• This topic has 17,658 replies, 680 voices, and was last updated 1 month ago by Klunk.
Viewing 40 posts - 4,161 through 4,200 (of 17,659 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • kimbers

I suspect plenty of rumours of Johnson planning to relax restrictions in the run up to the local elections

dannyh
    Free Member

If there’s any fuss whatsoever then the govt can deploy a culture war countermeasure, I’m sure there’s quite a few in the bomb bay, perhaps a Lancaster bomber flypast for some reason or tax exemptions for British Bulldog owners.

It’s so ****ing predictable. It is just depressing. But it gets worse when you realise how many dickheads will fall for this shit. And even worse when you realise that many of them aren’t convinced at all, but are just doubling down in the hope that they’ll eventually get a government that will really pander to their nasty prejudices.

What a nasty little country we have become.

BillMC

Has anyone seen evidence of the startup Arcuri paying back the loans to the taxpayer? The ST reported that the money whizzed out of the company account like greased lightning, whilst she was closely associated with BJ. She is also being pursued for unpaid student loans. Why is this not a story? And what’s a truly pneumatic American doing draped in union flags? I guess they wanted to have a laugh and say a very very big thank you. Anyone would squeeze into a jingo bikini for that sort of money.

kimbers

Her twitter account which seems legit?
    Is a Qanon swamp of nonsense

Meanwhile inspite of all the corruption Johnson doing well in hartlepool 🙄

ElShalimo

Monkey hanging idiots

dannyh
    Free Member

Monkey hanging idiots

Monkey hanging idiots who still think they are ‘part of something’ and ‘sticking it to the elite’.

Let them eat cake.

dannyh
    Free Member

£165/h for his personal trainer

Probably a mate of a mate or some kind of ‘in’ to a potential shag.

No need to actually do the job and it patently has not worked.

ElShalimo

When he had Covid I really wanted him to survive to face an inquiry. Nowadays I’m sorry he didn’t perish as they’ll never have to be accountable for the mess they helped create.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Hartlepool will have a huge impact on the Tory party actions over the next few years… if they win and i think they will (based on people i know living/working there) then **** me it will give the Tories the biggest hard on ever.

Labour can not recover from a loss at Hartlepool. Two party politics is gone for many many generations.

Much of what the Labour party has achieved since WW2 will be wiped away.

All this supported by the very people they exploit and lie to.

oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Strange thing is as an older individual with property,pensions and a business i am likely to benefit from whatever the ****s do? My kids will also probably do ok as they have property and degrees and professional jobs.

The people who will suffer (including my extended family) couldn’t give a shite about me or mine? Yet i get wound up on their behalf.

Strange times.

ernielynch

In the last 24 years we have only had 4 years of Conservative majority rule.

Whilst it is true that the Labour Party has become totally disconnected with its once solid support there is no evidence that British voters will back the Conservative Party, which is currently being led by an attention seeking clown with more luggage than Melania Trump, to remain in power for “many many generations”.

If the Labour Party can’t provide the answers then another party will fill the political vacuum.

There is absolutely no way that one political party, here or in any other western democracy, can possibly satisfy the aspirations of ordinary working people.

It just doesn’t and can’t happen.

MoreCashThanDash

I think the problem is that while many people say they want economic reform – especially if that also offers environmental reform – they don’t vote for it, and I’m not sure why that is.

Are they lying? Are they being lied to? Do they not understand what they are voting for?

nickc

they don’t vote for it, and I’m not sure why that is.

Fear.

While many folk are on the breadline, there’s also many folk for whom the current system works reasonably well, they have a house in largely crime fee neighbourhood, they have a couple of nice cars, they can afford a holiday abroad, and their kids are at Uni. Yes, they may have little to no savings or cushion if it goes tits up, but then neither do any of their friends. their saving are “something something house prices” These people see that they don’t live in a fair society, they understand global warming and they understand that it’s unsustainable but that’s not “their fault” they’ve worked hard, etc etc…They’d love it to be fairer, but can they just stay the same..?

kerley
    Free Member

Well put. Combined with the fact the change won’t directly help them which then brings out the inner tory “why should I have less” to make society fairer, reduce global warming etc,.

fadda

It’s always the way, isn’t it.

