Bomber time……… my wife and two other ladies threatened with violence

Home Forum Bike Forum Bomber time……… my wife and two other ladies threatened with violence

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Bomber time……… my wife and two other ladies threatened with violence
  • foxyrider

Probably a private lane (We have several out our way) if labelled other lane however does no excuse verbal abuse IMHO.

Get Evans to do a "ride it" past his house.

simonfbarnes

Get Evans to do a "ride it" past his house.

every day 🙂

IanMunro

it does say private

There's the clue really 🙂

gilchrist222

Stop being pathetic and do something yourself about it. If you're so outraged go and hurl some abuse at him. If not, shut up, forget about it and tell her not to ride there again.

Check with your local Rights of Way Officer, if your in the wrong, there's nowt you can do, if he's in the wrong wee in his shoes, or organise a mass ride past every day for 4 weeks.

Junkyard

just e-mail the gird ref to SFB he will ride past it with the Boggies, get an ambulance to land in his garden whilst he takes photos of his wifes arse that will teach em.
    Serioulsy dont winge on here do something, legal, about it

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

I rather agree. Bawling people out is out of order, but if it's a private lane it's best avoided. Regrettable that anyone is enough of a berk to start kicking off at passing cyclists, but there we are.

PeterPoddy

Just because there's a sign doesn't mean it's true….

A few nice, noisy, night rides could be in order methinks…..

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

[chuckles at Junkyard] 🙂

Premier Icon theotherjonv
    Subscriber

Trespass = civil offence, even then not really an offence if you comply with the landowner's request to 'get orf moi land' by the indicated route

Threatening behaviour = criminal offence

Maybe a visit down there to remind him of the distinction.

TandemJeremy

Two issues – one is was he guilty of threatening behaviour or other criminal offences?

If so report to the police. A warning from the police should be enough. If it is private land than he has the right to remove people using reasonable force but not to make threats.

Check if it is a right of way.

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

A visit down there to remind him of the distinction = provocation (so he'd only go down for manslaughter)

😉

jonb

STW forum ride?

sofatester

If it is private land than he has the right to remove people using reasonable force but not to make threats.

So if he grabs your wife and removes her from his land using "reasonable force" it's OK? Though, if he threatens to throw her off his land it's not?

That can't be right?

Put yourself in his shoes, (not exactly the same)

A couple of people come riding up your drive,(private road)

You've had a few drinks (wine glass in hand)

Do you say:
    A: hi guys make yourselves at home

B: Get orf me land or i'll kick yer arse

C: Ask them to hold still and come inside and ask STW what to do?

Premier Icon thepurist
    Subscriber

Here's where to check if it's a ROW or not.

No excuse for going off on one at 3 laydees though – best make sure everyone on that forum ride is using a Hope/King hub…

Premier Icon Tiger6791
    Subscriber

We need to know exactly what was said.??/

stumpy01

I think TJ means 'make threats' as in:

"If you don't get off my land, I'll bleep bleep your bleep & then stuff it up your bleep"

or words to that effect.

nbt

So if he grabs your wife and removes her from his land using "reasonable force" it's OK?

no – the crux there is reasonable. In the first instance, he should ask them to leave. Once it becomes clear that asking isn't work, thenext step is to "shepherd" the trespasser. physically manhandling them should be a last resort

TandemJeremy

sofatester – its only OK to touch her if she refuses to leave the land. If she refuses to leave then the reasonable force comes into play

It is not ever allowable to threaten people.

Premier Icon Pik n Mix
    Subscriber

I live on a private road and yes its very annoying when people think they have right of way.

As you stated he had a glass of wine in his hand (maybe the catalyst for the outburst?)
    Maybe on another day they would have simply pointed out the error in your lady's ways but unfortunately she got an ear bashing.

I have a solution instead of getting revenge….. don't ride the private route again?

sharkbait

Not marked as a public right of way on the council website!

