Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)
  • Boring I know but recommend a (quiet) chainstay protector
  • swoosh
    Free Member

So I’ve been using mastic tape as a chainstay protector for a couple of years now and whilst it’s good it’s a pain to put on and remove, and it looks old pretty quickly so needs replacing fairly often. But it does stop chips and keeps noise down well.
    I’m wondering if there is something out there that is maybe a little more robust than mastic tape and quietens the bike? Frame/Heli tape are good as they are robust so don’t need replacing but they won’t really quieten the chain slap noise. And I don’t like the neoprene wrap around protectors.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for something I could use? What do others use?

bruneep

old inner tube

40mpg

Yep, inner tube.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’ve always just used old inner tubes as well.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Heavy duty fluffy velcro tape, cut to shape and stuck on. Lasts yonks.

IHN

Inner tube fourth-ded. Wrapped around like a tennis racquet grip.

bedmaker

Blobs of CT1 or similar have worked well for me. Cheap, easy and effective. Much tidier than scabby wraps imo.

bruneep

Much tidier than scabby wraps imo.

if you say so 😬

Shackleton

Much tidier than scabby wraps imo.

Erm, looks like the world smallest dog has done a series of dumps on the chain stay……..and doesn’t protect underneath.

Old inner tube wrap here too. May not be the prettiest but is cheap and effective and could be considered to be some form of recycling.

I’ve also cut loops from the centre tread of old tyres. Looks a bit gothy but also works well.

PhilO
    Free Member

I’m another inner-tube user, but you might also consider spiral cable wrap: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Spiral-Cable-Wrap-6-60-black/dp/B002M2JV8Q

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Thankfully we’re past the days of a scabby old inner tube zip tied in place, or a baggy lizard skins bit of neoprene velcro’d on.

I would buy one of the new style rubber ribbed ones & use a craft knife to shape it specifically to your chainstay.

The Scott Ransom one works well for that. I have it on top of the standard Yeti one on my SB130 to make it silent 🙂

deanfbm
    Free Member

good shout @HobNob

K

3M 2228 Rubber mastic tape and cut it to the shape you want, stick it on.

swoosh
    Free Member

Hob Nob
    Thankfully we’re past the days of a scabby old inner tube zip tied in place, or a baggy lizard skins bit of neoprene velcro’d on.

I would buy one of the new style rubber ribbed ones & use a craft knife to shape it specifically to your chainstay.

The Scott Ransom one works well for that. I have it on top of the standard Yeti one on my SB130 to make it silent 🙂

I totally agree with this, zip tie-ing an old inner tube isn’t for me, I want something more attractive than that, even if it would do the job ok. Will investigate the ransom protector.

K
    3M 2228 Rubber mastic tape and cut it to the shape you want, stick it on.

That’s the stuff I’ve been using but I find it ages quickly and looks knackered after only a few rides.

BearBack
    Free Member

I had to scramble for something for my Solaris when mounting an archer d1x and ended up using synthetic tennis racket grip overwrap. I was not prepared to go the inner tube route.
    For a better solution on a project bike, I was going to order this…
    Raaw ribbed

But postage to canada is currently shitty so I haven’t.
    Looks more ‘generic’ fit wise than the one on my ransom.

mashr

The Raaw one is available closer to home too: https://www.bike-components.de/en/RAAW-Mountain-Bikes/Chainstay-Protector-p75876/many

Although saying that the postage is also terrible

pickle
    Free Member

Self amalgamating tape, or whatever it’s called. wrap it round and tape up each end nicely with a bit of insulating tape.

Easy to install and easy and clean to remove.

Cheap as chips as well off ebay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Self-Amalgamating-Repair-Tape-10m-Rubber-Waterproof-Sealing-Insulation-19mm-25mm/352427712954?epid=2255475993&hash=item520e5421ba:m:m5nC-2wh-KWRtu6rocZAszw

Northwind

I like mastic tape too

core

Every, single, time.

You don’t have to bodge something or invent a method using DIY store products – you can buy a thing called a CHAINSTAY PROTECTOR – it’s specifically designed to protect your chainstay, usually made from neoprene, so cushions the chain and keeps things quiet, is available in a range of sizes, colours and designs, and is removable (due to the velcro fastening) to clean!

They cost anywhere from a HUGE £5 upwards and are virtually indestructible, I have a couple that are years old, have been on multiple bikes in all weathers and still do their job like they did on day one.

