Viewing 40 posts - 4,081 through 4,120 (of 4,332 total)
  • Boris Johnson!
  • Premier Icon Pook

Starmer needs to decide whether he wants to be seen by the electorate as a serious politician or as a political comedian. If he chooses comedy I personally think that he will lose to Johnson.

To be honest, it’s the first time I’ve ever really seen him show something of a human side. And having battered Johnson on the floor yesterday it’s good to see a sense of humour about it all.

As Mike Galsworthy says, it feels like he’s got more coming.

And if you want to see how far political comedy can take you, just look at the current resident of number 10. At least Starmer has some credentials.

Premier Icon Poopscoop

^^ I agree with that. I know Starmer is excellent at cross examination (obviously) and it was beautiful to watch Johnson losing his s*** yesterday.

To see Starmer showing a hint of a lighter side was something of a revelation.

Premier Icon kimbers

Johnson was desperate to claim he didn’t hate John Lewis today

I wonder if Starmer is as much trying to get under Johnsons skin

Johnson property lost it at PMQs when starmer (& Blackford) did it yesterday

Johnson is still safe, big majority, vaccine rollout- means he’ll be fine on Thursday & beyond

But the sleaze sticks and he’s rattled too, a lot of parallels with how Trump eventually fell from grace, that took 4 years too

Premier Icon bearnecessities

Johnson is still safe,

My second political post 🙂

Who says he’s safe? I’m bloody livid at watching this blatant (apparent) lying and I’ve never given two shits before about party politics.

And I’ll doubly care if it turns out the PM said “let bodies pile high”.

Premier Icon binners

Which probably explains why Johnson has toned down his act since coming off the back benches.

Eh? in what way has he toned it down? If anything, he’s dialled it up to eleven

He can’t help himself. It’s his default position. With glib, flippant comments like ‘Operation Last Gasp’ he picked the most inappropriate moment imaginable to play it for laughs, when he’s actually talking about the deaths of tens of thousands of people. It takes insensitivity to a grotesque new level. How many press conferences has he done with that stupid inane grin fixed on his fat, smug face?

Toned it down? He can’t even play it straight in the middle of a global pandemic.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

He’s a sociopath, pure and simple

Premier Icon bearnecessities

That’s just Hear’Say.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

a lot of parallels with how Trump eventually fell from grace, that took 4 years too

Trump never fell from grace, he just lost the 2020 presidential election.

Almost half of American voters, 47%, voted for Trump in 2020. His total vote actually increased, to the second highest ever in US history. He still has a huge personal hold over the Republican Party. And he stands a half reasonable chance of winning the 2024 US presidential election.

I would much rather a far more definitive end to Johnson’s political career.

Premier Icon theotherjonv

I wonder if SKS has two bites at this. Preferred option is that Cummings nails him at the hearing – very possible out of spite, with the benefit it embarrasses all those that stood behind him after his Durham trip. And if he doesn’t for whatever reason….then produce your evidence.  Meanwhile wait while the lies stack up and his ministers contort and embarrass themselves further.

Premier Icon reluctantjumper

I wonder if Starmer is as much trying to get under Johnsons skin

Johnson property lost it at PMQs when starmer (& Blackford) did it yesterday

I know Starmer is excellent at cross examination (obviously) and it was beautiful to watch Johnson losing his s*** yesterday.

To see Starmer showing a hint of a lighter side was something of a revelation.

Starmer is just poking Johnson a bit between PMQ sessions, riling him up as much as he can without going overboard so that next Wednesday he only has to ask one to-the-point question and he’ll explode again. Do this for a few weeks and suddenly the news is full of stories of Boris losing control etc and Starmer will be seen as the calm one. Starmer knows he can’t knock Boris down quickly so is using the current furore to land blow after blow after blow, the cumulative effect of those should do enough damage to be much more effective than one well-placed punch that will be quickly forgotten or buried by some other news story.

