Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Bolt Removal – Cube Stereo
  • fathomer

So I’m trying to check the bearings on the wife’s 2015 Cube Stereo but seriously struggling to remove the bolts that hold the rocker on. I can get either side to unscrew all the way put of the threads but can’t get them out, if that makes sense.

The setup is rocker, spacer, bearings and threaded spacer. As below, with the bearings located in the seat tube. TIA

Woodentop
    Free Member

Had that before on bikes in the workshop, ended up drilling a small hole down the center of one bolt then using a small drift to knock the opposite bolt out.
    Once one bolt it out, you can hold the threaded ‘nut’ section with an allen key to unscrew the last bolt

fathomer

@Woodentop thanks for the reply, though sounds like a recipe for disaster. I’d love to get one out without resorting to that.

Woodentop
    Free Member

Spend enough time struggling on with it and you might get them out eventually, 2mm hole in one bolt, use an old spoke and knock the opposite one out. The hole isn’t going to cause an issue to the bolt.
    5 mins and your sorted!

fathomer

@Woodentop thanks again. Will give it a go tonight, I’ve got a couple of spare bolts anyway if I really bugger it up 🙂

Jordan

Can you get the bolt to unscrew far enough to get the jaws of an open end spanner in the gap between bolt head and rocker? Use a spanner that’s as close a fit as possible to the shaft of the bolt. Then brace the other end of the spanner with your hand while tapping the spanner shaft with a hammer to tap the bolt out.

fathomer

@jordan Nope, when fully un-threaded the head of the bolt sits just back in the rockers recess unfortunately.

andybrad

is it not a case of unscrewing one bolt and then knocking it through from the other side?

fathomer

@andybrad nope, unfortunately not.

Anyway, thanks to @Woodentop and his drilling tip, it’s all out.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Bolt Removal – Cube Stereo’ is closed to new replies.