Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Boost conversion
  • charliew

Hello,

I am thinking of getting a new frame that I can move most of my components over to, however the new frame I want is boost.

I have found a boost converter for my hub, but I am struggling to find something to convert my Shimano XT m8000 cranks to boost spacing. I’ve read a few posts about being able to use a boost chainring to achieve this, but I can’t seem to find any that fit Shimano. Am I missing them or do they not exist? I am guessing in which case I’d need new cranks?

Thanks

Charlie

SirHC

Depending on the size of your chainring and the clearance to the chainstay, you may be lucky with runnning a non-boost chainset. If you are running boost adapters, its better to have a non-boost chainring to maintain the same chainline.

singlespeedstu

As above.
    If the chainring clear the chainstay just run the crank you have.
    No such thing as a boost chainring for a M8000 crank I’m afraid.
    I have one bike thats boost with a standard crank and one that I’ve had to fit a boost crank to as the chainring hit the chainstay.
    What frame is it?
    Someone might know if it’ll clear or not.

chakaping
    Free Member

You’ll probably be fine.

I moved the same generation SLX chainset from a non-boost to boost frame with no problems at all.

Only a 30t chainring though.

honourablegeorge

Boost cranks move your chainring 3mm further for the frame – but this isn’t necessarily a good thing – if your existing cranks and ring will fit without the chainring hitting the chainstay, then they’ll be absolutely fine – not sure shimano even bother with different cranks for boost nowadays

nixie

Sir HC’s comment about a non boost chainset being better with adapters only applies if you use the type that adds spacers to both sides of the hub. If you use the type where all the spacing is on the disc side then the cassette is in the ‘correct’ position (I.e. same as it would be relative to the drive side chain stay as if you used a boost hub).

charliew

Cheers for the replies, and glad to read there isn’t such a thing for Shimano (I wasn’t going mad!).

Just read a bit more on the frame and it looks like it’ll run none boost anyway. Should have spent more time looking at that before wasting my time on something I didn’t need to bother with.

Many thanks for the responses though!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Boost conversion’ is closed to new replies.