boring tyre recommendation… commuting 700×25.. what?

• This topic has 9 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  lunge.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • boring tyre recommendation… commuting 700×25.. what?
  • alpin

the old Kenda something or others that came with my Fixie Inc have started to delaminate, i.e. the outer rubber is peeling away from the carcass.

they’ve been on the bike for three years and the bike has been outside the whole time through -15 winters to +30 summers.

what durable tyres can you recommend?

saw some Schwable Marathons but for 28€ each in a LBS, but i know i can find them online for 16€.

any other recommendations?

Premier Icon IvanMTB
    Subscriber

25c sucks for commuting. 28c is a minimum. Durano Plus not too bad, especially set up tubeless.

Cheers!

I.

mboy

Schwalbe Duranos

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

Gatorskins.

Current commuter has a pair (28c) that have done over 4k miles, only one flat in all of that from casing a pothole…

alpin

Hmm… I did wonder about 28s and the current Kenda are 26.

GF had a set of Conti somethings on her SS and the rubber has perished around the edge of the tread after a year or two.

Gatorkins are tougher than Durano’s but not as grippy IME.

Andy_Sweet

Gatorskins for commuting. Tough as old boots.

Premier Icon kilo
    Subscriber

Using Michelin lithion 25c for commuting into central London on my fixed gear, good tyres. Vredestien make some good tyres as well, have their fortezza 23c on my geared commuter. 25 & 23c are fine for commuting

andrewh

Hate Conti MTB tyres, seem to have very flimsy sidewalls that kill the tyre long before the tread wears out.

But Gatorskins on the comuter. Much better and very tough. Bit slow, but doesn’t really matter.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Personally, I hate Gatorskins, no grip and not that puncture resistant. Try Vredestein Senso Xtreme, grip well and are a fine commuter tyre.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.