Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Bolt-on fuel bags?
  • ciquta
    Free Member

I’m in the process of building a custom frame.
    Should I consider eyelets on the top tube for a bolt-on fuel bag?

Is it more convenient than a regular strap-on?

jam-bo

Yes.

longdog
    Free Member

Yes +1. If you use a top tube bag, which I do on all my bikes, so much more stable bolted.

ciquta
    Free Member

I will, it’s for bikepacking purposes

Not much choice on the market however.

lamp
    Free Member

Yes, include them.

I use one of Apidura bags. So much more stable bolted.

longdog
    Free Member

Not much choice of what frames or bags? My Topstone has TT bolts. I just by cheap Rock Bros TT bag (also sold as west biking) as it has a stiffened base, drill a hole and put a washer under the bolt. Perfectly good enough for me.

I have a couple of old AlpKit ones, but they can be quite floppy unless you pack them carefully. Not sure about their current versions.

dovebiker

I have the Restrap one – very secure, big enough for my + size phone and doesn’t damage the paintwork

P20

Yes. We use Restrap bags. Mine has the strap (non bolt) version, my wife’s uses the bolt version and is more stable. The bolt on internal frame bags would probably require a custom bag as the Niner one was a bad fit on the Niner frame and was sent back

ciquta
    Free Member

I’ve found a nice one from Bontranger also

Thanks I’m going with bolts then

kelvin

Yes. I’d put them on any custom frame, personally. Have a Restrap strap-on one (oooo… matron) which I put on any bike when it’s going to be useful… including the full-sus… would rather it was a bolt on.

FOG

76 projects make a neat one that slides on to the bolt on mount. They even do a stick on mount if you don’t have top tube threaded holes on the top tube

rOcKeTdOg

Mounts are great especially with the A.S.S. system or even if you don’t have mounts
    76 projects A.S.S. (Anti Strap System)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.