Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)
  • Boiling Piss Content – man in a rage!
  • Kryton57

This really annoys me. I take the car in for a service, knowing it needs new pads and the bloke calls me and says casually “the disks are lipped mate, I can change them all but that’ll be £740 all in please”.

I asked him to hold on, did some research / calmed down and called him back 10 mins later. I asked how much they were lipped, how worn the discs were and stated that my other car did 90k miles mostly motorway (this ones done 30k mostly town on a 4yo car) PLUS 1 pad changed on pre-lipped discs and wasnt an issue.

So’ he’s only got cheek to sound afronted, like I’d accused him of ripping me off (he could be), and angrily explained it was dangerous to add new pads to them, they were off anyway so I’d have to pay for the work.

And this is a main Ford Dealer!!!!

Why when asking someone to part with £700 the werent expecting is anyone “angry” about asking a few simple questions, and technically I’m not sure he’s right anyway.

😕

Kryton57

oops mods please delete or move to Chat

hora
    Free Member

A main dealer told me my discs and pads were 70% worn. The day after I had a puncture and it took me a very very long time to get the wheel off (rust-bonded). I had to put the nuts back on loosely and drive around in a tight circle to de-bond. The other was pretty much the same.

wwaswas

oops mods please delete or move to Chat

Extra points for wrong forum.

I’d have told him to put them back on for free as you hadn’t authorised them to do the work.

johnners
    Free Member

A main dealer told me my discs and pads were 70% worn. The day after I had a puncture and it took me a very very long time to get the wheel off (rust-bonded).

You don’t usually have to take the wheels off to assess disc and pad wear, if that’s what you’re getting at.

Kryton57

I’m pretty sure I don’t need the **** discs changed if they are lipped, I’m going to ask to see the old ones – off now so expect argument based content when I return.

Bloody Pirates!

damascus
    Free Member

They probably have a pair of lipped discs in the back for when anyone asks to look at them.

Yours will be on eBay tonight.

I agree with wwaswas, you didn’t authorise it. Put it back together and go for a 2nd opinion. They charge you twice the going rate anyway at a main dealer.

Are they offering free pads for the life of the car like another company are?

Threaten them with an engineer report and tell them you will report them to the office of fair trading. See what they say.

Remember the customer is always right.

If that fails come out with my favorite line of all time (which should only be used in circumstances like this) “can I speak to the top dog please, not deputy dawg” it really pisses people off.

Btw, now you have vented, do you think that they might have been lipped?

mintsauce5
    Free Member

i changed my front and rear discs and pads myself last month the parts cost £150 and a few hours of my time , i know its a main dealer you took it to but the price is a rip off 🙂

johnners
    Free Member

It does seem very expensive. What car is it?

kevin1911

On a similar note – how come every time my Ford dealer tells me I need new pads do they insist I need new discs too, whereas when I then drive down to my local trusted garage, they have a look and just say the pads need replaced…

Don’t trust them as far as I can throw them….

sssimon
    Free Member

I had to put the nuts back on loosely and drive around in a tight circle to de-bond

i’d be more worried about that than 70% worn discs and pads

takisawa2

What is it a carbon disc equipped Focus WRC Rally Car…!!!
    £700…!!!

Axle stands. Wheels off. Start her up in gear & get them spinning nice & fast. Dress with big file. 🙂

**In my head this works, but in reality… 😛

molgrips
    Free Member

He’s conning you. £750 for new discs and pads? Just about the simplest job on a car!

hammyuk
    Free Member

Thats RS6 money not focus…..

singletrackmind

Audi RS models run into 4 figures for a main stealershit disc and pad change.
    £740 is a blatent rip off. Do they have excessively big windows in that particular franchise?

luffy105
    Free Member

way way way too much for pads and discs. You’re being had unless it’s a high performance car

damascus
    Free Member

Are the workers at ford on commission?

simon_g

A main dealer told me my discs and pads were 70% worn.

A Honda dealer told me that. For three services in a row 😆

Kryton57

It’s a Ford Kuga. And the price actually came to £560 – still a lot. I had a look at the old discs – the did have a big lip – about 2mm depth and the pads had about 4mm left on them.

I shall be going Indy next time though.

renton
    Free Member

£750 for discs and pads… Is that all round or just the front?

If all round and at a main dealer then it probably doesn’t sound to bad!!

nealglover
    Free Member

So it was £560 for new disks and pads all round (that were needed) supplied and fitted.

That doesn’t sound too bad for a main dealer.

And as you said “all in” in your first post, I suppose that includes the service too ?

Kryton57

It was all round. The service was pre-paid so the £560 is just 4x discs and pads fitted.

