Boltby Bash – Who’s In?

• This topic has 90 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 1 day ago by  Simon.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)
  • Boltby Bash – Who’s In?
  • Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

I hope it isn’t wet, no showers and kipping in a tent for a couple of nights will be crap if it is! Last year was bone dry, just brushed the dust off and had a quick wet wipe bath 🙂

StuE is right though, Met office forecast looks fine with just a small chance of a bit of rain on Sat.

@whatyadoinsucka – was that the place doing free drinks for ginger folk or something last year (for the royal wedding?). It did smell good as we went past, may have to call in myself!

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

Yeah like the sound of a pizza! Can’t see there being many veggie options on the BBQ ha! I was looking at IPhone weather. Just checked met office and you are right 40% chance of rain Saturday. So hoping that will disappear. Can of lynx and wet wipes it is then! Need to buy a campervan! Looking forward to it. Doesn’t look like a big day either so good amount of practice Saturday looks likely.

Premier Icon Gaz.dick
    Subscriber

enjoy it folks, had an amazing time last year, gutted to not be doing it this year!

Premier Icon woody2000
    Subscriber

@russyh – it’s not a massive loop (I recorded ~21 miles and 1100m of climbing last year on “race” day), but there’s a couple of decent hills in it – one pretty much out the door if it’s anything like last years course – 800ft over a couple of miles or so.

Premier Icon Simon
    Subscriber

Doesn’t look like a big day either so good amount of practice Saturday looks likely.

It’s big enough, practice for me last year was 30km and 900m of climbing. Race day was 34km and 950m.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

Looking forward to it.

Ive got the 5010 as a backup. tbh its really really good bike and poss suits me better than the 29er stumpy but its too big for me and weighs a ton. Ive also knackered my left knee some how which isnt good. They are building up the stumpy this week. Tbh the guys at cyclegear have been ace and are swapping it for an sworks frame so thats good. But its not blue which is a bit gutting 🙁 might have to get it sprayed.

with thegards to the water its the same at ard rock. I cant believe they are putting an event on like this without a water supply. Its ridiculous.

weather. It would be nice if it was like this but its predicted rain.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Met Office now showing max 20% chance of rain either day.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

its going to be a washout….

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

Good news about the weather then!

Woody, email from the Boltby organisers suggested 20miles and 1000m climbing? Sounds reasonable but not killer?!? Hoping I and they are right. Looks like a 3 hour ride at a steady pace? Just need to chill out on the practice day I guess.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

interesting that stage 5 is blind this year.

those ramps will be fun in the wet!!

jaylittle

Bit gutted that stage 5 is blind, its an easy pedal from the campsite so was easy to practice.

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

Is it blind, blind or can you ride up alongside it or walk the trail do you know?

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

Thanks for that.

Stage 5 is closed due to livestock still on it, stage2 was my least favourite last year and only ran it in practise so need to work out how to get around that big mound ;0)

snotrag

I’ve just emailed them to clarify as their website still says Stage 3 is blind.

I wonder whether this years Stage 5 is last years Stage 3? Has the route changed???

Tyres – Shorty FR, Minion DHR on the back.

Shorty bites well on the grassy bits.

I’m riding flats this year, other than that my bike is exactly the same so I’m interested to see how I compare.

EDIT – got a quick replay from them. Exactly same route, stages and order as last year.

Premier Icon Mugboo
    Subscriber

I seem to remember lots of people falling off on Stage 5 in practice last year. Not far from the end and running in the opposite direction to the final ramp was a high line that had a small natural gtrassy drop off. I think folks were landing, grabbing too much brake and spinning out due to the lack of camber. Should be interesting if its damp.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

so i now have a new bike courtesy of the fine lads at cyclegear in halifax.
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/taNDQvDwGvJrnbgF9

hopefully it may survive the weekend but im not betting on it 🙁

i remember someone walking down with a pringled wheel from stage 5. If its wet the whole thing will be interesting. some of those offcamber roots on stage 2 will be ace 🙂

i can not start looking forward to it.

jaylittle

Bikes looking good Andy.

My mate pringled his front wheel on stage 5 practice, drove home for another wheel and ‘competed’ the next day. He’s signed up again so hopefully he’ll have more luck/skill this weekend.

