• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 5,801 through 5,840 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • tjagain

Johnson says the government is reviewing the human rights system. He says Labour should back the nationality and borders bill.

NO political commentators ever point out the elephant in the room with this that the european convention on human rights is enshrined in both Holyrood and the welsh paliament – and Westminster has no power to alter that short of suspending both parliaments.  so whatever clever wheeze they come up with on this will be completely unworkable as the ECHR will still always apply in its entirety in Scotland and Wales

Its really amusing to me as any company working in all parts of the UK will still have to comply.  UK wide legislation will still have to comply, any Uk citizen residing in Scotland or wales will still be protected under it

they are setting themsleves up for a huge fail if they try to do this

gardentiger
    Free Member

This government think Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland are the equivalent to an English county each. And not a big county.

tjagain

As do the political commentators and the rest of the westminster political parties.

I just do not get why no one has pinned them on this

Klunk
    Free Member

binners

It’s worth watching the interview by Peston with Matt Hancock. A man so utterly lacking in self-awareness it defies belief.

A total car crash. Torn a new one by Jess Phillips

If he’s going to give the same answers to the public inquiry then I’m sure Boris will be relishing that

This was followed by Theresa Coffey, another intellectual colossus

We truly are ruled by utter morons

Poopscoop

It actually unusual for a career politician to look so uncomfortable even under pressure.

I suspect it’s because he knows it’s indefensible and to even attempt it just makes him look like more of a tosser.

The stench of corruption in this government is going to linger for a long time. I expect more tremendous will come out in time for the next election.

binners

And Macron acutely describes Johnson as ‘a clown’

Poopscoop

^^ And a knucklehead.lol

The US, have also said they won’t be removing Trump’s steel and aluminium tariffs from us over concerns we are going to screw up the NI protocol.

The tariffs on EU steel/ aluminium have been removed.

So basically we have yet another gun aimed at our head if we trigger article 16.

What is Frosty/ Boris to do?

kimbers

Hancock really is the lowest

Not the performance the Tories would’ve wanted on the eve of a byelection?

nickc

I’m not sure it will make that much difference TBH.

kimbers

I agree, reduced majority at best in Bexley, it just speaks to poor planing /leadership in the Tory PR machine

binners

What’s truly incredible is that that display was obviously little Matty’s idea of redemption and what he sees as the resurrection of his career.

I mean, how detached from reality can one person get?

I’m sure that in Tory Central they were just saying “please stop talking”

Can’t wait to see him getting a grilling when the public inquiry starts. I’m sure there are going to many many twitchy bums regarding that upcoming performance

dissonance

Who else could they get to go on and make fools of themselves though?
    The honest ones really wouldnt want to go out and defend this behaviour so you end up with just those who think its fine.

binners

Meanwhile; Liz does her best cosplay ‘look at me, I’m just like Maggie, honest!’ thing in preparation for her leadership bid

Dear god! Spare us this! Apparently its to ‘send a message’ to Putin. It’s just embarrassing

gardentiger
    Free Member

What is Frosty/ Boris to do?

Be all shouty in public, bang the drum, wave the flag then quietly accept a compromise that still damages the UK, but not quite as much as a total rift whilst sounding off about ‘devious foreigners punishing the UK for Brexit’.

It’s worked like a charm every time so far, why would they do any different now?

Klunk
    Free Member

The Express are backing Sunak, they ran with “Rishi I’m a low tax Tory” front page 2 days ago.

binners

Whoever it is, it looks like the knives are most definitely out for Boris. No doubt he’ll be despatched with the customary ruthlessness when the time is right

I’m sure they’re just waiting for him to be forced into ‘cancelling Christmas’ and other inevitable stuff that will have the Desmond Swaynes foaming at the mouth,
    before moving against him some time in the new year

gardentiger
    Free Member

Re the Jess Phillips interview above.

I have an acquaintance that works for Arco in a reasonably senior sales role. He unequivocally told me that Arco (as an established provider of PPE) called the ‘number’ for the government, but found themselves being messed about and ultimately frozen out of discussions. He also told me that (I don’t know how they found out) a mysterious new supplier that no one at Arco had ever heard of was in pole position to get the contract for that PPE and that they had insisted on exclusivity as a prerequisite.

Now I understand that normal procurement rules probably had to be suspended in the rush, but that kind of rigging and influence smacks of corruption, plain and simple. My acquaintance hinted that the mysterious new startup with the plum contract was someone with connections to ministers.

