Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Bone Conducting headphones
  • gixernick

Has any one tried these, in general or a particular make/model?

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Have some aftershockz sportz ones and they’re great, it’s like having a background soundtrack to your life! Use them without probs on road and mtb bike – can hear other users easily

prawny

I hd some cheap(er – still £40) Bluetooth ones from Amazon they were great until the broke after 6 months or so. Would like another set, if I had the cash I’d get aftershokz titanium jobbies

theboyneeds
    Free Member

Don’t work on my head / face. The bloke selling them couldn’t believe I couldn’t hear a thing. But I really couldn’t hear much in any position.

Probably something to do with my adamantium exo-skeleton.

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

I’ve tried the first generation Aftershokz, to me the sound quality was not worth it. I just got for one ear bud in instead.

roverpig

Bought some Aftershokz Blue 2Z for my wife (who is a runner) and have used them myself for watching stuff on the ipad (don’t listen to music when riding). Seem pretty good to me.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Had aftershox great for what they were which is background while doing other stuff, found it hard to concentrate on what was being played so crap for podcasts etc.

seadog101

Bone conducting headset for a fire fighting suit at work, used with UHF radio. Very wierd feeling when fully kitted up in a BA set, but somebody sounds like they are inside the helmet with me….

riddoch

I’ve got lucky and got a set of the ex-display aftershox titaniums.
    Sound quality is alright but not brilliant but that’s not really the reason for getting them. Occasionally the Bluetooth connection to my phone gets a bit patchy depending how the phone is orientated relative to the headset. The band can occasionally interfere with collar or back of helmet so the sounder parts get moved from their ideal position.
    Overall very happy with them.

DickBarton

Surely the whole point of headphones is sound quality? If it isn’t, why are we not all using those freebie headphones you get on tour buses for city guides?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Surely the whole point of headphones is sound quality? If it isn’t, why are we not all using those freebie headphones you get on tour buses for city guides?

Depends….
    If your listening to something to listen to it then yes quality is important.
    If you want noise or background or spoken word then quality an come second to other features

gray

I’d quite like some for riding with, as unobtrusive as possible, simply to have a little voice telling me to turn left etc. I currently use a single bluetooth earbud thingy that doesn’t seal at all (which is good – I don’t want to block out noise) but stays in place because it has a hook over my ear. Only trouble is that the connection is a bit flakey, presumably because it was only about a fiver. I like the look of the Coros Linx smart helmet, but it’s a bit overkill (and I already have a helmet that I like).

traildog
    Free Member

Why not a little bluetooth speaker strapped near your helmet or backpack?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Why not a little bluetooth speaker strapped near your helmet or backpack?

Because your music is not for sharing.

DT78
    Free Member

I use aftershocks for the turbo so I don’t have to have the sound on the telly up really loud and bother the family, I use it along with foam ear plugs. Feels odd to start with but actually works really well. I found the road / wind noise outside meant they were pretty useless for everyday riding

traildog
    Free Member

Because your music is not for sharing.

Inverse square law. It’s unlikely people will hear that much as you hurtle past on your bike and it will be quieter than a car.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

It’s unlikely people will hear that much as you hurtle past on your bike and it will be quieter than a car.

Experience says otherwise

traildog
    Free Member

Experience says otherwise

Not to labour the point too much, but the loudest bluetooth speakers struggle to reach 80dbs and are usually below 70dbs. Which would be very loud when close to your head. Sure if you are a young kid and want crank it up to show off/annoy people you would, but otherwise it would be much lower volume.

Average traffic noise is around 70-80dbs. So it’s very unlikely that you will be louder than a car. Equally as annoyingly loud at most.

christhetall
    Free Member

So has anyone found some that are suitable for listening to podcasts on ?

I currently use one of these link which does a reasonable job

DT78
    Free Member

Aftershocks with earplugs work great for Ted talks. Not great for outdoors though…

RobHilton
    Free Member

Surely the whole point of headphones is sound quality?

Defnly not for those who buy ‘Beats’

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Bone Conducting headphones’ is closed to new replies.