Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Boils on your backside
  • tjagain

An issue many of us suffer from at some times. I know someone who did to the point they got fed up with cycling. After repeated bouts over many years treated with 2 week courses of antibiotics they were diagnosed with Hidradenitis suppurativa by a dermatologist and given a long course of rifampicin and clindamycin and also a lotion to use containing clindamycin.

this has simply cured the issue completely

Just putting this info out there as it may be of use to some of you who have suffered from the same issue. Worth suggesting to the GP that this might be what you have. If you do have it the usual antibiotics will suppress the infections but not clear them so they reoccur in a short time

jamj1974

👍🏼. Not suffered yet, but good to hear there are long-term and effective treatments.

hols2
    Free Member

I’m too scared to click on that link. Belongs on mumsnet, surely.

tjagain

Its a wiki link – quite safe

Its just a bit of info for folk with serious issues with boils on their backside – some folk need a very different treatment which many GPs will not know about because they react differntly to the minor skin infections that are common causing serious issues

Kryton57

I get the odd one.  I accidentally found it all went away after I started using Original Source Mint & Tea Tree shower gel, I guess the Tea Tree helps as an antiseptic – I haven’t had one since.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Bookmarked for future reference.

tjagain

Most of us get them occasionally. Folk with this condition have reoccurring and long lasting ones that seem to go away then come back even after a typical course of antibiotics

MrSmith
    Free Member

only have the odd ‘pimple’ if I’m off the bike for a while then start riding again (despite showering/changing as soon as finished ride) was recommended Camilosan which is for chapped nipples but works for an arse pimple.
    obviously not for serious ‘issues’

richardkennerley

Interesting that the antibiotics given above are used as an anti inflammatory rather than treating an infection.

If you get recurrent boils and have been given repeated courses of antibiotics, you need checking for PVL. This is a toxin produced in some strains of staph.aureus, the bug typically responsible for zits and boils. It’s something we’re seeing more and more in the lab, but I think that may be as a result of a greater understanding from gp’s leading to an increase in requests for tests.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Happy happy, joy joyeee!

(Luckily yet to have a boil anywhere, but now thanks to OP/synaptic-triggering I can hear Ren Höek’s voice in my head saying ‘Suhhpp-uuuuu-ra-TEEE-vaaaaa!)

epicyclo

Could this be a result of wearing riding gear with chamois. They look like a perfect bacterial growth medium, especially if ridden for extended periods.

Maybe @richardkennerly could comment.

I don’t use them.

chevychase

Never get owt. Not even a pimple.

But then, I go commando and haven’t used soap in about 8 years now.

Once I stopped using cleaning products my skin cleared up and my overall incidence of unwell-ness dropped pretty dramatically. (And there’s science that looks at the skin biome that kind of confirms this now).

Not saying that this is for everyone – but do those that suffer use chamoix and butt-cream?

Worth considering…

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I’ll second ditching soap and cleaning products, I’ve been a greasy git since my teen years gave up soap a couple of months ago, just a revelation.
    I had to go to the dentist last week and had to have a scan whilst looking close up in a mirror and I usually recoil in horror but was surprised how great my skin looked. Honestly just feel so much cleaner, spots and clogged pores have almost disappeared.

tjagain

Guys this is not about the issues many of us have. This is about a dermatology condition for which the usual remedies do not work and that affects a percentage of the population.

It’s a condition most healthcare people will not have heard of so I posted incase anyone on here was suffering

smudgey
    Free Member

Gross, I’ve never heard of anyone suffering from this so your speaking for yourself when you say its something many of us suffer from.
    Boils can also sometimes be caused by diabetes I know that and also if your not happy with what a G.P is prescribing for a skin complaint you can be referred to Dermatology who will be able to sort you out hopefully.

trailwagger
    Free Member

those ditching soap, are you using an alternative?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

those ditching soap, are you using an alternative?

Social distancing I suspect.

jimmy

Like that cartoon, a good squeeze and they clear up pretty quick.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Was starving. Now, not so much.

redmex
    Free Member

Billy Connolly wire brush and detol definitely not recommended

yoshimi

TJ – I suffer from HS and have done for the last 25 years – I’ve been on lots of courses of anti-biotics including long terms ones you mention…along with a few surgery’s – still comes back:(

IME it seems to be more hereditary and linked with auto-immune disease – my brother also has the odd bout and also has crohnes

I have no remedy’s by the way – just don’t usually hear anyone mention they suffer from it

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Don’t use an alternative, shower every day with just warm water. Don’t use deodorant either.
    My wife took some convincing that I had gone soap free, she says I smell lovely and no she hasn’t got Covid 19 before eddiebaby scintillates us with his awesome wit.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I’ve been no ‘poo and no’ soap on the evidence of micro-biome benefits for about 8 weeks now.

Im surprised at how much I dont smell just showering daily with water.

My wife hasn’t noticed a difference and she’s (one of) my biggest critics.

Skin is definitely better than it was and seems to be continuing to improve.

Hair was a bit greasy for 4 weeks or so, but thats settled now too.

grum
    Free Member

I used to get these a lot as a young adult, it was a real pain in the arse 😛

Not had one for 10-15 years now though. Incidentally I’m also in the no soap or deodorant camp these days.

furryaardvark
    Free Member

no soap or deodorant

bloody hell I thought it was only the Belgians who did that

scaredypants

Interesting that the antibiotics given above are used as an anti inflammatory rather than treating an infection.

Macrolides are “moderately” anti-inflammatory – wasn’t aware that clindamycin or rifampicin were supposed to be, though (edit: seems many abx may well be !)
    Funny old game though, drugs’n’shit – You can use tetracyclines for dry eyes (effect on matrix metalloproteinase effect, apparently)

Kryton57

I’ll second ditching soap and cleaning products, I’ve been a greasy git since my teen years gave up soap a couple of months ago, just a revelation.
    I had to go to the dentist last week and had to have a scan whilst looking close up in a mirror and I usually recoil in horror but was surprised how great my skin looked. Honestly just feel so much cleaner, spots and clogged pores have almost disappeared.

I want know the hygienists reaction…

chickenman

Am amused to see a thread about boils sitting next to one about Lance…

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘Boils on your backside’ is closed to new replies.