can no longer rely on their votes, especially as many of those tory voters get older & older. Many of the voters in the Shires see through Bozza and his populist rhetoric, look at the recent by-elections.

If labour call a VONC its in the tory government and is a vote of all MPS. There is no rule that you cannot do it again for a year. You can have one every day if you want

TJ – you are correct but with his 80 seat majority, Bozza is safe.

The tories are drunk on power and they will do anything to maintain their grip on No 10. The last thing they want to do is lose their biggest vote winner but they do have some repair work to do.

Premier Icon tjagain

It would strengthen Johnsons position by forcing MPs to get behind him and make it much harder for them to remove him because even for tories to support a Johnsons goverment in a VONC makes it too much of a obvious hypocritical stance to then oust him in an internal VONC

Johnson could then continually claim he has the support of the HOC behind him.

Calling a VONC that you will lose heavily merely strengthens the party in power, binds them together and makes the party calling it look weak and foolish

Premier Icon fadda

But the converse might be that, because it binds them to Boris, they all go down when he eventually sinks the ship…?

Premier Icon piha
    Free Member

It’s really not. It shows they’re doing everything in their power to remove him, it would bind Tory MPs to Johnson’s fate

It really is.

The only people that can rid us of the hapless Bozza is Bozza or his own Party. Their majority is just far too big. I think the only real thing SKS/Labour can do is let Bozza destroy his own Premiership and highlight his shortcomings. Time will tell though…..

Premier Icon binners

Johnson would absolutely walk a VONC if it was called by the labour party at the moment. Any disgruntlement with backbench MPs would evaporate once the whips and their own constituency associations got on to them.

He’d then use his bolstered position by declaring it a ringing endorsement of his premiership and immediately sell off the BBC, abolish all workers rights, start a war with France and god knows what else

Starmer would have to be mental to call for one. Why start a war you know that you’ll lose?

I’m afraid the only people who can rid us of the flytipped sofa at the moment are those sat behind him. And they’ll only do that of their own accord

Premier Icon dazh

they all go down when he eventually sinks the ship…?

Indeed. There’s a bigger picture beyond getting rid of Boris, which is beating his successor in a GE. To do that they need to ensure the shit also sticks to Sunak/Truss/Hunt/whoever.

Premier Icon kelvin

The public are being made very aware that it is Tory MPs that keep Johnson in his post. They are bound to him if they don’t speak out against him, and call for him to go. There is no need for a parliamentary VONC to “bind Tory MPs to Johnson”.

Premier Icon dazh

Johnson would absolutely walk a VONC

Of course he would, that’s the whole point. See above. Johnson is already finished, labour need to be looking to what comes next.

Premier Icon tthew

It is very much the Red Wall voters that have delivered this majority

I really don’t agree with that. There’s not much red, (or any other colour) down south on this map. Sure, the red wall made a difference to the size of the majority, but the traditional Tory heartlands are pretty solid/reliable below the midlands.

Premier Icon stumpyjon

The biggest issue with the MET investigating is that we might get a few low ranking civil servants charged but can you really see a sitting PM being charged for this sort of thing, I can’t. It’s politicising the MET again. Cressida really is a Dick.

Premier Icon tjagain

An interesting take on it from Mays former chief of staff.  Needs the whole thread but he thinks its very damaging

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

Guardian reporting that the Met police are quite happy for the Gray report to be published this week, its a govt. decision to delay it.

Premier Icon Northwind

jhinwxm
    Free Member

The Sue Gray report will be a whitewash. Waste of time, as are most things of this nature where corrupt politicians etc are involved. Nothing genuine or sincere ever comes out of government these days.

I’m not so sure… If the report really was going to be a whitewash, I don’t think they’d have pulled this trick with the Met investigation to kick it down the road. You don’t delay it if it’s the outcome you want, you get it out fast and say “completely exonerated” and “it was all just Labour playing politics”

Premier Icon nickjb
    Free Member

There’s not much red, (or any other colour) down south on this map.

It’s not a great map for showing where the red is. Better to split by constituency or population.

map

There is a southern bias but it’s actually more of rural/urban split if anything

Premier Icon tthew

I wonder if this will convince enough of the back-bencher MP’s who were waiting on publication of the Grey report to chuck a 1922 letter in now.

edit – those modified maps make it look even less like the North is to blame for a Tory government to my eye! Interesting views though, like those, thanks.

Premier Icon ransos
    Free Member

There is a southern bias but it’s actually more of rural/urban split if anything

I was going to say the same thing. The big English and Welsh cities are all heavily Labour.

Premier Icon dantsw13
    Free Member

…………very like the US dem/rep split then.

If delaying the report is a political decision rather than necessitated by the police enquiry, there’s no way he will get away with it. If as many Tories as we understand are waiting for the report before deciding on his fate, that’s a big fat guilty indicator.

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

I guess it depends how heavily that gets reported, if the public aren’t generally aware then it might not make a difference. I’d hope that Labour pick up on this and ask for the release of the report. If I was in a conservative constituency I’d email my MP saying they should ask for it to be released

edit. if framed properly I think the decision to withhold the report could be just as embarrasing for the tories as the parties themselves

Premier Icon martinhutch

Kier Starmer now has this angle to attack tomorrow as well. Islamophobia, illegal parties, blackmailing your own MPs and cover-ups too. How many questions does he get?

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

They’ll investigate for months and then decide either that there isn’t enough evidence to prosecute, or that it would not be in the public interest.

For the umpteenth time, the Met don’t make those decisions, the CPS do.

Premier Icon tthew

If I was in a conservative constituency I’d email my MP saying they should ask for it to be released

I’ve not bothered contacting my Labour MP about all this shit before, but actually I think asking him to try and get the opposition request the report is released might be worth doing.

Premier Icon tjagain

How many questions does he get?

6 IIRC

Premier Icon ferrals
    Free Member

@martinhutch – it’s just a shame it isn’t live on prime time TV!

@tthew
    – good point, I’ll probably email my MP about that as well

Premier Icon tjagain

More leaks

The Met have no objection to the Grey report being publisedh according to “sources”

I really have seen nothing like this in my life.  The amount of arrogance and deceit, the leaking and the 4th rate MPs attempting to defend the indefensible while anyone with half a brain is running as fast as they can in the other direction

Premier Icon binners

I really have seen nothing like this in my life.

I think it’s a sign of how desensitised to this shit we’ve become over the last few years that each new ‘revelation’ that is leaked, complete with the blatant rule-breaking, lying, deceit and cover-up it exposes is just whats expected. Just par for the course with this gang of morally bankrupt shysters.

I just can’t see how anyone can defend it or come away with any other impression than them just laughing at you and treating us all with utter contempt

Premier Icon kilo

For the umpteenth time, the Met don’t make those decisions, the CPS do.

CPS make the decision to charge but not charging- the MPS could decide it doesn’t meet the threshold for seeking a charging decision, so could in theory bin it (although that would be a bit mental if you can pass the buck to cps)

Responsibility of the police;

“taking “no further action” in cases that cannot meet the appropriate evidential standard, without referral to a prosecutor;”

Viewing 40 posts - 8,641 through 8,680 (of 11,730 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.