Pook

I had a 4amp fuse repeatedly blowing on a focus. In warranty so I took it to the dealer who told me they’d fixed some wiring loom on the cig lighter circuit. About a week later it went again so I had a look – all they’d done was replace the 4amp with a 24amp fuse.

Charlatans.

GJP
    Free Member

£560 is still more expensive than my audi main dealer quoted me last dec, £480 IIRC

mindmap3
    Free Member

My local Ford dealer are always trying it on, I’m not surprised that the lease company get cheesed off with them. When my car went for its second service it was still only a year old and they tried to get the lease company to authorise the brake fluid change which wasn’t due fir another year. Their excuse? Normally the car is two years old when it has its second service! So what.

To be honest it ones not seem too bad cost wise knowing what my old BM used to cost. I don’t think our current BM will be too far away from discs and pads although according to the car it won’t be for another 14k.

coopersport1
    Free Member

I remember when the Focus RS 1st came out, IIRC it was £1k for front discs! Ceramic though, I nearly wept!

thorpie
    Free Member

I had both pads and discs, front and rear, changed on my Ford Mondeo ST TDCi estate today, I supplied the parts but Ford only quoted £280 fitted had they supplied the parts. Seems expensive to me!

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Put handbrake on, peek through wheel and see/feel disc lip.

£150 of top end discs and pads all round (Pagid) with top end mintex grease (not copper slip),

£90 labour or DIY 2 hrs.

£700? Focus or Ferrari?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Did the disks and pads alround on the mrs frontera last week 120quid including new slider pins.

Pagid kit as well.

Took 45 minutes an end.

How ever the bastard golf took about 3 weeks and still had a siezed caliper. Stupid car design the golf was.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Discs and pads all round on Golf – £340. I thought this was a bit steep!

£740 is just wrong.

nealglover
    Free Member

….£740 is just wrong.

Yes you’re right. It is.

(Keep reading)

daveh
    Free Member

Ford told me I would need discs at the next service (50k), my mic said they were still fine at 80k. I changed them at 80k though to nice mintex ones for £60 plus an hour or so of my time. I was advised to keep an eye on the rears/do it soonish at 60k by an indy, I couldn’t be bothered with the whole wind back thing so paid £120 for a tyre place to do it. As long as the disc is above minimum thickness the only problem with a lip is if it stops the pads going back. If that happens the lip just needs dressing off.

molgrips
    Free Member

Discs and pads should cost maybe £150, extremely easy diy job. If you can fix a bike you can change discs and pads on a car.

sicklilpuppy
    Free Member

A lot of main dealers quote for lipped disks every time you go in for something. We had a Toyota serviced at the dealers , told that the discs were lipped, we left it and 6 months later got it mot’d at another garage where the Toyota mechanic now worked by coincidence and we’re told that the disks were fine. The mechanics pick a high priced easily fixed repair that plays with your emotions, usually brakes ,discs, or tyres.
    +1 for getting them put back on, you haven’t authorised them to do the work, if it’s not included in the original service description then they have no right to do the work without your permission.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Brembo discs and pads all round for an A4 sline.. £400 plus £50 to get em fitted. Self bought and fitted by an independent tyre and brake garage.

stats

Approx 2 years ago I put my car (at the time) into the local VW dealer.
    It was getting a full service and they had called to say that the mechanic had highlighted my car was due a timing belt change, better safe than sorry they said. At approx 45,000 miles.
    It was an R32, it has a timing chain!

MS
    Free Member

I Have a focus ST and new front pads and discs were £330 last month, Think its around £200 for the rears, so price sounds about right if there similar size to mine.

Mine was done at a ford dealer too.

hora
    Free Member

@johnners how do you so accurately measure pad wear then with the pads in like that? You can feel a lipped disc and guage disc wear from behind whilst the car is up on a ramp.

I checked the pads and concluded bollocks.

Funny figure that. Just enough so it wont last till the next service Sir.

Had similar on tyres/discs/pads at a Toyota main dealer the day after a MOT.

I’ll never use a main dealer again.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

My SMax discs and pads are nearly £260ish per axel set and I’ve shopped around and Kuga will be same parts, but wouldn’t buy anything other than OEM anyway. I’ve had nothing but bad experiences with non-OEM stuff.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Bastid Audi main dealer did the same to me on a service and told me I needed new discs and pads, I didn’t believe them so told them to leave it. On a recommendation from a friend I took the car to a local garage and they confirmed I just needed pads not discs. Main dealers can be rip off merchants. Never ever took my car back to the Audi garage.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 76 total)

The topic ‘Boiling Piss Content – man in a rage!’ is closed to new replies.