Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Boring chicken question
  • emma82
    Free Member

Cooked a whole chicken yesterday, stuck leftover in fridge overnight then shoved it in slower cooker this morning with water/veg etc to blend down for soup but just occurred to me that if I reheat the soup tomorrow ill be reheating the chicken again. Is that safe? Will I die? Not usually worried about this stuff because I generally speaking have an iron stomach, ill eat anything in most conditions but chicken makes me nervous! What do you think?

Jamie
    Free Member

Not usually worried about this stuff because I generally speaking have an iron stomach

Sounds like a challenge. Eat it.

bigG
    Free Member

You’ll die, and so will a kitten. I’m not concerned about you suffering from a lack of basic hygiene skills, but I really like kittens so don’t do it.

Best thing is to split it into batches once made and reheat them individually as you need them. Freeze the rest.

jota180
    Free Member

My mrs makes soup every week with chicken stock, I’m not dead yet

zippykona

Mrs Zip says safe as long as chicken is properly hot.

emma82
    Free Member

Yayeeee! Hate wasting food so will spilt it up and freeze the rest 🙂

Don’t taste of much though, chicken makes rubbish soup

matthewjb
    Free Member

Don’t taste of much though, chicken makes rubbish soup

What? Chicken makes great soup.

Wait, you made stock from the carcass first didn’t you?

emma82
    Free Member

Yessssss did all that then shoved a load of veg and whatever else in. Think I shuddve put spices in, reckon that’s what’s missing

matthewjb
    Free Member

Think I shuddve put spices in, reckon that’s what’s missing

Cumin is good in chicken soup. Not spicy just a nice warmth.

emma82
    Free Member

Cumin! Yes. I normally don’t venture beyond carrot & red lentil soup and that has cumin in it. Lovely

emma82
    Free Member

I’ve decided it looks like sick, that’s why not really feeling the love for it

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve decided it looks like sick,

Diced carrot?

Spongebob
    Free Member

My mum boils chicken carcass to make stock, then adds veg to make a soup etc. She then leaves it on her hob for a day or so and reheats before each helping. Personally, I think that’s nuts and have told her she’ll get food poisoning if she doesn’t store in the fridge, but she says it’s fine so long as you heat it through thoroughly. Now who am I to argue, she is 83 and has been doing this for years without being ill once.

bearnecessities

Cumin! Yes.

Oh dear, I’m so puerile..

johnellison
    Free Member

Is that safe? Will I die? Not usually worried about this stuff because I generally speaking have an iron stomach, ill eat anything in most conditions but chicken makes me nervous! What do you think?

As long as it’s cooked through it will be fine. If you re-heat it make sure that it boils for at least 30 seconds to kill any nasties.

If you’re storing it, better to freeze it if you can.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Boring chicken question’ is closed to new replies.