Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Boost/XD freehub Turbo?
  • johnw1984
    Free Member

So I’m not hijacking someone else’s thread, I thought I’d start my own.

Is there such thing as a wheel-off turbo that would take a GX Cassette and is 12×148 compatible?

My thinking is that me and the missus could both use our XC hardtails on the turbo instead of getting a Wattbike Atom.

hatter

Any current Elite one, they do an XDR freehub body for them and and a Boost adaptor to take it up to 148 X 12.

Could get 2 x Suitos or Direto X’s for the price of a Wattbike, his ‘n’ hers.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Think we’d need a bigger house for his and hers trainers! 🙂

I’ll have a look at the Elite ones. I’ve noticed the Wahoo Kickr is also compatible with boost and you can get an XD freehub.

steve_b77
    Free Member

I’ve got an Elite Zumo, had it a couple of weeks and it’s really stable and pretty quiet, in fact it’s getting quieter from new. I’ve done over 200k on it and I’m really impressed. They come with 142×12 and QR adapters, but as above you can get 148×12 adapters.

Personally (unless you’re Eagle) I’d just stick a Shimano style cassette on there, save on a new freehub, get a cheaper cassette and it’ll work fine.

As a bonus they’re on offer at Halfords at the moment, down from £570 to £450, add in BC discount and you’ve got a new trainer for £405

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

As long as the trainer takes bolt through axles then you just need a 6mm spacer off eBay.

I would stick a 11s road cassette on there, if its for zwift then just leave the slope set to 50% as is by default. This effectively doubles the range of your cassette anyway. Because the speed in the game is derived from the power output of your trainer, not the speed of the flywheel (set it to 100% and the two should match untill your trainer runs out of resistance), the slope factor just stops you running out of gears or having to make the trainer work at its maximum resistance at low speeds.

Gotama
    Free Member

You could also just get an NX hub and stick it on the standard shimano freehub that comes on the Kickr.

I can thoroughly recommend the Kickr core.

johnw1984
    Free Member

Pretty much all of our bikes are already 12 speed Eagle, so it just makes sense to be able to swap bikes on the turbo with minimal faff.

Yeah, I didn’t think of the NX cassette for the turbo, good shout that! Guess I’ll just hope for a nice Christmas bonus this year and get spending!

Out of all of them that I’ve looked at, the Kickr Core seems to be good for the money.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Boost/XD freehub Turbo?’ is closed to new replies.