Yep. I suspect this lane used to be a PROW but has since lapsed. Maybe he should put gates on it. Still doesn't mean he can go off on one at three women. Think a phone call is in order.

fatboyslo

I'd be doubtful it really is a private road looking at the OS map, but it is possible.

Run it past the local rights of way officer at your council to double check, or do a print out of this map and then ride it yourslef, if challenged ask politlely where you are as you thought you were on this public road and point at map …. beleive it or not it's worked for me in the past and householder has backed down sharpish ….

Take a look at this link and select the OS option on the right side of the map

However I would have to ask WHY use that road when it looks like a perfectly good bridleway runs almost parallel to it … again see map …. it runs along side the wood by Tirley Garth and comes out at the end of the same lane

And I would aslo suggest private road or not if your wife and friends felt threatened they should report the matter anyway

sofatester

It is not ever allowable to threaten people.

So saying "i am going to physically remove you from my land if you don't leave immediately" would be a threat or a warning? Or does it depend on the wording? Would something like "gert orf moi land you peasant, before i throw you to the hounds" would be a big no?

When does a warning become a threat?

Moses

What has their sex got to do with it? He asked three trespassers to stop, and got angry when they didn't.

It sounds fair enough to me.

😈

TandemJeremy

sofatester – all down to "reasonablness" I think. I think the first would be OK ( just) the second is a big no no 🙂

smuttiesmith

The Cheshire definitive map shows at as an unadopted highway. Basically he is responsible for the upkeep of the lane and therefore would appear, on the face of it, to be private.

sharkbait

However I would have to ask WHY use that road when it looks like a perfectly good bridleway runs almost parallel to it … again see map …. it runs along side the wood by Tirley Garth and comes out at the end of the same lane

They were going to go up Tirley Garth but one of them knew of the house (her perfect house apparantly) and wanted to show the others!

sofatester

I best mussel the hounds in future then TJ. As I wouldn’t want to get owned with some Bombers by someone’s over sensitive husband!

😀

so they went up there specifically to have a good old ogle at someones house. thought process: heres a road, it says its private, but i really want to look at the house of the person whose road it is, so off we go, im sure they wont be annoyed at strangers riding up there road to have a good old nosy.

still, threatening women is wrong.

Just becuase its marked on an OS map, it does not mean its a ROW. Especially 'whites' – many of them are unadopted and not ROW's.

If it was additionally clearly signed as private, with the words 'no through route' as this seems to be at both ends, if I'm gonna ride it, I'd expect some aggro if caught.

sharkbait

Mrs SB and two of her mates went for a ride last night and went up a small lane that they thought was a public road (it does say private but it's a through road connecting two other lanes and has just one farmhouse on it).

As they rode past the house the owner (with wine glass in hand) shouted at them to stop and then proceded to hurl abuse at them (with shocking language) culminating in threats of violence. All three ladies were pretty shocked about the whole episode.

As the OS map only shows it as an 'other lane' I don't know if it's a right of way. Regardless of whether it's a private road or not this guys actions towards three women has made me more than mad……. I'm just trying to decide what to do about it. I have his name address and phone number – any good suggestions other than weeing in his shoes?

Edit: This is how well it's signed as being private

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

You don't have the right to hurl abuse at anyone tbh.

mt

Just because a road is "unadopted" does not make it private even if house owner(s) on the road are responsible for road upkeep. Speaking from the point of view of someone who was in the similar postion and had many a Sunday morning breakfast with an audience of ramblers looking through the window.

poppa

It's not exactly obvious, if I saw that sign I would assume it was referring to the field and not the lane.

Abuse is never permissible from anyone in a reasonably well balanced state of mind IMO

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Speaking from the point of view of someone who was in the similar postion and had many a Sunday morning breakfast with an audience of ramblers looking through the window

People in cities have to deal with that a lot 🙂

IanMunro

You don't have the right to hurl abuse at anyone tbh.

With a few exceptions, I'm pretty certain in the UK you do 🙂

Premier Icon BigDummy
    Subscriber

Yeah. Cockweasle.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Bomber time……… my wife and two other ladies threatened with violence’ is closed to new replies.