Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Boost Dynamo Hub Options – Alpkit vs SP
  • officerfriendly
    Free Member

Hey all. I’m getting a Dynamo hub for my Pine Mountain (boost qr/15mm) and I’m confused on which one to get. The Alpkit one looks good, is reasonably priced (£110), but my worry is I can’t seem to find any information on it, nor any experiences with it. I emailed Alpkit to ask if it was the same as the SP and heard this back:

I think our hubs do share some similarities but they aren’t the same design. Many dynamo hubs are similar and use the same factories, but the designs will vary slightly between manufacturers.

The SP one is £150, which is a bit steep for me. Spa Cycles have the non-boost version for £120 but can’t do the same price for the boost one

Anyone had any experiences with the Alpkit one or got any suggestions?

Love Mud Juice Boost

Cheers

balfa
    Free Member

I have a non-boost QR Alpkit Juice hub. When I got it the specs and dimensions were identical to the SP equivalent hub. I assume they are near to identical. I got it for a big cycle tour across Europe and it has been used since on my commuter since so its probably done ~8000Km without any issues or bearing changes. My only concern is when the bearings do need changed, that it is not easily user serviceable. How helpful Alpkit will be with this down the line, I’m not sure. Saying that I’d buy another one. Caveat though that mine has not been used properly offroad.

What are you planning on using it for? I’m not sure I’d bother with one for offroad as the speeds are lower and its produces less power. For a few days bike packing a battery pack is a bit more flexible and way cheaper. I’ve even started using my cheapo light batteries to charge things. I think I’d only consider a dynamo offroad if I were doing some longer remote bikepacking.

scotroutes

I’m surprised you can even get a Boost QR dynamo hub. That’s a niche within a niche.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I have a non-boost QR Alpkit Juice hub. When I got it the specs and dimensions were identical to the SP equivalent hub. I assume they are near to identical. I got it for a big cycle tour across Europe and it has been used since on my commuter since so its probably done ~8000Km without any issues or bearing changes. My only concern is when the bearings do need changed, that it is not easily user serviceable. How helpful Alpkit will be with this down the line, I’m not sure. Saying that I’d buy another one. Caveat though that mine has not been used properly offroad.

I did see that originally the Alpkit ones looked extremely similar to the SP ones, but the weight is 14g more for the Alpkit one, though the flange measurements look very similar. So I’m not too sure what this one is, but they said it’s  not the same design? I’m glad to hear it’s been very reliable though. I’ve heard there were problems with the bearings in the boost version of the SP Hub which they rectified in an updated model. Something that worries me that there’s no information on it regarding things like efficiency, and when I asked them for that some information I didn’t get a response.

And exactly long distance bike packing. I already have the SP and a Revo on another bike, which I absolutely love, just want to get one for my new bike!

dovebiker

Alpkit = SP = Revo, regardless of what their response says

officerfriendly
    Free Member

What makes you say that? They specifically said it wasn’t the same design.

damascus
    Free Member

I saw this a few months ago. It’s going back to what we had as kids.

http://bearbonesbikepacking.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/velogical-dynamo-first-look.html?m=1

It’s 75g. Can be installed quickly and easily on any bike. Can be removed quickly if you want to ride your bike on a Sunday run.

Serviceable, robust and red.

I don’t know anyone who has one  but it would be what I’d go for.

Edit: just Googled the price. Hmmmmm

dovebiker

What makes you say that? They specifically said it wasn’t the same design.

OK, who else makes dynamo hubs, apart from SON and Shimano?

johnnystorm

Countless Chinese and Indian firms if a casual web search tells you anything.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Boost Dynamo Hub Options – Alpkit vs SP’ is closed to new replies.