Bontrager twentyfour12 – whos going?

Home Forum Bike Forum Bontrager twentyfour12 – whos going?

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)
  • Bontrager twentyfour12 – whos going?
  • jonny360

Great day, lucky with the weather too. I thought most riders were very polite and courteous when it came to overtaking especially compared to Bristol BF. The odd ‘Rider’ shout still from behind which just confuses people!! Managed 10 laps in the 12 vets which I was we’ll pleased with. Sore and very tired today. Great event. Will be back next year.

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

My first time at the Bonty and got to say how nice and chilled it all is, much nicer experience than another 24hr event i’ve done (10 times now). Will definitely be back.

Only experienced 1 or 2 people passing without calling, everyone else was very supportive even in the depths of night (another sumo here). Hopefully i gave back as much support and heckling on the jump of doom.

excellent course too. Really enjoyable to ride and some fun descents. Bit warm on that first climb in the sumo suit though!

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

bitemebryn – Member
    Hats off the soloists. I don’t think I could bare that kind of torture!

Indeed. After only 5 laps I’m feeling rather beaten up. Although my little Enigma did me proud.

Does the guy who was behind me when I went down the roots (after the first water splash) on my front wheel only and shouted “I did that yesterday” post here? He said “well held ” also, yet in fact in my mind I was upside down in a bush at that point. Can’t beleive I stayed on.

Great weekend, loved the Sumo’s, whizzing down the final grass slope at full speed, and the Sun πŸ™‚

monkeychild

Ouch to your arm dude! Hope you mend up well. I didn’t really witness any cock endery. I did feel bad as I was having a bad time and a lass lets pass and I never said ta. What made it worse was she said you’re welcome. Felt a douche after that.

LoCo

Gareth and Jonnie from the Loco racing team finished 4th and 5th in 24hr solo. πŸ˜€

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

My mate was riding behind you when you burst your arm, he said it was amazing and the blood spurted miles, he stopped but that other chap jumped in to help, he rode off to find a marshall

xcstu

Ah we were riding well in mens pairs 12 but my right hand man had such a heavy crash resulting in him rupturing a tendon in his shoulder ;-/

Spent most of late sat eve in A&E to be told they couldn’t do much for him as needs surgery!!

Must say really enjoyed the event this year and the course was so nice and fast!!! excellent work once again..

ciderinsport

You guys are ace!

All this sumo love πŸ˜‰

Thanks – we will be back next year, and we might have to give Mr fruit a special sweaty sumo hug πŸ™‚

Heal well broken riders…

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

Ah, it wasn’t just me that Mr Fruit barged past where there just wasn’t room then.

Does anyone know what happened to the rider that had a big off on the wooden bridge at the bottom of the grassy hill run down toward the arena/finish, about 3am? It sounded pretty bad from where we were camped.

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

Is that why they closed it? It was getting sketchy down there in the early hours because of the very heavy dew.

Hope you all enjoyed our Zombies πŸ™‚

xc-steve

I did wonder about that bridge when it started to drizzle. Thanks to everyone who moved aside for me during the race I always feel so rude asking for people to get out the way. What amazed me was following riders, who would push past others on amazingly narrow spots which would make me winch in a national XC race let alone a 24/12 hour race, only for me to overtake both on the next firetrail… just bizarre the laps 35min long take it easy!

Great course my hands are properly beaten up today (4th 12hour solo).

I got knocked off my bike in the singletrack after the Clif Climb.

It was one of the early laps and there was still quite a a bit of traffic. Guy just infront of me who I was giving some space. Shout from behind to pass on the right – I couldn’t give the line – tricky to keep the rigid ss rolling over the roots. Rider behind clipped my bars and I ended up sitting on top of him and his bike. Nice soft landing – no really damage and he very kindly picked me up. Genuine mistake – singlespeeders have wide bars! – but not great racing.

