• This topic has 10 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by DanW.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Boring thread of the day: USB Wireless adapters…
  • DanW
    Free Member

Hi all,

I need to find a way to connect a PC without a wireless network card to a Wifi network.

Will this type of thing do the job (ie let me connect to a Wifi network/ hotspot from my phone)?

https://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/computing-accessories/networking/network-routers-and-switches/wireless-adapters/netgear-a6100-usb-wireless-adapter-ac-600-dual-band-10144264-pdt.html

Anything to look out for or avoid with these things?

Many thanks, DanW

somouk
    Free Member

Yeah, that would work, if you’re connecting to your phone go for the cheapest one about as the speed wont really matter.

Cougar

If it’s a desktop PC then I’d be looking for a PCI-E card.  But yeah, can’t see any reason why that wouldn’t work.

A full-fat web browser using a phone hotspot is gonna munch data.

DezB
    Free Member

I just did the same (when my pathetic Sky hub turned up with only 2 wired ports. FFS).. I bought this one

http://amzn.eu/815hieK

Works. (once the software is installed)

cp

Loads on eBay way cheaper than that.

DezB
    Free Member

Loads on eBay way cheaper than that.

…if you don’t mind waiting for delivery from China.

cp

…if you don’t mind waiting for delivery from China.

£2.50 with delivery by Friday… There’s loads of UK based sellers of them. Just check feedback of sellers to ensure they meet delivery suggestions.

PJay
    Free Member

I just did the same (when my pathetic Sky hub turned up with only 2 wired ports. FFS).

I’d be looking at a cheap ethernet switch in this situation.

DezB
    Free Member

£2.50 with delivery by Friday…

Link to that? And I did try going through the feedback, but most sellers of such things sell loads of tat and have 10K+  of feedback.

willard

I have been through a load of different types of these trying to find ones that do promiscuous packet capture under linux. The happy side effect of this is that I had a load left over that work really well for ‘normal’ wireless work. Amazon is your friend and €10 your max budget.

DanW
    Free Member

Thanks all. Good to hear I there are not obvious pitfalls and no reason to pay more

Ta, DanW

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Boring thread of the day: USB Wireless adapters…’ is closed to new replies.