Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • New Boost frame – what do I need?
  • djflexure

Just bought my first boost frame
    Current bikes are 135 and 142 and run 10 sp so
    I believe that I will need new rear wheel and cranks – correct? Already running boost forks.
    What is the sweet spot at present for performance/value for money? 11sp groupset? Shimano/ SRAM?

oldnpastit

Wasn’t there a thread on here recently about adapters for 142mm wheels to go into boost frames?

fd3chris
    Free Member

Many have got away with non boost cranks, maybe just moving spacers around. For the wheel I’ve been using spacers on the axle and disc for a long time with no issues.

Poopscoop

You might be totally fine with current cranks, or get a Boost chain ring if needed.

timoth27

I’ve just done the same but my Dartmoor primal+ uses standard 173 cranks, I got a hope adapter kit for my hope pro2evo hub.

djflexure

Will check out Hope adapter kits thanks
    Guess I’ll check existing cranks too once frame arrives

Poopscoop

What cranks mate? Direct mount?

martymac

I have a surly karate monkey, 148 boost rear, boost front.
    I use a standard slx crankset, but with only the small and middle rings.
    The large (42) ring fouls the d/s chainstay if fitted.
    It’s also spaced over by one spacer (2.5mm?)
    Works just fine.

djflexure

Cranks are Shimano m8000 – so not direct drive
    I have a 32 T absolute black chainring fitted
    Will measure chainline
    Internet seems to have lots of examples of folk using this crank with 148 rear

joebristol

On the wheel if you have Hope hubs you should be able to get an adapter. If you don’t you might find you could get something from MRP or Wolftooth dependant on hub.

I love my gx 11 speed setup – on the fa I use a 30t chainring – on the ht I use a 32t.

I suspect your crank might not take smaller than a 32t so going Shimano/ Sunrace would give you a lower gear on the cassette in 11 speed (sram biggest cog on 11 speed is 42).

I’d just try your cranks and see if they clear – it doesn’t seem to be an exact science. I’ve got a boost rear on my Vitus, with direct mount cranks with boost chainring (32t) and it’s got the tiniest clearance between chainring and chainstay. I’d be more comfortable if it was just a little bit further away.

chiefgrooveguru

All you need is a rear hub adapter, unless you’re rather unlucky with crank and/or chainring and chainstay clearance.

djflexure

You were all correct – non boost cranks fitted with loads of clearance using the oval absolute black chainring; and really good chainline.
    Could not get a rear adapter as it was a Novotec hub so rebuilt the wheel on a fresh Hope hub.
    Went 12 speed SRAM in the Merlin sale and it seems pretty nice.
    Just waiting for Hope to service my brakes/ replace a cracked 10 year old calliper and I’ll be back out again.

nickfrog
    Free Member

A bit late now but rear boost adapters are universal. £8 ebay jobbies work fine.

djflexure

Live and learn. Old hub was shimano so not a complete waste as I’ve gone over to SRAM.

taxi25
    Free Member

A bit late now but rear boost adapters are universal. £8 ebay jobbies work fine.

I used some, for awhile but they are a bit of a bodge. It worked ok but as the frames a keeper I eventually succumbed and got a boost hub and built up a wheel. I reckon most people do sooner or later.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘New Boost frame – what do I need?’ is closed to new replies.