Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 173 total)
  • Bodyfat %'s and proportions of top athletes.
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

May be, but as iDave has put it.
    Grinding out the hours on stupid long rides won’t make the difference one might expect it to.

Did i mention grinding out long hours?

My post was in reference to molgrips apparent obesssion with power to weight and need to podium and needing to measure his BF % to know if he’s gaining muscle or fat

FWIW I do loads of HIIT have had 2 fitness tests, and did nearly all of my base training at 1 hour at a time last year.

Solo
    Free Member

rather do it slowly than end up putting it all on the moment i sneeze in the direction of a slice of bread)

Yes, I know what you mean, but I hardly ever eat bread now, and really do not miss it.
    It just doesn’t appear on my food radar these days.
    Thats the result of changing my food choices, permanently, rather than just for a limited period of time.

trickydisco
    Free Member

solo

out of interest are you doing idiet stuff for performance (racing), look good or generally health?

philconsequence
    Free Member

i still eat the odd bit of bread (and other such naughtyness) but changed my rules so no processed white carbs, has to be wholegrain. and still eat the odd sugary snack. sharing a diet with mrsconsequence means i need to accept she still wants certain ‘normal’ foods.

its all good though. slowly slowly catchy molly/yeti 😈

Solo
    Free Member

Actuallly Phil. At 6″ and 84Kg, you’re virtually were I was a year or so ago.

now around 79Kg and its maintained easily.
    I still drink beer and wine, even some bourbon now and again.
    Not over looking the dark choc too.
    So actuallly, my diet includes lots of nice stuff, but I maintain a lower body weight and only gym 2-3 times a week, and usually a 2-3 hour road ride on Sundays.
    Thats a tiny amount of exercise compared to the mighty TSY.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Phil – I still eat shit loads of cake and bread.

Ain’t nothing mighty Solo. I just like exercising. I do it for the love more than anything. I need to start testing myself performance wise rather than just playing about.

willard

All this talk has got me really interested in working our where I stand on this whole sort of thing.

I have _never_ had a six pack, but have always had a reasonable amount of strength and power, only slacking since I started doing a desk job (although I have been a lot more active these last few years).

But, the only time I have ever really lost a lot of weight (went down to 13 1/2 stone due to poor diet and lack of money) was nearly 20 years ago at Uni. Now, no matter what I do, eat or how I exercise, I remain at about the same sort of weight (14 1/4 – 14 1/2 stone).

I may have to try that USMC thing and see what that says. or go and find some calipers.

phil.w
    Free Member

what does Lance eat? he goes to bed hungry…
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sStK1KG8lnA[/video]

phil.w
    Free Member

and read this (triathlete europe) and remember what works for one doesn’t work for everyone. It is very much a case of trial an improving.

Solo
    Free Member

solo

out of interest are you doing idiet stuff for performance (racing), look good or generally health?

I started out iDiet, then drifted in the direction of the paleo theme / philosophy, via MDA.

I guess I have a foot in both camps.
    However, what really draws me to Mark’s suggestions and observations is how he will look at a food source, from the clinical perspective.
    Like, how he looks at the nutrients in a food source, then follows them into the body to see what their effect is likely to be.
    For example, learning that while Olive oil does contain Omega 3, you can significantly reduce the quality and quantity of omega 3 in your olive oil by over heating it.
    I hadn’t realized that before, so I believe stuff like that is good to know.

At 43yrs, I aint gonna set the world on fire by winning races.
    But I might just be able to ensure I stick around for a very long time and that I’m happy and active while I’m here.

After all, being as fit as a butcher’s dog on a race performance basis isn’t of much interest to me, if I peg-it at 56 yrs.

But I acknowledge that there are those who would rather burn it up and take the glory.

Solo
    Free Member

Phil – I still eat shit loads of cake and bread.

Ain’t nothing mighty Solo. I just like exercising. I do it for the love more than anything. I need to start testing myself performance wise rather than just playing about.

