• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,801 through 4,840 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • binners

I think we know what to expect from Mad Nad.

Apparently the BBC should be re-making all the Carry on Films, interspersed with more ‘Downton Abbey’ type stuff

Good help us.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Is she the one (well, one of the ones but the actual MP one) who was outraged that we would no longer be involved in EU decision making after we left?

olddog

Nadine **** Dories. **** me

I’m on holiday so I’ll leave it at that

willard

I really do not mean to, but I have to laugh at the shitshow you are having. From the outside (knowing the actors as it were) it’s amazing seeing the slide of a nation into the level of insanity it is going through.

That is at the same time as crying for what has become of a once sensible nation. If it ever was that.

Sad to say, but I feel more in rune with the average Swede than the average Brit these days, sorry

kerley
    Free Member

Sad to say, but I feel more in rune with the average Swede than the average Brit these days, sorry

No need to apologise. So do I and I don’t live in Sweden. The UK is running a close second to the US for the level of stupidity of the population.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

State controlled TV… we can look forward to new episodes of Border (Repatriation) Force, Jamie Olivers “cooking on a ration book” Hunted (immigrants) and that perennial favourite The Glorious Leaders weekly speech….

scuttler

…and it all appears to be happening quite quickly…

maccruiskeen

Apparently the BBC should be re-making all the Carry on Films,

We’ve already got BBC Parliament. Should we be expecting BBC Parliament+1?

Northwind

I love how easy it is to say “you need to do some britishness”- whether it’s immigrants or the BBC or whatever, easy thing to say. But oh, you want to know what that means? Sorry, can’t help you. It’s not like you can even define englishness, or scottishness, or yorkshireness, or isleofdogsness, never mind all those things together. Just a damn foolish thing to say. But still it can be damn foolish and also damn scary at the same time

maccruiskeen

It’s not like you can even define englishness, or scottishness, or yorkshireness, or isleofdogsness, never mind all those things together.

We’ve got Nectar Points, they’re quite handy.

nickc

Oh for **** sake. Reintroduction of imperial measurements. Great, no one under 50 understands them at all, but all the gammons will be wetting themselves with joy. What’s next? Cubits?

pathetic flag shagging

martinhutch

Great, no one under 50 understands them at all, but all the gammons will be wetting themselves with joy.

As long as they never apply it to mountain bike wheel sizes, we should be fine.

eskay

We have never abolished imperial measurements. Milk has always been sold in pints, as has beer, we have just had to also note the metric equivalent.

More bullshit for the hard of thinking to revel in. I really despair for this country and the people lapping up the shit fed to them by the idiots running the country.

binners

Next week they’ll be reintroducing threpenny bits and shillings

Christ almighty, this country is just an embarrassment

tjagain
    frankconway

LSD; no, not that.
    Pounds, shillings and pence.
    Guineas, half crowns, florin, shillings, tanners, thruppeny bits, ha’pennies.
    Got a load of them from my dad’s moneybox when he died; knew they would come in useful sometime…
    Cubits were Egyptian – we’ll ‘ave none of that foreign muck over ‘ere.
    Bushels, pecks, rods, quarts, gills here we come.
    John Bull printing sets will be compulsory for all under 18s.
    Welcome to the 19th century.
    My local mp, honest bob jenrick, is making a very rare public appearance in his constituency on Saturday; I’m tempted to be there and heckle.

tjagain

some of the stuff they seem to be talking about they have no power to enact in Scotland NI and Wales. thats gonna be fun.

maccruiskeen

We have never abolished imperial measurements. Milk has always been sold in pints, as has beer, we have just had to also note the metric equivalent.

Our road signs are still in miles and yards

Our shoe sizes is measure in Barley-Corns

But does this mean we’ll have to stop measuring bullshit by the Metric **** Ton?

winston
    Free Member

They are not idiots.

They are very smart, yes even Truss and Dorries. Even Raab.

Not smart at doing what they are paid for but like virus, smart at thriving and multiplying.

They are as you say running the country. I dont know what the solution is but saying they are idiots is not it.

frankconway

johnson has missed a trick – ‘bring back the grain’ could be his new slogan; foundation of all imperial weights.
    The unit was based on the weight of a single grain of barley, considered equivalent to 1+1⁄3 grains of wheat.

Winston – they’re not stupid academically but nothing they’re doing is in the long term best interest of the UK so how should we describe them?