I have no doubt that Starmers trolling of Johnson with his hilarious browsing of John Lewis wallpapers today will go down extremely well with most people who already deeply hate Boris Johnson.

However I am less convinced of its effect on the undecided. I suspect that he might have simply cancelled all that he had achieved the day before during PMQ.

Many will simply see it as an infantile prank. Which to be fair, is exactly what it was.

If the reaction of my parents is anything to go by (long-time Tory voters, voted for Brexit, Daily Mail readers) Starmer got it bang-on, they both laughed at it and are openly saying Boris is in trouble over all of this. That would have been unheard of least week!

Premier Icon kelvin

Back from the pub. My Tory voting mate said… “how does he sleep at night?!?” Mercer’s comments about all the lying in office cut through with him. Yes, many people voted for Johnson knowing he has lied to get where he is. That he is unable to tell the truth to even his political allies, or about his money, now he is the PM, is casting a different light. I’m now less sure about the “his voters know he was a liar, so none of this will lose him support” view I’ve had up to now. Some expect him to show more integrity now that he is PM, rather than campaigning and manipulating things to become PM. Election campaigns and holding high office elicit different expectations of probity, for some at least.

Premier Icon fingerbang
    Free Member

Johnson’s humour , sorry ‘humour’ is perceived as a strength when it’s actually non existent. It’s a more boorish version of Jeremy Clarkson if that’s possible, unnecessarily florid and arcane language as a substitute for wit

He says things like ‘lets form a square around the Prittster’, I’ve met people who talk like that in my life and you run a mile. can you imagine how annoying it’d be just to be in his company for a minute? He probably used to burn fifty pound notes in front of the homeless for lolz when he was at eton

Starmers stunt today was miles funnier than anything Johnson’s ever done. Good quality **** taking

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

Sky News: Boris Johnson’s flat: PM brushes off refurb questions – as poll says Tories’ lead increases.
    https://news.sky.com/story/nothing-to-see-pm-brushes-off-flat-refurb-questions-as-poll-says-tories-lead-increases-12290082

“Despite a week in which the PM’s activities have been closely scrutinised, a YouGov poll on Westminster voting intention carried out on Tuesday and Wednesday – well into the row over who paid for what – put the Conservatives on 44%, unchanged from a week earlier. Labour was down a point on 33%.”

Premier Icon Speeder

I’m not sure results from a polling company set up and owned by budding/current Conservative MPs and published on Sky News can be trusted but the numbers are staggering if they’re even 1/2 way correct. Who ARE these 44%?

Premier Icon Poopscoop

Hahahahahahahaaaaaa!!😂

Boris Johnson’s personal phone number found to be available online

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-56937889

Premier Icon crazy-legs

Who ARE these 44%?

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2021/apr/29/boris-johnson-thatcher-unions-bbc-north

The Guardian makes a good stab at explaining it.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Mercer’s comments about all the lying in office cut through with him.

Mercer resigning, especially over supporting troops, did hit a sensitive nerve with Tory supporters, from what can gather. It could be those quiet issues in the background that erode his support in the party, rather than the “public” set piece scandals

That Guardian article is interesting, this particularly struck me

pessimism is an understandable state of mind for non-Tories; but it risks becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy, as low turnouts in next week’s English local elections may demonstrate.

The anti Tory majority in this country need something to unite behind for things to change

Premier Icon BillMC

BJ comes across as a jack-the who couldn’t care less about his waistline, height or hair: you can be a bonsai bloater and still pull the birds, get the top job, have loads of money and a free doer upper.  They imagine his classical allusions and bluster are a mark of superior intelligence (they assume it must be clever stuff because, like us, they don’t know what it means). You stereotype the opposition as vegetarian, effete, tinfoil helmeted, pure of thought, world-class victims are there you have the perspective. There’s a gammut of people not doing very well at all but relate to the Johnsonian buffoonery and collaborate in their own undoing. Once the small matters of jobs, incomes and housing strike the fan, you do wonder how long can this last.  Corbyn, immigrants, EC,  trades unionists, republicans, protesters can’t be used forever to explain away Tory failures. The worm will turn.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

The worm will turn.