Asides from that – fab event – great spot for camping on the hill overlooking the arena – amazing course – great shout outs on the course made the singlespeeding worth it.

localhero94

Sorry to read that, geez. Hope you heal okay…

Ouch to your arm dude! Hope you mend up well

Cheers. Can’t say I’m pain-free yet but have some great bruises to show the kids. Looks like we’ll have to put off that ride for a bit Teasal.

pictonroad – Member

My mate was riding behind you when you burst your arm, he said it was amazing and the blood spurted miles, he stopped but that other chap jumped in to help, he rode off to find a marshall
    Thank your mate for me please – getting the marshalls so quick really helped.
    Yes, the blood spurtage was pretty scary, I’ve never seen that before and when it’s out of your own arm it looks pretty impressive :-0 Shouldn’t be any lasting damage to the arm, I was referred to the plastic surgeon as the doctor I saw at A&E said it was too much for him to do. When the plastics guy was routing around assessing the damage it was like the scene from Starwars where Luke is getting his robot arm checked – he kept asking me to try and move fingers/wrist while he looked inside to see what moved 😯

Premier Icon Nobby
    Subscriber

it was like the scene from Starwars where Luke is getting his robot arm checked – he kept asking me to try and move fingers/wrist while he looked inside to see what moved

Am I allowed to say “cool”?

stumpy01

Feeling quite motivated after the weekends’ riding. I really enjoyed it, but would have enjoyed it much more if I was a bit fitter. Need to pull finger out and fit riding in around all the other stuff that keeps getting in the way.

I managed the SUMO Jump Of Doom 4 times out of 5. The first time I remembered too late and so carried on past. We got some good Sumo photo’s so will post them up once I get them off the camera.

Overtaking wise, I only had a couple of incidents. It was all pretty well mannered to be honest and best not to dwell on the couple of bad overtakes, when there were plenty of very considerate passes.

The track pump powered air horn was properly good!

Looking forward to next yr! Hope they don’t move it!

ndthornton

Does the guy who was behind me when I went down the roots (after the first water splash) on my front wheel only and shouted “I did that yesterday” post here? He said “well held ” also

I shouted “well held” to some crazy person doing a Houdini on those roots!! That was great if it was you Kryton57!

I didn’t say “I did that yesterday” though but I vaguely remember hearing it – could have come from someone else. Or it could have been a completely different incident – I imagine it happened quite regularly there!

pete68

Most riders were really good and polite I thought. Good to see Locos team at the miners arms last night relaxing with a beer or two. Best event on the calendar for me

LoCo

Good to see Locos team at the miners arms last night relaxing with a beer or two.

Glad to see they were refueling properly πŸ˜‰ Wonny J is apparantly having some trouble putting his shoes on this morning (not beer related)

julianwilson

Another top kwality Martyn Salt/Inevent Event, great atmosphere, great catering, great stalls/sponsors and above all a sensible (ie not too rad, they say you lose your skillz after the forst 16 hours) and 100% rideable course.

I dodn’t see too much in the way of bad manners and aggro but the first 12 hours are always the worst for attitude and riders-per-km in my experience. Nearest I saw was when I was fiddling with gears outside my tent right by the tape on the splitty bit in the solo camping, obviously too close to the tape as someone taking a wide line in a hurry just roared at me (yes like a lion) as he missed my head with his handlebar. HIe was on the slowest line too (left way was a few secs faster), sorry if I cost you a couple more seconds! πŸ˜†

richiethesilverfish – Member

Hope you all enjoyed our Zombies

Richie the zombies were great, and in amongst some ‘enteraining’ roots for those of us that started at midnight and rode them both wet and in the dark πŸ˜† Bowie/Aladdin Sane zombie was my favourite. Who does your zombie drawings? They are well good.

I don’t think I was ‘well held’ rider, but I did see someone on same roots lose their bike from under them and end up clinging on to the tree.

It was my birthday on the stroke of midnight when I started, and I did 12 laps -I feel about 40 years older today than I really am!

Finally mrs J came first in torchbearer and has Β£60 worth f prizes ad a medal to show for it. Huzzah!

Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

ndthorton / julian wilson – you’d know if it was miss ’cause I bashed my forearm on the tree and got a bit mentally wobbly so let you pass shortly after and before the zombies.

That was definataly a get out of jail free moment.

After being completely miserable at SITS for a couple of years this has completely restored my faith in these events. The trail was excellent, the organisation good and the atmosphere far better than the others.

monkeychild

The last female zombie had it going on πŸ˜‰

vdubber67

monkeychild – Member

The last female zombie had it going on

Oh yes.

Can I buy her please? πŸ™‚

jono1982

Great course.. never got a chance to look at those zombies, that section was big ring (the only ring) flat out, eyes down for the roots!
    Podium for us in the 12.. happy days!
    Jono – Pivot-Boompods-Racing
    https://www.facebook.com/PivotBoompodsRacing

Premier Icon pictonroad
    Subscriber

There was a single root on the right side of the track about 20m after the roots of death that put the fear in me, I was exchanging places with a nice chap and I touched it with my front wheel. The bike immediately had a crash by itself leaving me in the air, I grabbed something to stabilise myself and landed back on the bike. Someone shouted “good save” or similar, I had no say in it tbh, I stayed WELL away from it from then on.

