Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • (Boring thread) Tube weights.
  • bennn
    Free Member

Had a few tubes tear at the valve core last ride.

Need to buy some new tubes for my pack/garage/stock, looking on CRC and found;
    Airwave 2.1-2.6 MTB tubes x10 for £26.99 or (no claimed weight)
    Airwave 2.1-2.6 DH tubes x10, same price (330g each)

Not knowing much about weighing tubes etc, but figure shedding weight from the rolling stock might be a good idea, is this heavy for a tube?

Ta, Ben.

lornholio
    Free Member

Airwave non-DH are about 220g and a DH is actually 355g. A worthwhile weight saving, but only if you can get away with it based on the rest of your kit, your weight, preferred pressure, where you ride and how you ride. Trying it is the only way to know.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Are you racing?
    Heavier goes downhill faster.
    Heavier is less likely to puncture.
    The only really light tubes you need are the ones you carry to get you home in the event of a puncture.

Northwind

The airwave ones are a pretty sensible weight- not light, not too terribly heavy. Mind you I bought a couple a while back and one of them was holed from new, didn’t inspire confidence that…

stratobiker – Member

😕

Toasty

😆

bennn
    Free Member

No, not racing. But have a fairly ‘burly’ Blue Pig and myself weigh about 14st+ kit. So was wondering if the weight saving was worth considering.

I’m probably gonna get a pack of 10 DH ones and see how I get on..

alexpalacefan

Why would you need 10 tubes?
    2 in the tyres, and 1 or 2 spares surely enough?

APF

Milkie
    Free Member

I can recommend the Airwave DH tubes for the Alps! I didn’t use any, but the rest of the group, 6 of them did. They didn’t have any punctures/snakebites for the rest of the holiday.

The only really light tubes you need are the ones you carry to get you home in the event of a puncture

This ^ Although I am currently trying out 70gr 26×2.6″ inner tubes

bennn
    Free Member

Crc were out of DH ones so ended up getting the standard MTB ones.

Most of my punctures tend to be snakebites so I tend not to bother repairing, maybe go through 10 tubes in about 12/18months so just stock up, that’s all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘(Boring thread) Tube weights.’ is closed to new replies.