Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bontrager XR4 2.35 front, XR2 2.2 rear, any better combos?
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Evening guys,

Got the above already fitted to my new wheels and they performed pretty good on todays ride. Currently on inner tubes, but once the sealant arrives i’ll be going tubeless.

Would it be worth getting a 2.2 for the front, and matching both tyres to xr4 or xr2? Once the sealants in i’ll be hoping to run them all year so want to get a good combo.

The 2.35’s are huge (my previous Continental Vertical Pro’s are 2.3 but are more like a 2.0 when inflated)

Cheers!

matt_outandabout

Hoofing big front tyre! I have 2.2 and it’s big enough – like 650b without changing rims…

chiefgrooveguru

You’ve got your front tyre on backwards – it’ll roll better and brake better if you turn it round!

cruzcampo
    Free Member

cheers chief, will switch it around when I seal!

Should the bontragers be decent when it comes to burping with the ZTR Arch? After innertube like security at high speeds 😆

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@Matt it did feel subtly taller. Read a load of reviews tonight and both the XR4 and XR2 get well received, so still not sure about buying a XR2 for the front. I guess one benefit would be the weight saving up front.

guitarhero
    Free Member

How about closing the gap slightly with a XR3 on the front. Bit lighter, and rolls a bit faster.
    I’ve got a brand new one going cheap 😉

moridinbg
    Free Member

Not much clearance in this Pikes?
    I have both a pair of 2.1 XR2 and 2.35 XR4s. In general I don’t trust the XR2, especially in the wet. I have tried with one 2 in the back and one 4 in the front and found the back too unreliable, compared to the front. Now I am running the XR4s both front and back.

chiefgrooveguru

cruz, do you want a 2.2 XR4 to either stick on the back for more grip or the front for more speed? I have a barely used one looking for a home!

BadlyWiredDog

Just to confuse you, the front tyre you have in your image is the older XR4, the newer one runs truer to size.

chiefgrooveguru

Just to confuse you, the front tyre you have in your image is the older XR4, the newer one runs truer to size.

You mean the old XR4s actually are the width they claim to be whilst the new ones measure up smaller than they should (like most tyres on the market!)

cruzcampo
    Free Member

@Chief which version of the XR4 is it and how much?

@Guitar not read too many great things about the xr3 🙁

@moridinbg even tighter with the mud guard in place too 😆

BadlyWiredDog

You mean the old XR4s actually are the width they claim to be whilst the new ones measure up smaller than they should (like most tyres on the market!)

Yep. The newer ones are smaller and more on a par with other tyres of the same nominal size. The old ones are enormous…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager XR4 2.35 front, XR2 2.2 rear, any better combos?’ is closed to new replies.