I spent half the lap planning how I would avoid it..

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

Another great 24/12, course was great as usual, weather held out for once and lots and lots of support from riders on course and campers, managed the sumo jump 12 times out of 13, couldn’t bring myself to do it on the last lap!

healing vibes to all the injured, and LoCo, give your guys a massive pat on the back from me, I was following and chatting with one of them (not sure if Jonnie or Gareth) for the last half of the last lap, I was absolutely buggered after 13 laps and only just managing to keep up with him so massive respect!

monkeychild

Looking forward to seeing some pics πŸ™‚

c_klein87

I saw quite a few take a tumble on the roots by the river, luckily I seemed to survive ok, had a fun race with Mondraker Steve for 3rd place, I was happy a few of the potential climbs had been taken out, the course seemed to fit together nicely, and the teepee camping seemed to help the lap seem shorter. fun weekend, hope my legs recovery quickly!

Premier Icon IdleJon
    Subscriber

Agree with all said about the event – excellent as usual. Thanks to all who organise it. Somebody mentioned the poor food tent – I thought it was very mixed. Great cakes, rubbish coffee that took ages to make. A great chilli just when I needed it but rubbish breakfast…did I mention the cakes? But it was food and warm. Mainly.

Nice to meet some of Team Sumo and Wonnyj. (Both fantastic results.)

I’m not sure who the group were camped next to us – near Team Sumo – but they amused us immensely yesterday with the bike jousting. My wife will hopefully post a vid at some point.

vdubber67 – Member

monkeychild – Member

The last female zombie had it going on

Oh yes.

I’m pleased that it wasn’t just me who saw a good looking zombie AND David Bowie.

My 6 year old told me yesterday that she didn’t want to come home. Sums up how much we all enjoyed.

xcwanabe

I saw quite a few take a tumble on the roots by the river

I was one of those, in 11 laps I only went down twice, once there and once when I was whimping across the bridge and caught the bars and it was the bridge one that landed me in the Minor Injury unit.

Next year I’ll go for wet feet.

stumpy01

IdleJon – Member
    Somebody mentioned the poor food tent – I thought it was very mixed. Great cakes, rubbish coffee that took ages to make.

After the excellent-ness of Quaver Catering, I thought the catering tent was absolutely awful. When we arrived on the Friday afternoon, it just seemed like they were cooking a load of random stuff and calling it a ‘combo bap’.
    We normally go to the nearby Sainsburys to stock up on snacks, but buy jacket spuds, pasta etc from the caterers, but this year we didn’t wanna take the risk of rubbish food so bought loads of stuff that we could prepare on a gas burner.

xcwanabe – Member

….once when I was whimping across the bridge and caught the bars…..

My bars would only (comfortably) fit on the bridge over the river back into the camping field. It was a bit close for comfort on the other two so I walked the bike over those.
    I rode through the concrete river crossing on my last lap, but hate cold, wet feet so gave it a miss for the rest of the event.
    If it had been scorching weather I probably would have gone through them all, but not with the cloud cover that we had.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

Brilliant event, ace course as ever – love the Cottage Return section and the riverside rootiness – big thanks to the guys from AQR and One Cog Racing who were pitted next door to me and took pity in my time of rice pudding need in the morning, when nothing else would quite do and to the various ace people I chatted to on various laps.

Not much thanks to the bizarre muppet who seemed to think shouting ‘on your right’ meant that I should ride off the course into a large hole so he could pass me and followed up my very polite questioning of this by inviting me to ‘come and see me later’. I almost fell off my bike laughing, are you still at primary school? I would have come round for a chat but (a) I don’t know who you are and (b) I was too busy soloing. You need to calm down a bit, luv…

andypaul99

[quoteAfter the excellent-ness of Quaver Catering, I thought the catering tent was absolutely awful. When we arrived on the Friday afternoon, it just seemed like they were cooking a load of random stuff and calling it a ‘combo bap’.[/quote]

I find it unacceptable that they dont give you food included in the entry fee, i pay €8 to for a XC race and get a full meal at the finish and a beer, UK race organisers should pay a visit to some euro events to see what VFM really is.

