Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Book recommendations
  • shermer75
    Free Member

Any good ones out there?

CountZero

Loads, but a clue as to likes/dislikes with regard to genre would help: I read mostly SF, which you might hate, so any recommendation from me would be doomed from the start. 😉

shermer75
    Free Member

Hmmm. The last one I read was ‘Gone Girl’ (Gillian Flynn) and before that I reread about three Terry Pratchett Discworld novels in a row (I really like the early ones). I guess I like an easy, page-turner kind of a read but nothing too retarded, if that makes sense. Haven’t read and sci-fi in a long time but if it’s good, I’ll give it a go!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    northernmatt

Anything by Iain (M) Banks.

I’m currently reading Wiggo’s autobiography which is pretty good so far (only about 40 pages in)

gordimhor

‘The Secret Lemonade Drinker’ by Guy Bellamy it’s old but very funny

gordimhor

‘The Secret Lemonade Drinker’ by Guy Bellamy it’s old but very funny

bencooper
    Free Member

If you like Pratchett, Nation is very good and a bit overlooked because it’s not Discworld.

shermer75
    Free Member

You mean Terry Nation, the Doctor Who writer? Or another one?

bencooper
    Free Member

I mean the book called “Nation” by Terry Pratchett 😉

CountZero

The Culture series, by Iain M Banks is a cracking good read, although Player Of Games has such an unsympathetic main character I just can’t read it anymore.
    If you can get your head around the idea of there being magic within an urban environment, and the most mundane of objects being imbued with power, then Kate Griffin’s Urban Magic series, or the Matthew Swift series as its also called, is a very good read, proper page turners. Kate knows London intimately, has explored it all her life, and uses the hidden grimy corners very effectively.

http://lightningtreelive.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/review-a-madness-of-angels-kate-griffin/

There are six books, but only the first four feature Swift as a main character; he ‘disappears’ in the last two, but remains in the background, while still influencing events. The ‘Magicals Anonymous’ crowd are highly entertaining.
    The emotional character development that the blog mentions actually takes place through the course of the four books, and there’s a lot of humour, plenty of it dark, too.
    I’m impatiently waiting to see what Kate’s next project is, she’s twenty five, and had fourteen books published so far, and she’s being cagey about what it is. (Gnashes teeth)
    And no, she’s not a friend, although I’ve met her a couple of times at book signings. I just love her books, is all.
    Oh, and anything by Neil Gaiman, like American Gods, Neverwhere, Stardust, Smoke and Mirrors, The Graveyard Book, and The Ocean At The End Of The Lane.
    All superb books.
    Stardust you may have seen as a film, with Robert De Niro and Michelle Pfeiffer, and American Gods is in development as an HBO series as well.

johnny_met
    Free Member

If you could support my novel that’d be great Praesagium

shermer75
    Free Member

I’ve already got American Gods- I’ll dig it out!! Thanks for the recommendations 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Iain Pears – an Instance at the Fingerpost.
    Tom Rob Smith – Child 44
    Helen Grant – the vanishing of Katarina Linden.
    David Millar’s book is an interesting read.
    Bad Blood – Jeremy Whittle (although it is old old old now).
    Tyler Hamilton’s – The secret race.

wittonweavers
    Free Member

This has to be a good starting point for you…

Earlier post

john_drummer
    Free Member

Tim Lebbon – Fallen, The Heretic Land, Echo City – just read the former 2, currently reading the latter

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Book recommendations’ is closed to new replies.