Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Bolton, Bury rides
  • matt1983
    Free Member

Hi all, new to the forum (forums in general) and fairly new to the area. Live in Harwood and wondering if anybody has any good routes they could drop in a reply for me to get to know the area.

GPX files or even if there is an old thread that I haven’t managed to find. I always get the feeling I am maybe cycling by the good stuff!

I have found lots of mentions of Holcombe and Rivington, and know about Lee and Craig quarry areas. But so far I have only been to Rivington where I basically climbed the hill up to the top from go ape and then picked a random straight line to the bottom, just to shake the new bike down.

Thanks in advance,

ratherbeintobago

Lee and Cragg are more Rochdale/Rawtenstall, and I’m not honestly sure they’re worth a special trip.

riklegge

You are very close to several STWers, and there’s a regular Monday night pub ride (MNPR) in the area which is usually listed on the forum.

matt1983
    Free Member

Ok great,

Thanks for the heads up, I’ll keep my eye out for the post. And then panic buy some lights I guess, I’d certainly appreciate some local knowledge

marcg868
    Free Member

Used to live in Harwood for 27 years. Used to loop up from Harwood do the three Resis run.
    Down Rigbys and all the way up to Entwistle reservoir, some fun trails been made in the woods on the Green Arms road side of Enty. And can extend it up to Darwen tower via Cadshaw, and down into Roddlesworth woods etc.

alexpalacefan

I could show you round Rivington if you like.

APF

binners

Your best bet would be to join us on the Monday Night Pub Rides. I’m in Ramsbottom and a lot of us live around here, Horwich and all areas around. There’s no substitute for local knowledge

Everyone’s welcome. Its social pace and always finishes at the pub. A few of them are up in the Lakes today. We’re riding the Dirt Factory in Manchester this Monday for a laugh, but normal service will be resumed next week, where we’ll be out getting wet and muddy.

If you drop me a message then I can add you to the Whatsapp group where, in between the piss-taking and general nonsense, we list all the rides we’re doing.

We’re lucky enough to live in the middle of some of the best trails in the country and we’re more than happy to show anyone around them

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2gQjwKk]Bit moody up here tonight[/url] by bin lid, on Flickr

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Kdt5XG]Pendle Hill[/url] by bin lid, on Flickr

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

If you like proper steep trails with decent sized features this place is really good to session or fit into a loop:

matt1983
    Free Member

Hi APF sounds good, When are you next planning to ride there?

Matt

MadBillMcMad

Matt, there are 2 really keen local groups that I know. One rides every Sunday about 9am from near the Ford garage in Bury. The other every Tuesday night, Tottington, Rivington, Rochdale etc. Both would be really good groups to get to know the area.

Drop me a line with your mobile and I’ll put you in contact.

I’m also happy to guide you about. I work in Bury and commute every week on the mtb.

Lee and cragg are easily rideable from Bury a number of different ways and makes a great loop.

The MNPR rides are great, sociable and ride all over the area but they do start late, but that might work for you.

You do have to like climbing though!

duncancallum

I’m a rivvy based mnprer happy to show you around anytime

PM us n I’ll happily throw a lap in for you

Harry_the_Spider

MNPR. We’re a bit shambolic, but we always manage a Christmas Party and we’ve got out own T Shirts, but mine is looking a bit sad now.

robj20
    Free Member

I tried the MNPR a while ago, good bunch of lads but they were way too quick for me i was constantly holding things up.

globalti
    Free Member

To Binners: is that first photo of you and your pals hoping to find some of those hundreds of dead birds?

To the OP: if you have transport and the time, the entire Calderdale valley offers fantastic riding. Have a look at this website for some inspiring pictures:

http://www.idonohoe.com/moorland-gallery.htm

matt1983
    Free Member

@robj20

Cycling and pubs is definitely the dream. My concern is embarrassing myself. I’m not unfit but maybe I’m not that bike fit as I’ve had a long break from it, trouble is I don’t have much to pace myself against at the moment.

Will give it a go and see what happens!

duncancallum

Mate you’ve been unlucky if your thinking your holding us up.

Really seldom are we called fast.

If you do want to come out I’ll sometimes will ride a mnpr loop the days before hand to get s sense of the time.

erictwinge
    Free Member

I’m local too. it really depends on what type of riding you are after?

you could try this route from Harwood, takes in a lot of the popular spots but not my idea of fun personally… although you could ride through Jumbles on the way to Enty rather than go over Affetside which would cut out a bit of tarmac…

https://www.komoot.com/invite-tour/108750721?code=mkgz1r-7v0uqpcpC-YHUrVIeJlKuRF_lqJgjXeQyJfNW0jqEo0

re mnpr; ive never got my head round the 8.15pm blast off – i would always wanna be home by then.

robj20
    Free Member

@duncancallum
    I did the prestwich ride, and some of the uphill sections killed me.

Might make it a new years resolution to try again after getting a bit fitter.

duncancallum

As its flat its perversily harder as you have no respite and it can be a bit quick.

PM me if you want a rivvy tour

jree
    Free Member

I’d like to tag along to some of the Monday rides if that’s okay? Need to get fit and I’d like to see some of the parts of rivvy I don’t know yet.

duncancallum

As above if you want too be in you dont need to be quick.

PM your mobile I’ll get you in the what’s app group

Harry_the_Spider

There’s a Whatsapp group?

Prestwich as an odd one as we can get a bit of speed up in there. Usually if there are hills then things slow down a bit.

Don’t feel like your holding us up though. Nobody else thought you were holding us up either.

Harry_the_Spider

re mnpr; ive never got my head round the 8.15pm blast off

Kids innit. Got to get them to bed before playing out. Also it means that we can move about a bit if there is enough time to drive.

robj20
    Free Member

@matt1983
    Definitely give MNPR ago if your in the area.
    Maybe i was thinking about it all wrong, so what if your at the back all the time, best way to get faster is ride with faster people.
    I was never left alone, they took it in turns to keep me company.

I need to get “bike fit” i can hike up mountains all day but on a bike im blowing out my ar** on any hills. I dont spend enough time on my bike really.

Harry_the_Spider

Nobody get dropped*.

The only rule of MNPR.

*unless you are a ####.

erictwinge
    Free Member

Kids innit. Got to get them to bed before playing out. Also it means that we can move about a bit if there is enough time to drive.

yeah fair enough, just personally i can never be arsed going back out again if i go home after work!

matt1983
    Free Member

@robj20 – I hear you. Just more time on the bike required for me.

MNPR – would love to come for a ride. I’ll look out for the updates on here.

Thanks

Matt

duncancallum

mnpr; ive never got my head round the 8.15pm blast off

Can be a pain but as we do get about it’s sometimes of an evil necessity

slackboy

@binners

Can you add me to the whatsapp group? Ive been meaning to come on a MNPR for ages. I’ll drop you an IM now.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Bolton, Bury rides’ is closed to new replies.