Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Boost adapter with centerlock
  • BearBack
    Free Member

So, the boostinator will give an end cap solution, but no solution for my centerlock brake mount. XMC1200 wheelset
    I’ve looked assuming someone would have managed a modified splined mount to push the rotor out that extra 3mm, but no joy.
    What about brake adapter solutions?
    My next boost frame will be 160mm post mount but I’ll use an adapter for 180mm. Shimanos adapter uses long bolts, but other spacing adapters have used 2 sets of bolts. Any reason you couldn’t fabricate a +20mm adapter with a -6mm (?) offset between sets of bolt holes?

BearBack
    Free Member

Good news… MRP look to be solving it for the front. Just need a rear version now

LAT

I think the MRP adaptor is for 6 bolt hubs. I’ve just looked at their website and I can’t see a centre lock version. The only CL compatible adapters I’ve been able to find are the “end cap and re-dish” type.

greyspoke
    Free Member

Its not clear how that NOW8 thing works from the pics.

teethgrinder

I think the narrow end of the cone faces into the spokes, the wide end out, with the 6 holes for a 6-bolt rotor. Locks into place with the lock ring.

sillyoldman

What teethgringer says.

honourablegeorge

It seems to have spacers for both sides so you keep a 142 chainline

BearBack
    Free Member

Isn’t it just a longer version of a cl adapter?
    Great thread revival and I’m still sitting on that wheelset so I might grab one.
    MRP’s front brake adapter is available by phone.

greyspoke
    Free Member

If it works that way round it would more likely have six protruding dowels then, like on the non-boost adapters. No space for bolts the bolt heads wold foul the lockring.

Also, I just realised that uses a cassette lockring tool. You may struggle to find a tool that fits over your end caps (discussed on a thread here a while back). The DT Swiss converter uses an HT II bb tool for the lockring, which is sensibler.

teethgrinder

Just a longer one of these, shirley?

BearBack
    Free Member

yep, dowels id think.
    The screws in the shimano ones.. don’t they screw through from the back…i.e create the same effect as a dowel rather than the bolt heads holding the rotor to the adapter. as greyspoke says, you cant have lock ring and bolts. And as presumably pauls components found out, you cant do away with the lock ring either as this, combined with a 6mm ISO spacer would have solved the problem already

6mm longer splined CL adapter and 6mm longer threads on lock ring has to be the solution, probably not cost effective to produce in small batches though.

{edit] just wrapped my head aroudn the bolts retaining the rotor and the silver plate spacing the lock ring above the bolts.
    6of1 1/2doz the other i guess

greyspoke
    Free Member

Yes that’s how the Shimano one works I think. Need special bolts though, so not how the NOW8 one would work as no bolts supplied with it. I have a dowel type DT adapter (I only use the lockring, not the adapter) and I have to say it does not inspire me with confidence, there is rotational play in the disc when you fit it and I reckon it would wear the dowels. The Shimano approach looks less shonky and I would trust them not to come out with a solution unless they thought it was bulletproof. Clearly they don’t think the dowel solution is, otherwise they would go that lighter ?cheaper route.

cookeaa
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Boost adapter with centerlock’ is closed to new replies.