ChrisL

I use either an old inner tube or self amalgamating tape.

nedrapier

1″ gorilla tape, pulled tight so it follows the curves of the chainstay. Snip it to rounded ends with scissors if you fancy. 2 layers if you fancy moar quietness. I might try snipping a 1/8th inch strip of inner tube to run along the top/centre underneath the tape next time I do it. but I don’t know when that will be! Lasts for years.

swoosh
    Free Member

nedrapier
    Subscriber
    1″ gorilla tape, pulled tight so it follows the curves of the chainstay. Snip it to rounded ends with scissors if you fancy. 2 layers if you fancy moar quietness. I might try snipping a 1/8th inch strip of inner tube to run along the top/centre underneath the tape next time I do it. but I don’t know when that will be! Lasts for years.

I quite like that idea. I have a whole load of little rubber strips so I could cut lots of little bits to go under the gorilla tape to give cushioning and to add to the shop bought look. Will hopefully look quite pro actually.

davosaurusrex

These are great, spend a bit of time trimming to shape and secure with a cable tie each end to be double sure. Only thing is I don’t know if they’re still available

cSixx Chainstay Protector review

mashr

Premier Icon
    core
    Subscriber

Every, single, time.

You don’t have to bodge something or invent a method using DIY store products – you can buy a thing called a CHAINSTAY PROTECTOR – it’s specifically designed to protect your chainstay, usually made from neoprene, so cushions the chain and keeps things quiet, is available in a range of sizes, colours and designs, and is removable (due to the velcro fastening) to clean!

They cost anywhere from a HUGE £5 upwards and are virtually indestructible, I have a couple that are years old, have been on multiple bikes in all weathers and still do their job like they did on day one.

And crap at fitting in or around the complex ends of a full-sus chainstay. If I tried one it’d foul the chainring where it’s most needed

Northwind

core
    Subscriber

Every, single, time.

You don’t have to bodge something or invent a method using DIY store products – you can buy a thing called a CHAINSTAY PROTECTOR

Yeah, I have some of those in a box somewhere that I replaced with better solutions

continuity
    Free Member

2228 Tape.

If it comes off you must be applying it to a frame covered in grease. I’ve never known anything with the same tenacity. I snapped the chainstay of my Intense and it was still held together by the single strip of 2228 that was on it.

LAT

This is an elaborate solution:

https://stfubike.com

swoosh
    Free Member

continuity
    2228 Tape.

If it comes off you must be applying it to a frame covered in grease. I’ve never known anything with the same tenacity. I snapped the chainstay of my Intense and it was still held together by the single strip of 2228 that was on it.

It’s not coming off. It’s sticks to the frame fine, I just find the surface attracts all the dust and dirt from the first few rides and never looks good afterwards

BearBack
    Free Member

Plenty of diy STFu’s on the bike park made from fox 40 bumpers.

simondbarnes

Old inner tube

bruneep

Thankfully we’re past the days of a scabby old inner tube zip tied in place

As IHN says

Wrapped around like a tennis racquet grip.

attached with a one zip tie almost impossible to see it.

Creaky

A strip of inner tube along the top of the chainstay with self-amalgamating tape wrapped around. If you use black tape, the holes that develop won’t show.

mashr

As a slight aside – what glue for a glued on protector? Can think of plenty that would work, none that I’d want to use

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Chain Tamer

Brilliant widget thingummy.

BearBack
    Free Member

Druid

Just ordered one of these.

swoosh
    Free Member

That druid one looks good but my worry about these bike specific ones is that they’re not guaranteed to fit other frames. Is the druid one flexible at all? Can it be trimmed? How does it fix?

FB-ATB

When I was clearing my Dad’s garage out, my first “mountain bike” was there. Before it went off to the bike recyclers I took off the shark’s fin protector it had. I’m tempted to start using that.

glue for a glued on protector?

The shark’s fin was held on by small cable ties and an adhesive pad like car numberplates are held on by.

oikeith

I get very annoyed with the chain noise on the back of my bike, forgot I ordered one of the STFU’s until it turned up! looks a good piece of kit.

I am waiting for this Eddie Master’s VHS tape to arrive to try first.

fletch71
    Free Member

Self adhesive Velcro works well.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘Boring I know but recommend a (quiet) chainstay protector’ is closed to new replies.