Premier Icon legspin
    Subscriber

Awesome event, loved it even though I really struggled from lap 3. I think it was just one of those days.

Sorry to the guy who borrowed my kettle (I think you had a STW t shirt on), Hope your wife didn’t like our camper to much after my wife gave her a guided tour.

Premier Icon 40mpg
    Subscriber

I find it unacceptable that they dont give you food included in the entry fee, i pay €8 to for a XC race and get a full meal at the finish and a beer, UK race organisers should pay a visit to some euro events to see what VFM really is

To be fair the Bonty is a bit more than just an xc race – its a whole weekends worth of camping, loos, showers etc and I’m sure the insurance, St Johns ambulance and everybody else need paying too. In fact all that including the racing is only about teh cost of one night in a campsite so I reckon its bloody good value πŸ˜€

thomthumb

really enjoyed myself – even if i diod go home early after breaking my fork on the practice lap (so maybe it never worked) – then riding rigid. 6 laps on a carbon fork had turned my hands to talons!

I’ve raced 5 24:12 5 times in the last 6 years and this was definitely my favourite of all the courses.

nearly everyone who passed me was polite and patient – a few people just need to announce themselves better. and fruit4london was polite and helpful (good clear instructions) when passing me.

Biggest issue i saw on the first few laps was people who had clearly not ridden a practice lap – almost rode over a guy on cottage return as each corner came as a complete surprise to him and he ended up rolling around on the floor – whilst another 3 of us almost crashed into him / each other.

jay_tht

Great event real good vibe. The course was a good mix to me, liked the fact you popped back into the campsite to give you a boost to keep going.. Which I needed on my first 24hr solo which was hard work but great fun.. Ache a bit now but very happy to get 22 laps in.

Well done all who put on the event well be back next year..

Sumo riders where good fun and made me laugh. πŸ˜€

Premier Icon amedias
    Subscriber

I find it unacceptable that they dont give you food included in the entry fee, i pay €8 to for a XC race and get a full meal at the finish and a beer, UK race organisers should pay a visit to some euro events to see what VFM really is.

a genuine WTF!?

~Β£60 for 4 nights camping (facilities provided) is pretty good value, it becomes amazing when you factor in a free 24 hour MTB race on the side.

you could barely feed people at Β£8 a head let alone run a race with all the necessary timing, insurance, first aid, marshals, course marking, venue support, electric, loos, showers, water, catering, freebies, number boards, and all the other stuff that goes with it.

If you genuinely think you can do it and feed us for Β£8 a head then I formally invite you to come and organise some races in the UK, surely you’d make a huge profit so gotta be worth it?

As I’ve already said it was a great race, I’ve only missed a single 24/12 since it’s been at Newnham and it never loses the magic that makes it so much more fun than most other 24hr events

stylish

I enjoyed it for so many reasons, the lap was ace, maybe the weather helped, but at any time in the 24 hours people were happy, I tried my best to give warning when going past, and gave a cheery “keep it going ” as I went by. had a chat with a chap in RAF kit on Saturday evening as we headed towards the straw bale gap, and we both agreed the atmosphere was ace.

Cant say I had any trouble with arrogant riders, if someone wanted to come past I gave all the room I could.

Nearly had a big off on the roots by the river in the early hours, bike and body were miles apart at one point but somehow I stayed on! but the highlight for me has to be that, With 4 good friends, I got to stand on the podium (grass) after finishing 3rd in 24 hour Open Teams, happy to admit my co riders were faster than me, and I held them back a bit, but we raced as a team and turned out the best result ive ever known in any xc race ive done, although knackered, im still grinning like a fool……….

xc-steve

xcwanabe – Member
    I saw quite a few take a tumble on the roots by the river
    I was one of those, in 11 laps I only went down twice, once there and once when I was whimping across the bridge and caught the bars and it was the bridge one that landed me in the Minor Injury unit.

I wasn’t even riding behind you this time to cause you to crash πŸ˜€

I looked forward to both river crossings gave my legs a nice cool down and cleaned my chain you lot just need to mtfu (I rode the bridges on the first lap and have an annoying cut on my hand to show why I rode the rivers from there on!).

Any idea who the photographers were or is it going to be a case of like at all mtb races loads of photographers but none of them advertise where to view/buy/steal the photos.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 148 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager twentyfour12 – whos going?’ is closed to new replies.