Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Boilertrack world
  • kilo

We have an oil fired combi boiler outside our house in Ireland. It is a Firebird and I think it’s an Envirogreen Combipac and it supplies hot water, downstairs UFH and upstairs radiators. The issue is boiler just seems to be very high maintenance. It had both pumps replaced in 2017 with other bits and now one has gone again (along with at least the photosensitive cell and burner nozzle) and it’s just a bit unreliable. I don’t think it’s helped by being used infrequently for a house that is often empty rather than being in constant use.
    Plan at the moment is to get it working again but maybe bite the bullet and just replace it.
    Question is are Firebird actually any good or are their sturdier makes out there? Needs to be outside and there’s no scope for plumbing in cylinders in the house.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Our Firebird was junk. We inherited it with the house. No idea what maintainance it had frequently threw burner faults and would lock out for seemingly no reason.

We replaced with a grant vortex eco boiler.

In 7 years we had one expansion tank puncture(which took out the prv also) and 2 plastic valve switch bodies fail

kilo

Cheers I’d heard better things about Grant boilers will see what the availability is like out in the countryside.

chris36860
    Free Member

It’s been 6 years since I was Oftec registered, but Grant were always the benchmark for oil boilers. I’ve fitted loads of the outside models with no issues at all. Seeing that they are Irish, I’d say availability should be pretty good. They always use to use the Riello burner, which 6 years ago was the best on the market. Also, Photo cells are very common to replace and the nozzle should be replaced on every service to continue Efficient combustion.

matt_outandabout

Is it worth moving away from oil?
    GSHP or ASHP?

kilo

Seeing that they are Irish, I’d say availability should be pretty good.

Ha, makes me wonder how I ended up with a shitey old firebird – crap builders and inefficient project manager running the build for us

tillydog
    Free Member

It is a Firebird

The issue is boiler just seems to be very high maintenance.

Commiserations! So is ours.

Actually, the burner (Riello) and fire box seems to be very good, the rest of it is just a disaster. (Persistent leaking from most internal water fittings – the thing is plumbed like a tuba with bent and branched tubes going everywhere; leaks from the heat exchanger connections (modified washers needed); one pump (killed by water leaks); Non-return valves next to pumps disintegrated (seemed to be made out of a plastic that swelled up in hot water); leaking boiler vent; Failed hot water switch (£80 for a poxy little reed switch!!!); burst expansion vessel membrane; leaking thermostatic valve,… it goes on…)

If I had to pay someone to fix it, it would have been scrapped ages ago.

I’m thinking of a Grant to replace it, so watching this with interest.

kilo

Looked into ground source when we did the house up eight years or so ago. Didn’t make financial sense then, not sure on what is at present a holiday home it does even now. Not sure air source was an option then, will have a look at it.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Is it worth moving away from oil?
    GSHP or ASHP?

The maath and technology didn’t add up 7 years ago on my main residence.

It’s unlikely to add up on a second home still.

Air source is still shite from what I hear where people I know have been lumbered with it in new builds. Costs then as fortune for any semblance of heat

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Boilertrack world’ is closed to new replies.