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Dont think engineering will be moving back to Whitworth… however i do still use the term “needs a couple of thou of it” alongside “a midges dick” (about half a thou)….

kelvin

I really despair for this country and the people lapping up the shit fed to them by the idiots running the country.

Boris Johnson broke Britain. There are some who think he’s just bruised it, and we’ll change course and begin fixing the damage. They are so wrong. We are only at the beginning of this.

binners

@kelvin – I was going to say the same.

This nationalist populism is all about tomorrow’s daily Mail headlines – as befits a government run by a third rate journalist – but the long term damage of all this will be absolutely enormous

With every mind-blowingly stupid announcement like today’s imperial measures bollocks, this country is diminished

These clowns don’t give a toss because they’ll be long gone to their lucrative consultancies and columns in the telegraph when the true extent of the damage they’ve done really hits home.

You’re right that this is only the beginning

The only future for this country is to hope it can row back to where we were pre-Brexit. But that will probably take decades

espressoal
    Free Member

I think the reintroduction of imperial measures is the least terrifying on the list, a move to allow software and artificial intelligence to be used as a medical device, and to reconsider regulations to allow the spraying of plant protection chemicals from drones strikes me as considerably more dangerous.

binners

Looks like we’ll soon be introduced to the joys of GM food, hormone injected beef, chlorine chicken and all the other things they consider the EU has been restricting them from doing

Taking back control, eh?

kelvin

The government yesterday made it so that all elections in England are FPTP. Just so we’re all clear where this is going. Where they can’t win locally without FPTP (city mayors for example) they simply quietly fix the voting system for themselves. Voter ID and changes to constituency boundaries to follow, to further embed their seat:vote ratio advantage over the other parties at UK elections.

binners

The UK over the last couple of years has now ticked pretty much every box in what’s required to be a Banana Republic

frankconway

Aah, Whitworth – now you’re talking; adjustments must always be made in increments of a gnat’s hair.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

New slogan of the counter revolutionaries: “S.I. or die!”

nickc

Looks like we’ll soon be introduced to the joys of GM food, hormone injected beef, chlorine chicken

No chance, the shelves will remain empty…

willard

State controlled TV… we can look forward to new episodes of Border (Repatriation) Force, Jamie Olivers “cooking on a ration book” Hunted (immigrants) and that perennial favourite The Glorious Leaders weekly speech….

Odd that you mention that, something similar has been tried before: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Tasty_and_Healthy_Food

There is a clear ocean of water between bumbling, flip-flopping Johnson and Stalin though. At least Johnson has not starved 5 million with his agricultural polices (yet)…

duckman

I actually quite like the cabinet reshuffle and boundary changes, support for independence had fallen a wee bit. Only problem is we will be invaded by England as they start a small diversionary war to take people’s minds off the great turnip shortage of 2035.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Moving to imperial measures would help ease labelling disputes in event of the fabled US trade agreement.

willard

Naaaah. Remember they use the wrong sort of gallons and use fluid ounces instead of pints.

Sadly, I think this imperial measurement bollox will solidify their support among people in my mother’s generation. I swear that she has got worse about things like this as she has got older, wanting a return to the 60’s she remembers through the long lens of history.

nickc

Moving to imperial measures would help ease labelling disputes in event of the fabled US trade agreement.

Because the US’ biggest partners in NAFTA Canada and Mexico both use metric, US manufacturers are increasingly moving to metric units (or at least metric labelling) on their products, and of course US “imperial” are all different anyway!

It’s just a dead cat, all the weights and measures systems in the country are all metric, there’s no way to ensure imperial measures are accurate anymore. Plus of course it’s nothing to do with the EU, it’s an agreement to use SI that started in the 19thC.

kimbers

imperial measurements nonsense is just proof that, in absence of policies, they want to talk about, the next 2.5 years will be filled with culture war guff like this all the way until the election

nickc

Check out Sir Roger Gale MP getting his cards marked by Patel and Johnson (at about 0.35 secs in) when he has the temerity to suggest that a lack of transport and immigrant pickers is causing his constituents financial difficulties

Sandwich

At least Johnson has not starved 5 million with his agricultural polices (yet)…

Give him time and at least Churchill had competent types at the ministry of food to run rationing.

tjagain

At least Johnson has not starved 5 million with his agricultural polices (yet)…

no – just a mere 100 000 or so as a direct result of his incompetence over covid

BillMC

Levelling up will just mean a race to the bottom.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,801 through 4,840 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.