Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Bootzipper as commuter bike
  • ovoderbars
    Free Member

Is anyone using one of these as a Commuter?

I know there primarily used an an off road utility wagon which I would use it for too but wondering it’s capability for a 15 mile commute a few times a week.

It seems to be built like a tank with weight to match. Not sure if I’d be better off with something like a Kaffenback.

Plan to do some light backpacking in the Spring summer too on the Kent Coast so don’t need absolute monster tyres.

Thanks

alan1977
    Free Member

Unlikely to be particualryl quick… so if time is an issue to you on your commute…..

fossy

I’m using a 90’s cromo Diamond Back rigid MTB. It weighs as much as a small elephant in commuting mode. It’s a solid bike – running vintage XT and LX components.

I used to commute on a fixed gear road bike, but since breaking my spine on the commute, I’ve more recently got back to commuting, but it’s all ‘off road’ – so need something that will cope with gravel/canals. Ideal bike would be a gravel bike with panniers, but It would probably only save me 5 minutes over 10 miles.

Tyre choice is important – I’m on Schwalbe Land Cruisers and there is a bit of central un-interupted tread that helps it roll on tarmac, but enough knobbles to grip in mud and gravel. Over winter I’ll switch to Snow Studs, they will be noticeably slower

johnnystorm

Kona Dew Deluxe is £500 on Wiggle at the mo, worth a look for your suggested use.

Bregante

My bootzipper arrived last weekend and I’ve commuted on it three times so far this week, although I didn’t primarily but it for that reason (it will mainly get used as my MTB for local rides)

I do already have a far more suitable commuter (nice lightweight gravel bike) but over my 9 mile commute along gravel paths and a canal towpath with about a mile of road at each end, it’s working out around 4-5 minutes slower each way and that’s with the standard WTB Ranger tyres on it. I’ll probably replace them for something faster rolling in the spring.

Bregante

Das Bootzipper

djflexure

I have one that I use exclusively for commuting. Decent build but still heavy as. I have two commutes – one very short 5k each way where I need to leave the bike in a rack. I use the Bootzipper for that. My other commute is about 40k all in but I can leave the bike in my office – can be all canal or a mixture of road and canal. I never take the Bootzipper. Today I was on a Freeranger, sometimes I use my road bike.

didnthurt

I used a rigid mountain bike as a commuter before and found it rather joyless and ponderous.

Much better off with something much lighter like a cross bike.

I ended up buying a Genesis Day-one that was a brilliant commuter. Not ideal for all as it only had one gear. I’d be looking at something like that but with a simple 1 X gear setup.

didnthurt

If your commuter bike had to have flat bars then I’d be looking at purpose built commuter c/w rack and mudguards.

https://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ribble-hybrid-al-acera/

You can get a Topstone for similar money. I’d change the calipers to Avid BB5 or BB7 though.

https://www.evanscycles.com/brand/cannondale/topstone-4-2022-gravel-bike-916923#colcode=91692303

sirromj

I’d say that that whether it is good or bad will depend mainly on the route and the type of rider you are.

When I lived in an urban setting and cycled out of town to work I had loads of route options to keep me interested in riding an MTB (went from hardtail to rigid after trashing forks due to lack of maintenance). My idea of fun was charging around off road and down stairsets and small drops. Meant I was often tired out and had to have days where I made an effort to take it easy. I made a few Strava segments and got KOMS etc (thanks wind). There were numerous route variations.

Since moving to a village there’s fewer options and busy roads can’t be avoided without adding more mileage than I usually have time for. The hardtail soon became a soul crushing chore, especially on long straight drags in traffic on dark evenings. I ended up being given a cheap Carrera hybrid, faster rolling tyres pumped up, flat bars, rack, saddlebag, frame bag, to carry everything I need. Much better and leaves me with energy for riding I do enjoy. I’ve only got 3 route variations I regularly take now. Would probably get a gravel style dropbar commuter bike if I could afford it and it was easier to go faster on.

ovoderbars
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. Think I’ll be ditching the idea of the bootzipper for now and get something more nippy for road riding.

zippykona

I’ve just built this up.
    Carrera frame new off eBay £40 posted. I had all the 26 bits I needed .
    Running 1.3 cross tyres and my rack turns up today with the pack arriving next week.
    I’m going shopping !

matt_outandabout

That Kona is a bargain as a commuter.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/kona-dew-plus-se-urban-bike-2022

sirromj

This is the Carrera that was given to me. It looks quite big but that guy I got it from made it look tiny. I changed stem and handlebars, and added rack, water proof frame bag (a bit spendy in comparison but worth it + also moved to the more sensible position), waterproof drybag, and a saddle bag. Lights will be going on soon. Full mud guards going on this weekend.
    IMG-20220525-172541

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.