Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)
  • Books to read to 5 year old
  • deserter
    Free Member

I’ve got a 5 nearly 6 year old girl and want to read her stories at bed time, we have lots of short books but I want the kind of book I can read a few pages a night and she can look forward to the next time

So what are your favourites and I will pick a few up

Thanks in advance

RopeyReignRider
    Free Member

Our six year old is just getting into Roald dahl – pretty much anything of his would be a good place to start perhaps?

GrahamA
    Free Member

Have you looked at Terry Pratchett’s books for children?

Truckers, Diggers and Wings is aimed at younger children and if like Diskworld there’s the Tiffany Aching series

deserter
    Free Member

Good shout both
    Just found a 16 book collection of Roald Dahl books so will start there and move onto Terry Pratchett

loum
    Free Member

On a bit of a theme…

Chris Hoy , Flying Fergus series
    BMX Princess
    Knights and bikes

Drac

Samuel L. Jackson narrates a good one.

gobuchul
    Free Member

MrPottatoHead

13-Storey Treehouse series is a hit with my son.

boombang
    Free Member

Mine is younger but loves Enid Blyton, especially the Faraway Tree books.

It has given him some unusual expressions and vocabulary though.

Terry Pratchett is up next.

globalti
    Free Member

Mog books. Flat Stanley.

tomd
    Free Member

Samuel L. Jackson narrates a good one.

An absolute bedtime classic in our house. One of my mates got given the book off their gran who picked up a stack of kids books in a charity shop!

Mod: Yeah it’s a bit sweary for the forum and ruins the joke.

fenlander
    Free Member

Three tales of my father’s dragon.

The Wombles.

senorj

Our faves include all the Dahl ones, especially the twits & George’s marvellous medicine. 🙂
    A bit shorter but My 7 yo still absolutely loves the tomten and the fox(every Christmas), and hedgehog in the fog.
    The loads of storey treehouse books are popular at the moment .

tekp2
    Free Member

My 5yo son is enjoying the “worst witch” books at the moment. We read one or two chapters a night together.

Previously he liked some Roald Dahl, a couple of the David Williams ones, and the “goth girl” ones.

senorj

Just remembered,
    The boy, the mole, the fox and the horse. By Charlie mackesy …..
    Is ace !

grtdkad

Roald Dahl definitely but for the slam-dunk of cool try Roald Dahl’s Revolting Rhymes.

northernsoul

Some of our favourites (i.e. read more than once): Littlenose, The Worst Witch, Captain Underpants, Tom Gates, plus some of the Roald Dahl (e.g. Matilda), but not all at that age – some were a bit scary.

johnnystorm

The Mr Gum series:

Books

The Rabbit and Bear stories:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/bookseries/B06WRSX2RS/ref=dp_st_1444934260

stompy

Dahl of course, can be a bit dark in places but surely the greatest children’s author ever!?

C.S Lewis and the Narnia chronicles….. The language can be a little dated and tricky but the writing is superb and I enjoy it as much as the monster.

Any of the Enid Blighton stuff is ok, easy going but a bit slow…..

nixie

By 5 our eldest was into being read Dahl. Sadly we lost my mother when she was 5 1/2. In the memory box prepared for her were famous five, wishing tree and Narnia. Those help her reading take off and she hasn’t looked back since (now onto lotr aged 7).

hot_fiat

Any of Tom Fletcher’s stuff, like the Christmasaurus is properly enthralling for a 5yr old. David Williams is also pretty good. Dhal can be cool – The Giraffe, the Pele and Me is a good place to start.

nothardknott
    Free Member

Faraway Tree – Enid Blyton. You’ll have to improvise around the occasional ‘50’s colloquialism but they love it. And it has that
    Page-turner quality so will give a couple of weeks total rapture

deserter
    Free Member

Thanks for the input guys, that will keep me busy for a while look forward to ‘what books for a 7 year old’ next time😉

SaxonRider

hols2
    Free Member

null

null

null

null

null

vazaha

Don’t neglect Poetry…

null

vazaha

And

null

vazaha

Required reading.

hols2
    Free Member

Also should be required reading

null

submarined
    Free Member

The Owl Who was afraid of the Dark by Jill Tomlinson. She’s also done a load more like ‘The Penguin who wanted to find out’ and a fair few more, but that’s definitely the best (although my son likes them all)

Yours Sincerely, Giraffe by Megumi Iwasa is brilliant.

The various Mudpuddle Farm books by Michael Morpurgo are also very popular at bedtime.

johndoh
    Free Member

Our girls liked the David Walliams books. At that age one of my girls had me read The Children’s Encyclopaedia of the World Wars every single night. She has an embedded knowledge about them now and has even corrected teachers in class 😂😂😂

loum
    Free Member

At four, ours had me reading national geographic dinosaurs.
    Had a longest word competition in school and went for micropachycephalosaurus.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

Hamster Huey and the Gooey Kablooie

CountZero

Alan Garner’s books, Elidor, The Owl Service, The Wierdstone of Brisingamen and The Moon Of Gomrath are classics, The Owl Service would be too dark for a child of her age, it’s dark for an adult reader!
    Catherine Webb wrote a bunch of YA books, her Horatio Lyle books might be of interest, they’re a sort of steampunk Sherlock Holmes/mad inventor, the main character is a former Special Constable with a passion for science and invention who does some sleuthing, with help of a group of children. The first one of four is The Extraordinary and Unusual Adventures of Horatio Lyle.
    Her other YA books, Mirror Dreams and Mirror Wakes, and Waywalkers and Timekeepers are more for older readers, the first of those, Mirror Dreams, she wrote aged 14, but it reads like a Roger Zelazney novel.

finishthat
    Free Member

Machinery’s Handbook , should last a few years and be useful almost forever.

edhornby

David Walliams is coining it in with the 5-10yo market at the moment, fair play they are good books, the Worlds worst set is good because they are story collections. The rebel girls book is popular because you can read one a night.

ctk
    Free Member

I’ m not a fan of Walluams just read Roald Dahl who he nicks all his ideas from.

Not long books but if you haven’t read them the Katie Morag books are brill. My boys loved them at that age.

geomickb
    Free Member

I just want to say thanks to whoever mentioned the Treehouse books.

4 year old daughter is loving them (almost as much as me). We have “treehouse time” most days.

🙂

outofbreath
    Free Member

David Walliams, kids of that age love them.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Books to read to 5 year old’ is closed to new replies.