Maybe one day but at the moment it seems to be well set in the Tory direction

Premier Icon ElShalimo

bearnecessities

That’s just Hear’Say.

😆😆😆

Maybe one day but at the moment it seems to be well set in the Tory direction

See my quote from the Guardian about our pessimism becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

Who ARE these 44%?

The Guardian makes a good stab at explaining it.

It’s a stab, but a poor one imo.

I think the claim that Thatcher’s premiership was threatened by the Liberal-SDP Alliance is particularly misleading. On the contrary, it very much saved her bacon imo – it divided the opposition and let her continue far beyond what might have been the case had there been a strongly United opposition.

The Guardian opinion piece also completely ignores the elephant in the room, ie how the Labour Party, and its capability to govern effectively, is seen. There is really not much point in ceasing support for a political party if you don’t believe that the alternative is any better.

Why did the article not address the issue of something as critical as the alternative to the Tories when it is analysing why the Tories appear to be remaining so popular?

The one point I do agree with in the article though is the possible change in attitudes towards Johnson from the right wing press. I have been taken back by the tone of headlines and articles concerning Johnson’s scandals in the Daily Mail recently.

The Daily Mail hasn’t done Johnson a lot of favours in the way it has been reporting to its readers his recent difficulties. I’m not sure what that’s about but I have no doubt that it is deliberate and calculated. I just don’t know what their bigger picture is.

Premier Icon BillMC

He does display some classic characteristics of malevolent narcissism: need to control, doesn’t get things finished, uninterested in detail, insatiable appetites, no empathy, systemic lies, bullying, verbal trickery to evade responsibility, smearing both Corbyn and Carrie’s curtains. Lots like it though.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

Zuffle

Premier Icon dissonance

I’m not sure what that’s about but I have no doubt that it is deliberate and calculated. I just don’t know what their bigger picture is.

Simple really. They want someone else in charge probably Gove and they will be disappointed when they are more likely to get Sunak instead.
    They have actually dialled it back today since I think they got concerned it might be too damaging just before the elections.

Premier Icon chestrockwell

That’s just Hear’Say.

Very well done.

Premier Icon n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

As regards Daily Mail bashing up Boris recently, is it purely a coincidence that Gove’s wife (Sarah Vine) works there? IIRC, there’s more than a few of these coincidental links between MPs and the UK press network.

Premier Icon welshfarmer

[strong][/strong] wrote:

That’s just Hear’Say.

Deserved more credit….

Chapeau

Premier Icon thegreatape
    Free Member

I’m struggling with the Hear’Say joke?

EDIT – It’s that band isn’t it. As you were.

Premier Icon dakuan
    Free Member

Zuffle

@ElShalimo
    you owe me a new keyboard

Premier Icon Kryton57

So the ultimate authority over the parliamentary standards advisor is….. Boris Johnson!

Ffs, just when think they couldn’t get away with much more.

Premier Icon kelvin

clear browsing history

Applies for those searching for Pure&Simple, as well as the curtains thing.

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

See my quote from the Guardian about our pessimism becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy

It isn’t pessimism, it is the reality of living in the UK.

Premier Icon ElShalimo

@dakuan – glad you got that reference !

Premier Icon mulv1976
    Free Member

@ElShalimo I had to Google it. 😂😂😂

Premier Icon ElShalimo

All Hail the mighty Roger for he did bequeath the Profannisauraus for our delectation

Premier Icon bruneep

Premier Icon BillMC

The Guardian is great for hypocrisy and volte face given what AC they spewed to help get Johnson elected.

Viewing 40 posts - 4,081 through 4,120 (of 4,332 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.