Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Bobbing rear fox shock when climbing steep hills out of the saddle
  • flanagaj
    Free Member

I find that if I get out of the saddle when climbing a steep climb with a low cadence I can feel the rear Fox RP23 shock bobbing far too much. When it bobs I know that I am wasting energy with each peddle stroke.

I think it is due to the fact that when climbing out of the saddle on the mtb I find it harder to peddle smooth circles like you can when seated. As a result I become a bit of a stomper.

Anyone else notice the bobbing when climbing out of the saddle?

crikey
    Free Member

De do dat dow don’t de?

argoose
    Free Member

A hardtail will sort that for you

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes when you put pressure on a shock it compresses and standing up puts more pressure on it.

It is usually less than you think it is
    I almost never get out the saddle on my Orange 5 as it pointless

We all notice this so either get a bike designed to avoid this – DW , faux bar etc or dont stand up

Rorschach
    Free Member

When riding uphill I tend to get out of breath,it doesn’t happen as much downhill.
    I think it is because of gravity.
    Does anyone else notice this.

flanagaj
    Free Member

I agree that remaining seated is the way and I usually always climb seated, but I find that when I am completely spent remaining seated is not an option, especially, when I am already in the lowest gear I have. It’s either stand and stomp or get off and push

Water
    Free Member

When riding uphill I tend to get out of breath,it doesn’t happen as much downhill.
    I think it is because of gravity.
    Does anyone else notice this.

😆

bigyinn
    Free Member

They all do that. Try not to really stomp on the pedals when standing up, reduces the bobbing quite a bit.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

It probably has a compression damping lever. Flick it into pro pedal mode and it will reduce the wallowyness. Could shove a bit more air in to increase spring rate. Make one change at a time and small amounts. You won’t eliminate it entirely even on a vpp Dw or maestro designed bike.

flanagaj
    Free Member

It is pretty inflated as I was on a bike packing trip. I must add that feeling spent was after 10 hours in the saddle. Back to back days as well :-O

Not sure bikepacking and me are really suited

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Bobbing rear fox shock when climbing steep hills out of the saddle’ is closed to new replies.