boring 9spd 10spd STI compatability (Shimano)

Home Forum Bike Forum boring 9spd 10spd STI compatability (Shimano)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • boring 9spd 10spd STI compatability (Shimano)
  • Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

10 speed STIs will work with a 9 speed mech (with 10 speed chain/cassette obviously).

antigee

ok think I’ve got it in my head now
    9 speed chainset chain cassette(s 2 sets of wheels) – I guess because a 10speed block fits in same space as a 9 speed the shifter moves the mech slightly less – so as you say mech is ok if a 10speed set up

antigee

boring and road and sure asked before (links welcome)

dropped my cx thing and have cracked the plastic housing where the gear cable leaves the lever and it looks very fragile, old style Ultrega 9speed – only a month since replaced chainset because of a stick rear mech / flat on concrete track incident that bent the cranks so that’s a bit annoying though was cheap

?will a 10speed 105 pull a 9 speed rear mech ok (assuming set stops ok) or do I keep looking for a 9 speed replacement? or just shell out

Premier Icon njee20
    Subscriber

If you have a 9 speed cassette you need 9 speed shifters. On the road a 10 speed STI will work with a 9 speed mech and 10 speed cassette (which is 1mm narrower than 9 speed). On the MTB you cannot mix and match 9/10 speed as pull ratios are different.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘boring 9spd 10spd STI compatability (Shimano)’ is closed to new replies.