Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Bontrager Wheel Bearing service, can you DIY?
  • uphilla
    Free Member

Have a Rhythm Elite front wheel, 15mm axle – bearings have a little play and sound a bit gritty – manual says take it to the bike shop. Any tips on diy bearing change? Thanks

theroadwarrior
    Free Member

You’ll need a bearing press to insure you do it properly. You can risk it by banging them in with a mallet and drift. I did that and they didn’t last long, but perhaps I’m just ham fisted.

The other trouble with these OEM style wheels is you can never be sure what you’ll find inside. The bonty wheels have been based on various hubs over the years. When I had them I tried for ages to find a tech manual; every one I found online described an obviously different hub design so wasn’t much use!

coatesy
    Free Member

Quite likely to be a DT Onyx, if so then you’ll need a hook/C-spanner (Should have come with the bike) to remove one end cap (rubber O-ring inside stops it loosening), the axle should then tap out. Be careful not to overtighten the end cap when rebuilding, it operates on the same principle as HT2 BBs.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Bontrager Wheel Bearing service, can you DIY?’ is closed to new replies.