• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by devs.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • bonty mud x
  • Ringo
    Free Member

Are these tyres any good as an all year back tyre? I want to go tubeless but cant be arsed to keep changing tyres. I have used them all winter last year in the mud of cannock but just wondered what they were like in drier times?

postierich
    Free Member

I,m using them for all year riding around Cannuckshire and they get my vote.

nuke

I found it a good tyre for the front all year round but a bit draggy on the back for the drier months and wore down fairly quickly. Something like a ACX would be better on the back for the drier months.

cinnamon_girl

Wouldn't want to take them off and then put them back on again. Talk about a challenge!

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Fantastic UK 4 season tyres use them on both by mtbs, I'd only change them if I was racing in the dry.

Swayndo
    Free Member

Despite the name, these are not an all-out mud tyre IMHO. Work well in many conditions, but not very durable. Mine got trashed on rock on the back of the local hill. Still more durable than ACX tho!

Sure there's better tyres out there. Only my opinions/experiences.

devs
    Free Member

Mine got trashed on rock on the back of the local hill.

LOL! Most of the people on this forum would travel 3 hours or more to ride something like your local hill. 😀

Swayndo
    Free Member

I'm only talking of a scree filled Landy Track on the back of Fyrish Devs.

Fancy a Rothie tour this Sunday? Start Lochinch Watersports and head via Feshiebridge, Lochs Gamha and an Eilean, Badaguish XC course, Glenmore Cafe, Hayfield, Traverse Rothiemurchus Lodge, Lairig Ghru and return for a beer. My buddy Bri72's return from a broken arm ride.

What about Nutter, uh? Can drop off huts in Les Gets and clear 30 foot doubles in Whistler, but cannae ride a firetrack without braking his arm. Rotten luck when he's been top of the SDA Masters from the first race.

robarnold
    Free Member

If you live somewhere at all muddy, then they're a belting tyre. A lot of people over here in the soggy IOM use them all year round and they stick like sh1t to a blanket. I rode on them last night in some disgustingly muddy conditions and they were brill. If you use them on hardpack or tarmac, they will wear down a wee bit but at a relatively cheap £24.99 per end you can afford to run them all the time

Solo
    Free Member

I'm another one who runs the MUD X all year round. Both ends.

Good tyre.

Solo.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

only problem with them seems to be that everybody is using them

KINGTUT
    Free Member

only problem with them seems to be that everybody is using them

Why is that a problem?

iamtheresurrection

All year here too…

orange
    Free Member

tubeless ready acx would be better as an all year tyre, it clears mud pretty well tbh

julianwilson
    Free Member

if they suit your local mud (aren't mud tyres fussy?!) then you can leave them on all year. My mates and I have raced on them in dusty dry conditions too and they are still great fun then. They do wear relatively quickly in my experience, and they seem to be more prone to punctures than many other knobblies, but i suppose if you have them tubless with sealant that won't be an issue. Thed 1.8's are proper skinny though, I would definitely go for 2.0's. If i wasn't such a tyre twiddler then I would leave them on my xc bike all year round too.

[edit] oh and they are inexplicably bastid hard to get on some rims. 717's are fine but putting some on my wife's dt rims was a real excercise in "Darling, I thought you said getting a tyre on with your thumbs was a piece of cake?" shame.

BoardinBob

What are they like on wet roots?

julianwilson
    Free Member

BoardinBob – Member

😆

Depends on the rider and the line you choose ten times more than his/her tyre choice and pressure.

FWIW though, I find them oh so slightly less slidy than 'normal' knobblies. Particularly less so than the trailrakers I had before. That is either due to the soft compound, the little grooves in the top of the knobbles or just that their advertising conditions me to think they are better.

BoardinBob

Hmmm.

First time with Fire XC Pros on wet, slimy roots the other night and it was suicidal. Tried messing about with pressures, hitting the roots at differing speeds and angles but it was no fun.

Might look at 42a Swamp Things

Kit
    Free Member

Ace.

avdave2

Bob I've ride on wet green chalk with Fire xc pros and mud x's and they are a hell of a lot better so I would imagine you'd see just as big an improvement on wet roots.

skinnysteel
    Free Member

Didn't take them off the bike at all last year. Foolishly swapped them for Nevegals in May, so you can blame me for the poor summer.

robob
    Free Member

yup, run them year round on the SS (which was set up for crummy weather… this summer qualifies) and they are ace even in the drier bits of this year.

they have worn quickly though, and as previous post i ran 2.0s, 1.8s do come up quite narrow and i wouldn't run them as all conditions/all terrain tyres.

acx's 2.2s are a really good compromise, shed mud well and are a better all rounder. they work better on rocky stuff, roll better on tarmac and wear less ime.

once i've worn out my current collection i think i'll get a set of acx's tubeless and leave them on the fs and mud x on the ss.

devs
    Free Member

Swayndo it sounds great but no can do. Apart from the hangover I have booked I have family commitments.
    I'm really gutted for Nutter. I think he posts here as Betsie sometimes. A real shame. I dunno if it is possible for him to win without taking part in the last round but I suppose that would mean wishing ill on other riders which isn't the right way to do things. He'll be back next year. He's too dedicated and daft not to.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘bonty mud x’ is closed to new replies.