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

Looks like drizzle on Saturday now. Going to make the grassy sections challenging I’m sure. Fitted new Mary 2.6 yesterday with Rimpact. The grip is insane. Looking forward to the event. Packing my kit together tonight. Hopefully going to be the start of a great summer of riding

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

All packed (I think…), ready for leaving straight from work tomorrow. Looking forward to it. First race since ‘Ard Rock 2017.

jaylittle

Only the small matter of a days work before I hit the road. If its not in the van now its not going…. Bike, beer and helmet.

Oh and my photo ID.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

tempted to fit a mary rear now or stick with the slippery butcher.

mark_rich

I have a Boltby enduro entry for sale if anyone is interested, £50.00.
    As far as I know I can easily transfer the name of entrant on my sie entries account.

Premier Icon duncancallum
    Subscriber

Black t4 top left corner if any one wants a brew

chrisyork

Haha what a legendary thing to do! Did many take you up on it?

Just finished the practice, wow it was fun!! Hard work though….
    also the photos, will that be rootsandrain do you think? Can’t wait to see the photos….do they usually take a while to upload before we can see them?

Subscriber

No one…

Still sat waiting…

Enjoyed practice.

Premier Icon Mugboo
    Subscriber

Couldn’t make practice due to work, anything I need to know about? I seem to remember finding Stage 2 hard in practice but didn’t get to race it on the day due to some poor soul hurting themselves.

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

Stage 2 is fine, some bits which will be blown out and difficult tomorrow I guess. Given a couple of bits were literally deteriorating in front of us as we watched it will have changed since practice by the time we start. Great course all round not sure what the ramped jumps are all about. Had a great day riding, hope the band quit soon. Whilst they are great, I’m more of a child out over a brew kinda guy nowadays. Weather tomorrow looks great so on for a loamy epic I think.

chrisyork

I think it was stage 2 that had a section into a wood, a corner and then there was a steep left hand corner with a rock after it, there’s two lines, the left is over a rock and a tight line, the right is loose and loamy….speed isn’t your friend with that one… the track is exactly the same as last year too

Premier Icon Jordan
    Subscriber

Just heading over to spectate. Anyone got a course map they can share please?

jaylittle

Had no internet up there or I’d have called in for a brew.
    Another great weekend, jockey wheel fell off transitioning to from stage 1 to 2, walked back and found, the bolt was still in the mech, dropped chain on stage 2 and jammed the crank, dropped chain again stage 5 and had to try roll/pump the last part.

Same time next year!

Premier Icon strugglinon
    Subscriber

Had a cracking weekend.
    Massive thanks to the boys at Wheelbase (Darlington) for keeping me rolling by going way above and beyond after my shitbox E13 cassette lunched itself.
    Absolutely superb service.
    The band totally rocked.
    All marshalling was spot on.
    Very well organised event.
    Looking forward to next year already.

Premier Icon russyh
    Subscriber

Had an amazing weekend, great trails. Ride was about the perfect length. Stage 5 blind was an absolute hoot. Band sounded good but too loud for me and my dodgy ears I’m afraid. Some quick boys and girls out, but I didn’t get overtaken all day so self regulated gaps seem to work a treat. Will deffo be back next year. Oh and it was bloody freezing in the tent!

Premier Icon Jordan
    Subscriber

@jaylittle think I maybe saw you pumping your way down stage 5 with dropped chain, or someone else with same problem.
    Everyone seemed to be having a great time. Only got to see the lower half of stage 5 but there was some really good riding going on. That off camber bit just after the little drop near the bottom of stage 5 caught a few people out.

sturdylad

I bloody loved it!
    Pushed way out of my comfort zone but stayed upright all day. Possibly more luck than talent.
    Super friendly event from the marshals the rescue guys everyone on the course and the guys in the same accom as us a few miles away.
    Spectators were a hoot too!
    Hope to be back next year.
    Hope everyone had as much fun as I did!!

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Loved it. Better riding and vibe than ‘Ard Rock IMO.

Didn’t love dumping my chain twice (half way down 2 and then about a third of the way down 5). First time I’ve lost a chain in two years.

Thanks to the marshall/photographer who picked up my Fabric Keg full of tools on Stage 1.

Will be back next year. Unfinished business with those two stages…

jaylittle

Jordan if it was near the bottom, last bend and over the jump it was probably me. Still had great fun.

My mate built a ramp which we had outside the beer tent sat night for an hour, great fun to watch people on but it got a bit lively/daring so it had to be put away.

Premier Icon andybrad
    Subscriber

Top weekend. Top people. Top riding

Subscriber

Best weekend on the bike this year

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.