Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Boot Studs For Walking
  • singlespeedstu

Has anyone ever used screw in studs in walking boots?
    Been thinking of giving these a try now it’s getting a bit more icy out there.

Boot Studs

Are they a nightmare to fit?

sofaboy73
    Free Member

Not really an answer to your question, but would you not be better with a set of microspikes? Takes seconds to put them on / take them off when you need to, can use them on different boots and i can’t see those screws being good for you soles?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

What he said^

singlespeedstu

I’m thinking more icy footpaths than mountains.
    Don’t mind that they’re in there permanently as only really wear the boots I want to put them in in winter.
    Those microspikes seem a bit OTT for walking(offroad) to the pub.

BadlyWiredDog

I’ve used similar ones a few years back. Really easy to fit – they just screw in – and don’t seem to cause any significant damage to the sole. Great on days when you’re on snow and ice all day, not so much if it’s mixed up when things get a little noisy. Those look more like the sort of thing you get on running shoes – Icebugs etc – so probably not slippy on rock, but a little noisy. They also slip earlier than a microcrampon on steep gradients ime.

As above, some sort of micro-crampon works well on more mixed terrain and is probably more versatile. Said the man who’d just got back from a snowy / icy walk when microcrampons would actually have been useful on iced-up, steep back lanes.

singlespeedstu

so probably not slippy on rock

They’re marketed to fishermen so would imagine the grip on rock is pretty good.

donald
    Free Member

What sir is describing is tackety boots, possibly with added segs for creating sparks and impressing girls. Or that’s the way I remember it from primary school.

Good on snow and mud but slippery on hard surfaces.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Microspikes – great for “proper” walking (been wearing mine today wandering around the Peak). Perfect on refrozen-slush covered roads, that are basically sheet ice.

Yaktrax – better for nipping down the shops, or to the pub, as you don’t need to take them off to go in the shop. They don’t last too long if you use them on rocks though!

matt_outandabout

Our microspikes are ace – 90% as good as my old walking crampons. They lack front points and need different techniques, but within capabilities are superb on the hill.

What they are also good at is being easily removed or put on.

They do look ‘full on outdoor’

I’m not sure I would want to stand in the pub in my nailed boots – the floor or carpet will get eaten up…

YakTrax might might be a suitable halfway house.

kimura54321

Alternative to YakTrax are Grivel Spiders, found they worked well for both trail running shoes and walking boots.

Liked that it left the forefoot and heel grip for harder/mixed surfaces.

Came with a handy pouch for popping into the pub or shop as they fit really easily.

Spider

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Boot Studs For Walking’ is closed to new replies.