It’s very difficult to get people to give things up, once they’ve got them (even if the car is leased, or what they have is something intangible like social standing etc).

And change brings a human reaction of “what’s in it for me”.

It’s surprisingly difficult to have a conversation with people about fairness, if it doesn’t benefit them in some way, or at least not cost them anything. You can see their faces gloss over when they can’t argue that those more vulnerable, or less lucky than them shouldn’t get help, but they’re busy trying to articulate “but why should I pay more tax”, or “its not my fault”.

We’ve got very, very entitled as a culture, and this depresses me…

dannyh
    Free Member

nickc

We’ve got very, very entitled as a culture

I think a fairer way of portraying this is: We’ve taken what was offered to us.

MoreCashThanDash

We’ve got very, very entitled as a culture

I think a fairer way of portraying this is: We’ve taken what was offered to us.

A chicken and egg debate there i think

BillMC

Now the French have conveniently dispatched a boat the Tories will be screaming hysterically about protecting (the Channel Islands) fishing industry. No prizes for red-top headlines.

Richie_B

perhaps a Lancaster bomber flypast for some reason or tax exemptions for British Bulldog owners.

Or we could start a war with the French, although he’s more Henry VIII than Henry V

kelvin

How do we still not know who gave Johnson a bung gift to do up his pad, and how much they bribed donated to him personally?

inkster
    Free Member

We could be seeing a seismic shift in North South politics. Remember it was Lincoln (a republican) who put am end to slavery and the democrats who introduced Jim Crow.

The traditional Labour heartlands of the North have always been a bit racist but that was always sublimated due to class allegiances.

Those allegiances no longer exist. There has always been up to a million voters prepared to vote for a far right party, the Tories being too soft for them and those voters were traditionally beyond the pale for the Conservative party.

Not any longer, Boris has welcomed them into the fold, like when he tweeted out ten times to his Pretorian guard of football hooligans on the day of the London BLM protest to come and protect a statue that Sidique Khan had thoughtfully protected by boarding it up.

They took a dog whistle and turned it into a fog horn. Any growth for Labour, or any other non Nationalist party will have to look to the South for growth, The north will be lost for.a generation (excepting the larger northern Cities which are politically more similar to London)

Any tenuous link to the working class that Labour had is now history, the term ‘Labour Party’ is meaningless. The term ‘New Labour’ recognised this fact, it was clever, if you call yourself ‘New’ you will always be new. Ditching that moniker was political suicide, all they did was define themselves as the old Labour party, the one that nearly died in the early eighties. Through their own volition they defined themselves as the party of the past.

Labour really isn’t working.

kerley
    Free Member

Agree. I would say they were probably lucky to hold on for so long as the traditional Labour voters were not really interested in Labour principles (if they were there is no way they would ever vote Tory) and voted Labour because of history, the done thing, what their family have always voted etc,.

MoreCashThanDash

Any growth for Labour, or any other non Nationalist party will have to look to the South for growth, The north will be lost for.a generation (excepting the larger northern Cities which are politically more similar to London)

A lot of pragmatic sense up there.

Hartlepool now Tory according to the BBC

thepodge
    Free Member

It’s a bit self fulfilling but how long do you keep voting for the losing party before you think about switching colours?

For all but a blip in the last 40+ years the Labour party have achieved very little noticeable difference in the average working class life whereas they’ve seen those who vote Tory prosper.

It’s wrong and I don’t agree with it but I do so some people’s reasoning.

Flaperon

Worth taking a look at Jill Mortimer’s website (https://www.jillmortimer.org.uk/myplan). Her entire manifesto is six lines (including “cutting red tape”, which is ironic given Brexit) yet she managed to get elected with an overwhelming majority.

