Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Border Terriers – tell me (and show me) about them?
  • loddrik
    Free Member

Still on the hunt for the right dog, I’m not too taken with their appearance but I know they’re pretty popular on here. Tell me more?

Have two girls aged two and 6 and three Siamese cats that it’ll need to live with.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

We have a border terrier who is 8 yrs old. Great with kids and an excellent house dog, but she will run off at the slightest opportunit. She has slipped her lead and brought down a sheep in the past.( very funny to watch!!!) so she can’t be let off the lead.

Be carefull about breeders, Borders can suffer from cesc or spykes disease, which can cause them to have fits. Little is know about this and breeders tend to deny it exists, but ours suffers from it.

Footage is on you tube, and some info can be found on t’ interweb

monkeysfeet
    Free Member
    mooman
    Free Member

I got two. Great with around kids. Not as yappy or snappy as most other terriers. Mine will run all day .. or sleep all day .. they have no preference it would seem.
    Only knock against them I would say is the stripping of the coat .. it can be hard work.
    My one dog can be fully stripped in about an hour .. easy coat to pull.
    The other dog has a very dense coat that takes a good few days of finger aching stripping ..

mooman
    Free Member

In reference to monkeysfeet – Member

Bitches are said to wander worse than males. Mine are both male dogs.
    Never had a problem around cows/sheep/horses etc … but rabbits/squirrels/cats!!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Ours is a bitch and will chase anything that moves, but what a personality she has, I think they are a super dog, despite suffering from cecs. We use a long police tracking lead , about 15 foot long, so it gives her some freedom.

tobyho
    Free Member

We have a boy dog. He’s a year and a bit old. Great with the kids, doesn’t bark, not too obsessed with food.

I go running with him a couple of times a week. He’s become my running pal. We only do about 4 miles and at the end he’s nearly had enough. He loves it when we go running. All it takes is for the beep of my gps as I am getting my stuff together and he’s ready..

At first he was ok off the lead; if we came across other dogs he would get pretty excited, in a good way, and always come back but now.. we don’t let him off the lead if there are other dogs about. He’ll go and wont come back. He LOVES other dogs. Apart from this, and it’s quite a big deal, he’s a pretty perfect pet for us.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Border Terriers – tell me (and show me) about them?’ is closed to new replies.