Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Bombtrack EXT v2 fork – how would you fit a dynamo light
  • howarthp

I want to get a ‘utility’ fork for my gravel bike. The Bombtrack fits all the criteria. Bombtrack have confirmed the M5 bolt hole under the crown is capable of carrying the weight of a dynamo light. However, I need to find some sort of fitment/holder for the light. I’ve scoured SJS Cycles and can’t find anything.

Anyone have any ideas as to what may work?

Thanks

scotroutes

My dynamo light is on my bars.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Use an L bracket. Availible from all good Hardwear stores.

howarthp

Mine too on my current bike/fork set up. however, I want to clear the bars for bags and feel the crown is a a good place for the light

trail_rat
    Free Member

If it’s for off-road you be better keeping it on the bars.

Crown mounting it flattens the terrains and you miss the dips holes and rocks

scotroutes

I wouldn’t have the space below a bag for a light. Have you checked?

crogthomas
    Free Member

Every dynamo light I’ve bought has had a bracket included for mounting it to a fork crown. What light do you have?

howarthp

Scotroutes – I’ve not checked yet. Picking up the bags in a couple of days and will look at fit.

Crogthomas – it’s an Edelux – comes with a bracket which would work well for a hole in the crown but not underneath it.

Current set up

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

That’s a lovely looking bike, OP.

Agree with others that light is better mounted higher and where easily adjustable.

Space-saving bar gidgets to the rescue? They come in a variety of configs and widths so below pic is just for illustration. Also allow to mount stuff above or below bars

Also, this below will hopefully solve it for you whichever way you choose:

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/mounting-a-dynamo-light-when-theres-no-brake-mount-and-carbon-forks/

Supernova mount bracket:

isoo
    Free Member

So it’s the fender mounting you’re going to use? I guess a narrow L-bracket as per Rat above, and then screw the Edelux’s own mount on the vertical part.

If you’re ready to DIY a bit more, you could screw 2 cm long bit of 31.8 mm tubing on one of the side cage mounts and attach a handlebar mount there. Light would be fairly low, but no problems clearing bags.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Try again:

Supernova mount bracket

howarthp

^^ looks spot on assuming the bags/light fit.

Thanks all

crogthomas
    Free Member

Can you not flip the bracket you have round so that it fits to the underside of the fork crown?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Crown mounting it flattens the terrains and you miss the dips holes and rocks

I find the opposite, it actually casts shadows over rocks, roots etc so they stand out, the opposite of the flattening effect of a helmet light.

Does need a helmet light in combination though as bigger dips disappear into shadows!

paul4stones

Since that’s my thread linked above I’ll say that I ended up putting a plastic gutter down pipe mount on the bottom of the head tube just above the bottom bearing cup. It’s a 44mm head tube and I think the pipe mount was for a 40mm pipe and cost about £1. It’s not pretty but works fine. The beam obviously turns differently from how it would if it was bar mounted, more like a motorbike.
    When I’ve mounted a bar bag I’ve used the bar bag harness from on one that someone else is currently having trouble mounting. I used the supplied straps then attached two more straps to small karabiners clipped through the bottom of the harness to lift the bag up above the light. I found a bit of plastic grid washed up on a Fife coast beach last week and plan to rig up a similarly strapped shelf to hold the bag up. I cycled to Fife from Northumberland last week with that arrangement and it worked fine.
    If anyone wants pictures I’ll post them tomorrow when it’s light!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Bombtrack EXT v2 fork – how would you fit a dynamo light’ is closed to new replies.