Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Body boarding episode 3 – Weymouth edition
  • Harry_the_Spider

Going in a couple of weeks.

Can anyone recommend a decent beach for body boarding with kids within a 30 minute drive? I’m not after anything too extreme, like Molegrips of this parish, but we don’t want a millpond either. For example, we were at Kynance Cove last year and that was just right.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Bodyboarding is so passe.

It’s all about the SUP for the kids these days.

Harry_the_Spider

… meanwhile, back to the OP.

BTW Bunnyhop thinks that you are the funniest thing on here, but she thinks I’m second funniest, so she clearly is a couple of burgers short of a BBQ.

piha
    Free Member

Kimmeridge might be worth a look but not really a beach as such, as has stones with rocks in places.

Lots of rock pools to explore, a fossil museum, fishing, crabbing and an underwater safari if the kids get bored. The Kimmeridge cafe does extremely good food too.

Lovely place.

perchypanther
    Free Member

she clearly is a couple of burgers short of a BBQ.

Agreed. She clearly has very low standards.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks, will look ay Kimmeridge.

What is Lulworth Cove like? We took the kids when they were 1 and 3, so paddling was very much the order of the day. Now they want a bit more, but the 9 year old isn’t too much of a fan of the stuff that will knock her off her board.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Not really much surf around the East of Weymouth unless you travel and wait for the right day. Kids seem to have as much fun on the main town beach as anywhere really. Portland gets in the way and it has to be a biggish swell to wrap around.
    Don’t bother with Chesil, gets a swell with a short ride that throws you into the shingle. Maybe Overcombe at the north end of the bay can be fun at low tide, there is even a bit of sand up there with a nearby family friendly pub and cafes. And a funfair thingy.
    Give a shout when you’re down and I may be tempted to offer you a beer.

Harry_the_Spider

Will have a look at Overcombe too. Thanks.

Here is my lad 8 years ago getting it wrong at Nothe Fort

kid.a
    Free Member

Kimmeridge has rock ledges/benches, so gets the best waves in area when it’s working. I wouldn’t take my kids there though, bit too much.

Bournemouth and Boscombe piers work best for a bit on body boarding with the kids, nice and safe. But only when it’s working, which isn’t often (but that’s 60 mins from Weymouth). South Coast doesn’t get much, too sheltered. You need a bit of shit weather for some wave fun.

I used to be right into bodyboarding (Live in Bournemouth), but gradually stopped as there is never any waves.

brassneck

I wouldn’t let the kids swim off Chesil, pretty dangerous spot for anyone.

Kimmeridge is about the only place you might see waves worth body boarding in over summer.

Lulworth will be a mill pond.

Weymouth beach itself will be about as good as anywhere really, and safer.

Agree with Bournemouth, but if you’re in Weymouth I wouldn’t, the A35 is hell on earth round Dorchester and going to take a right hike any other way.

Harry_the_Spider

Thanks.

We don’t want to go as far as Bournemouth and I wouldn’t entertain them going in at Chesil.

As Weymouth beach is less than 100m from where we are staying, I guess that we’ll be using that a lot for our “Dad, can we have half an hour in the sea before tea?” needs. Will be going to Lulworth and Durdle Door whatever the sea conditions are.

kid.a
    Free Member

Man O’ War bay to the left of Durdle door is the best for swimming, it’s lovely. Swimming across to that rock in the middle is good fun – It seemed very adventurous as a kid! It was closed as they were repalcing the steps down to it or something like that, but might be done by now.

cookeaa

As a former Dorchester resident I would find a different water sport TBH.

Been windsurfing yet?

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The Smugglers Inn at Osmington Mills is also a pleasant stop with the Coatal Path wandering by.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Body boarding episode 3 – Weymouth edition’ is closed to new replies.