TSY, you know I like you and all, but with the greatest respect.
    You is exercise addict.
    🙂

However, when the wall / mantle piece is creaking under the weight of all your medals and such.
    And when the years have rolled by and one day you see that 50 something TSY looking back at you in the mirror.
    Will you be able to knock the huge food consumption, on the head ?.
    And survive on less fuel.
    In other words, will you succeed where many fail.
    Will you be able to exercise your discipline and brake your entrenched eating habits.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Course I will Solo… I have discipline. I eat how much I need.

If I don’t exercise, I don’t need to eat so much.

Calories out and calories in and all that.

Solo
    Free Member

Calories out and calories in and all that.
    Cheeky.
    😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Did you watch the Lance video?

Calories out…

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeti, I have no idea if I have a calorie deficit or not. I don’t measure how much I eat, for sure, but I’ve got absolutely no idea of where that food goes when I eat it and I’ve also got no idea how much energy I burn up. How could I? Any figure of basal metabolic rate or calories/hour when doing an activity will simply be wild guesses.

I Germany when commuting a long way my weight stagnated so I upped my calorie intake by eating chocolate and lost another 2kg. Would’ve been more but I had to leave 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mol – have you read ‘Racing Weight’?

I’d’ve thought that you were statistically likely to conform to the norm for your height / weight with regards to basal metabolic rates?

Alternatively you could pay for some expensive testing.

molgrips
    Free Member

Statistically likely? So what’s that if not a guess? 🙂

I am not a typical training road cyclist/MTBer (I don’t think) in that I am a sprint athlete and as such my body composition is different to most. That seems to skew things for a start. Probably metabolic profile too.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

😆 – sounds like an excuse to keep eating too much!

You’re not that different from the norm! None of us are.

Solo
    Free Member

Sorry TSY, vids don’t do so well at my tube.

I thought you were having a bit of a iDiet community joke.

I’ll give it another go now, as lots have gone home.

🙂

kudos100
    Free Member

Body fat percentages are largely made up. 3% looks like this:

No endurance athlete has bodyfat this low. The only people who get close to it are bodybuilders, who diet to the point of collapse.

zilog6128

Yet I seem to increasingly find people asking if training for just an hour a day isn’t sufficient.
    Prolonged and repeated exercising can result in a negative result, no ?.
    Suppressed imune system, etc.

In Tim Ferriss’ book (the one you haven’t got around to reading yet) he talks about something that he calls the Minimal Effective Dose. In the context of exercise, there will be a weight/no. of reps/duration/whatever which will be optimal and by doing over this amount you’ll actually see less benefit.

If Ferriss was British he would certainly be classed as an eccentric. He has a lot of ideas knocking around in his head! Not 100% sure what to make of the book yet but it is interesting reading.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Kudos – that guy will be scarily dehydrated too!

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah it is interesting. I wouldn’t treat him as a guru and slavishly follow all the advice – the book comes over as self-help but really it’s a journal of experiments and anecdotal evidence. Maybe his publishers made it more of a ‘diet’ book I dunno.

Solo
    Free Member

sounds like an excuse to keep eating too much!
    Have to agree with TSY there Mol.
    Your idea that you’re different, I’m not convinced plays as big a role as you might believe.
    But don’t flame me for it.

Right, that vid played.
    Firstly, how irritating was that backing music ?.

Furthermore, I think its a bit more complicated than a person being just a collection of muscles which all need fueling for the duration of the activity.
    Things happen after exercise, processess kick in which also burn fat, after you’ve stopped moving.
    So therefore drawing a direct link between hours in the saddle and BF might not hold water ?.

Food deficit thing. Tricky.
    I’ve read that your body may elect to down size the Motor (skeletal muscle) by metabolising muscle rather than hitting the fat reserves.
    This way, with less muscle, the remaining body fat should last longer.
    If you lose muscle, you’ll see a reduction in body weight, but not BF perhaps ?.

sobriety
    Free Member

The USMC thingamy has me at 18% through my clothes, as there’s no way I’m stripping off in the office, and I’ve been eating like a right fat biffer these last couple of weeks as well.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Keep using the muscles then Solo?

