Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Bone Caves Inchnadamph
  • DavidB
    Free Member

Wife and I are going up to Sutherland this weekend and staying near Inchnadamph. Was thinking of doing this walk HERE which looks interesting, anything else we should consider nearby. Can’t really take full mountaineering gear (or bikes) so looking for lower level stuff.

towzer
    2tyred

Bone caves walk is good, if short. How long a walk you looking for? You don’t really need any climbing gear up there.

Just on from the bone caves are Conival and Ben More Assynt, the highest peaks in the region. A longer day out, and there is a narrow ridge connecting the two tops which is not for those afraid of heights!

Just past Inchnadamph towards Lochinver is Quinag, with an excellent path on it and a car park next to the road. No gear beyond boots and a jacket required.

Just beyond Lochinver is Inverkirkaig Falls, a really nice walk to a beautiful spot. Ace cafe at the bookshop too.

For a longer day out, Suilven (the most iconic mountain in Scotland IMO) is an easy climb, albeit with a long and pretty featureless walk in, but that’s part of the beauty of Assynt, how barren and desolate so much of it is.

Achmelvich beach – just outside Lochinver – is gorgeous, with plenty of walking nearby.

Going the other way from Inchnadamph towards Ullapool you can reach Stac Pollaidh, which gives great views of Suilven and the Summer Isles, and is an easy walk up.

If you go north from Inchnadamph to Kylesku, there’s good walking round there too, as well as some pretty special food at the hotel.

I love Assynt, can’t wait to go back.

peterfile
    Free Member

Agree with all of 2tyred’s suggestions.

In particular, if you’ve no gear but want a wee play around on rock, blast up Stac Pollaidh and spend half a day scrambling on the pinnacles. A MUCH shorter walk in/ascent than Suilven and immensely fun once you’re up there. Lots of variation possible, but there’s some pretty exposed stuff available at Grade 3/Mod, or plenty of Grade 1 if it’s a bit wet.

ChrisL

I did that walk with my parents (late 60s and early 70s at the time) a few years back. It was a nice walk but wasn’t long, nor particularly hard, though it’s a fairly steep ascent up to the caves.

Pictures:

Those and a few others are on my flickr page.

bigjim

AS above but worth walking past the falls up to Fionn loch for a pretty lovely view of Suilven over the water if its a nice day.

Pies from the Lochinver larder for lunch are a must.

The waterfall at Eas a’ Chual Aluinn I have been told is worth the walk but I’ve not been, I’m not sure what the best approach would be.

The wee road from Lochinver to Achiltibuie is very scenic if you like slow drives on tarmac laid on the ground kind of roads, and I think you can get boat trips out to the summer isles.

Most amazing part of the country.

euain

Stac Pollaidh is a nice walk if the weather’s good. Can scramble up to the various summits easily enough.

DavidB
    Free Member

“Old Man of Stoer Walk”

Whales have sold it to Mrs B. All the other suggestions are mint, I’ve ridden past Stac Pollaidh several times but never actualy left the bike to investigate it.l

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Bone Caves Inchnadamph’ is closed to new replies.