They weren’t even jumping in on a free for all – they were actively trying to rig the market to compete against pukka suppliers of PPE.

It stinks to high heaven, but the voters the New Tories appeal to won’t care.

willard

Private Eye has an article about this in the “Profits of Doom” article I am reading at the moment.

Northwind

I’ve said this before, but the thing about the PPE scandal isn’t even the money. I mean, the money’s a massive deal and should be enough to bring down governments. But even that is pretty trivial because while they were stealing money from everyone in the country they were also failing to provide PPE to people who needed it.

I wonder what the total death toll is. From the opportunity costs of not having that money to spend on services etc, and from the direct effect of people in frontline roles not having the PPE they needed.

binners

Absolutely. And from the reaction of Matt Hancock on Peston last night – and I’d say his attitude is no different to the rest of them – he genuinely couldn’t give a flying ****!

When that point was put to him, he may as well have shrugged and said ‘meh’.

The collective mindset of this lot is sociopathic, bordering on psychopathic.

nickc

There was an interview of a woman in the Old Bexley & Sidcup by-election who yesterday said that despite knowing that Johnson is a clown she’s still going to vote Tory because “Better the devil you know”

I somehow doubt that even given the contract rigging that clearly Matt and his mate from the pub very obviously did to hide from scrutiny, folks just really don’t care enough about it to change their vote

intheborders
    Free Member

It stinks to high heaven, but the voters the New Tories appeal to won’t care.

That’s because they’d act the same way if they were in a position of power/influence.

gardentiger
    Free Member

That’s because they’d act the same way if they were in a position of power/influence.

So much this.

“Cash in hand here, cut corners there, bish bash bosh, look at all that dosh.”

gardentiger
    Free Member

Apparently its to ‘send a message’ to Putin.

It does. It says “we so want to be like you, but we’re even shit at trying to imitate a tinpot dictator”.

He will barely bother to laugh, he’s won. He won on June 23rd 2016.

kimbers

Sunaktion man

wooksterbo

Why was the Chancellor visiting Catterick in the first place? No issue with it, just wondering.

binners

Because leadership rival Liz had her photo taken in a tank.

So he needs to show he’s all rufty tufty too and that he’ll buy lots of the shooty, bangy things with Union jacks on them, that Tory voters all love

doris5000

I think Liz Truss would make a good primary school teacher. She looks quite nice. I’d be happy for her to show my kids how to make circles and squares out of playdoh

doris5000

WAIT A MINUTE, SHE’S THE FOREIGN SECRETARY!!!

SHITTING HELL!!!!

ernielynch

Why was the Chancellor visiting Catterick in the first place? No issue with it, just wondering.

Because he is a local MP who has a long association with the Gurkhas at Catterick which predate him becoming Chancellor.

As a Hindu Sunka has worshipped at the Gurkha temple there :

MP for Richmond (York) visited the Gurkha Temple at Infantry Training Center Catterick

thepodge
    Free Member

Upvote for Doris5000

kelvin

Just wait ’till Truss is Prime Minister. That’ll be even more of a “is the universe just shitting with us now” moment.

martinhutch

Look, I had a conversation with my missus in about 2015 about the possible cosmic joke of having Trump and Boris running things at the same time. If we get a Truss/Trump combo in 2024, that has to be definitive proof of a higher being with a creative sense of humour.

Northwind

intheborders
    Free Member

Yeah, thing is, I’m not sure how I’d act if I was in a position of power- I like to think I’m a pretty moral, fairminded person but then I’ve never been in a position to steal billions of pounds with no consequences and give it to my mates.

This is just one of the reasons I’m definitely not a good choice for bloody Prime Minister. I don’t want someone who’s probably just like me, I want someone that’s better than me, same as when I get a decorator in, I want them to be better at painting than I am. It just seems like the only bloody thing that makes any sense.

kimbers

I assumed Sunak just wanted a photo op with the shortest regiment possible

captmorgan
    Free Member

ernielynch

I assumed Sunak just wanted a photo op with the shortest regiment possible

Why, is Sunak known to have issues about his height? He seems reasonably tall to me for someone with South Asian heritage.

binners

Are we taking bets on tomorrow’s photo op being Boris in a fighter jet then? Priti Patel with a rocket launcher? The Saj in a helicopter gunship?

chestrockwell

I’m no fan of Sunak and detest the tories but have to back Ernie up with this one, Catterick is in his constituency so it’s no great surprise that he rocks up there for passing our parades etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 5,801 through 5,840 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.