Molly – forget weight for a min… what’s your waist measurement?

zilog6128

Kudos – that guy will be scarily dehydrated too!

I saw a doc on the telly about bodybuilders where one guy drank nothing but wine the evening before a show so he was extra dehydrated/vascular.

bikerbruce
    Free Member

well with that usmc im at 9% im 6ft3 and weight 73kg but i am 19 and im i ride 18hours a week
    Bruce

ianv
    Free Member

Since power to weight ratio is critical, I could either get lighter OR get more powerful. There certainly seems to be SOME exclusivity there. If I diet hard I don’t have the energy to do intense training and hence build power.

What lots of athletes do is eat more during the power phase and then lose weight prior to comps (That’s certainly what climbers do). You then get the benefit of extra power and the increase in power to weight when you slim down.

Also, without accurate BF measurement I don’t know if I am gaining muscle whilst losing fat.

You only really need to look in a mirror to know that.

Solo
    Free Member

Keep using the muscles then Solo?

What ?, sleep climbing ?.

molgrips
    Free Member

Molly – forget weight for a min… what’s your waist measurement?

Bout 35″ last time I checked, maybe 34″ now. 34″ trousers are very loose on the waist of course – I’m tlaking real measurements not trouser lies 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm… personally I think you’re storing more than raw unbridled power.

Solo
    Free Member

Hmmm… personally I think you’re storing more than raw unbridled power.

I think you’ll find that most of us are, TSY 😉

Like I posted earlier, I’ve a stubborn piece of insulation that even given the current time of year, I’d be interested in, losing ?.
    Although ultimately, I’ll live.

molgrips
    Free Member

You’ve seen the pics and you’ve listened to me go on about how fat I am.. no secrets there! I’m not pretending to be thin!

Solo
    Free Member

You’ve seen the pics and you’ve listened to me go on about how fat I am.. no secrets there! I’m not pretending to be thin!

Well, you aint far behind me.

I take 32″ trousers and theres slack, so I’m guessing I’m around 31-32″ waist.

As you know, I’ve landed in the high 70s Kg and unless I discover something new, or get greedy, I can’t see too much more coming off.
    I certainly have no interest in 3 percent BF.
    That body builder ^^ looks gross, imo and I would never seek to look like that.
    Especially in that shade of orange 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

32″ trousers really measure 34-35″ I reckon.

Solo
    Free Member

32″ trousers really measure 34-35″ I reckon.

Is that straight off the peg, or after they’ve been, broken in
    😉

Anyway, don’t amount to a hill O’beans.
    I no longer smuggle the Wok, all brands of my 32″ waist jeans or trousers have ample room, and some.
    But if it helps, I’ll pretend I’m as heavy as you are.
    😉

Current figures:
    43 yrs, 79Kg, 6′ 1″, 30 something waist.
    **makes note to buy fully calibrated tape measure for waist measurement**

What are yours ?.

molgrips
    Free Member

Off the peg. Try it – when I was about 35″ waist I tried on some 36″ waist trousers and I could take them off without unbuttoning them. And I have a big arse even with respect to my waist. 36 years old, 85kg, 180cm tall or 5’11, 34″ waist. Is that interesting to you? 🙂

richmars

Well on 27th Nov 2008 I had total body weight of 74Kg, and according to a DEXA scan I had a body fat % of 8.8%. Not sure how accurate that is.

Solo
    Free Member

Off the peg. Try it – when I was about 35″ waist I tried on some 36″ waist trousers and I could take them off without unbuttoning them

Yeah, I get that with my Levi 501s, half the time I haven’t undone all the fly buttons before they come off.
    So, being taller and lighter, chances are I’m slimmer than you, although I’m probably still of interest to a Japanese whaler, when compared to TSY.
    😆

Anyway, its been a cr4p day and I’m off.
    Cheers for chatting.
    Good night.
    🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 173 total)

The topic ‘Bodyfat %'s and proportions of top athletes.’ is closed to new replies.