Perhaps Johnson trying to spark un war petite with France helped.

joepud
    Free Member

For all but a blip in the last 40+ years the Labour party have achieved very little noticeable difference in the average working class life whereas they’ve seen those who vote Tory prosper.

It’s wrong and I don’t agree with it but I do so some people’s reasoning.

I really can’t see the reasoning. I would love someone to explain it to me. I just don’t get how anyone could align with Tory values. Sorry feeling pretty fed up about this result.

nickjb
    Free Member

I really can’t see the reasoning.

People who vote Tory tend to have better jobs, nicer cars, bigger houses. Voting labour hasn’t has levelled up the divide so they vote Tory and see if it helps. Its pretty flawed, but then so is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Lots of people don’t want what they have but don’t want change either. Don’t know what the solution is (but I’m pretty sure its not more Tories).

ElShalimo

If anyone thinks that voting Tory  will bring a magical leveling up they’re delusional

MoreCashThanDash

If anyone thinks that voting Tory will bring a magical leveling up they’re delusional

But voting Labour for 40 years hasn’t helped them. It’s flawed, but I can understand the desperation. See also “Brexit”

FuzzyWuzzy

Remember it was Lincoln (a republican) who put am end to slavery and the democrats who introduced Jim Crow

That’s more to do with the parties basically switching ideologies over time

nickc

Is it just me, or does this have a really strong “together, but not together” vibe?

Carrie Symonds goes to vote with Boris Johnson in a £ 395 "awakened" dress  - Eminetra.co.uk

pondo

I’m way past the point of trying to understand it or be conciliatory, all I can do is to pointlessly rage as we willingly slide open-eyed into third-world tin-pot dictatorship status.

nickc

If anyone thinks that voting Tory  will bring a magical leveling up they’re delusional

Given that the Tories have moved some civil service jobs to Darlington, and there’s a Tory Mayor in Hartlepool that being given wads of cash by central govt. The voters in Hartlepool would probably strongly disagree. The Tory campaign leaflet made it pretty clear when they said that the reason Hartlepool has done so badly recently, is partly down to the fact it keeps voting for Labour…

joepud
    Free Member

I’m way past the point of trying to understand it or be conciliatory, all I can do is to pointlessly rage as we willingly slide open-eyed into third-world tin-pot dictatorship status.

basically how i feel too. I honestly feel at the next GE we will get another tory majority.

Kryton57

Worrying isn’t it, that we will likely see an even more blue England by mid week next week. I don’t get it at all, but I guess that’s more labours fault for not compelling the public to a reason to overrule conservative corruption.

cookeaa

It’s a bit self fulfilling but how long do you keep voting for the losing party before you think about switching colours?

Hmmm, it’s not really like switching your favourite wendyball team because the old one didn’t win enough trophies. Or maybe it is, some people like to be ‘winners’ regardless of the consequences, they at least get to be smug about backing a winner as their country slides into chaos…

The nation as a whole has drifted away from voting for the ideology that best aligns with their own and instead gotten caught up with what’s in it for me-ism.

It’s funny really the Tories created that culture by deepening the divides in wealth and attainment, manufacturing desperation and then won power again with empty slogans like “leveling up” selling themselves as the alternative to… Themselves?

Voters are stupid, have short memories and (if they were being honest with themselves) fear change, while simultaneously claiming to want it.

Don’t know what the solution is (but I’m pretty sure its not more Tories).

I agree, it seems obvious… Yet every alternative the electorate are offered seems to get turned down in favour of ever more blatantly greedy, callous Tories.

I think we have to admit the voting public is like one of those girls that seems to enjoy the drama and attention that comes from picking the abusive, unfaithful “bad boy”…

MoreCashThanDash

I think we have to admit the voting public is like one of those girls that seems to enjoy the drama and attention that comes from picking the abusive, unfaithful “bad boy”…

Harsh but I know exactly what you mean

Viewing 40 posts - 4,161 through 4,200 (of 17,659 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.