Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 199 total)
  • Bob Crow dead
  • IHN

So that’s a no then.

sbob
    Free Member

ransos – Member

Meanwhile, the gap between rich and poor continues to grow

You are aware that Mr Crow spent an awful amount of energy trying to secure more money for people who were already earning in excess of the national average?

ransos
    Free Member

Proves what you’re saying?

Yes. As I’ve already said, it’s been a very long time since the unions had any real power in this country.

Do remember when Thatcher was voted in? Do you remember why she was voted in?

To increase pay, reduce inflation and create jobs.

That’s what their 1979 manifesto said, anyway. Perhaps you could remind us how they got on?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    MSP

secure more money for people who were already earning in excess of the national average?

Which is why far more people are in need of unions.

ransos
    Free Member

You are aware that Mr Crow spent an awful amount of energy trying to secure more money for people who were already earning in excess of the national average?

If only people earning less than average had decent union representation…

footflaps

So that’s a no then.

Well it’s half right. She got in because 43% of those who voted, voted for her party. As for their personal reasons for doing so: 90% will have just voted along family lines (as is the way in the UK) and about 10% will have been swung by a variety of issues…

nealglover
    Free Member

perhaps it’s a good time to point out that on the same day as his death, the chief executive of the Coop has thrown his dummy out of the pram and resigned because he feels the job is too difficult for the derisory pay of 3 million a year.

It might be a good time to point out why he actually resigned.

It’s never a good time to make stuff up in an attempt to prove a point

mt
    Free Member

I see it’s hypocrites play day today.

Shame for Crow’s family and same applies Boris’s also.

AdamW
    Free Member

Out of interest I found the Conservative manifesto for 1979. Five point thingy. Of course all manifestos are generally not worth the paper they are written on, but here they are…

[list]
    [*]To restore the health of our economic and social life, by controlling inflation and striking a fair balance between the rights and duties of the trade union movement.[/*]
    [*]To restore incentives so that hard work pays, success is rewarded and genuine new jobs are created in an expanding economy.[/*]
    [*]To uphold Parliament and the rule of law.[/*]
    [*]To support family life, by helping people to become home-owners, raising the standards of their children’s education, and concentrating welfare services on the effective support of the old, the sick, the disabled and those who are in real need.[/*]
    [*]To strengthen Britain’s defences and work with our allies to protect our interests in an increasingly threatening world.[/*]
    [/list]

ransos
    Free Member

Bob Crows confrontational style will only hasten the inevitable automation with little public sympathy for the job losses and inevitable safety and insecure feelings that an automated tube system will bring.

Nah, that will happen regardless of how malleable their union is.

sbob
    Free Member

footflaps – Member

Yes, she said ‘Look, if you f*** everyone else over and only care about yourself, you just might get lucky and be one of the well off.’ and about 43% of the voters said, ‘yep, I’ll take that, I never liked my neighbours anyhow’.

She was voted in because of her promise to break the unions, and you know this footflaps.

ransos
    Free Member

She was voted in because of her promise to break the unions, and you know this footflaps.

I can’t find that promise anywhere in the manifesto, perhaps you could point it out? When you have, perhaps you could present the evidence that this is why people voted conservative.

sbob
    Free Member

ransos – Member

I can’t find that promise anywhere in the manifesto, perhaps you could point it out? When you have, perhaps you could present the evidence that this is why people voted conservative.

So when we had rubbish piling up in the streets, power blackouts, even bodies piling up in morgues, the general population were all too happy about it?
    Jesus Titty **** Christ.
    Either your memory is going, you actually have no idea, or you’re in complete denial.

Pick any one, I’m going shopping. 🙂

dazh

It might be a good time to point out why he actually resigned.

So it’s just a coincidence that he resigned days after the massive pay rise he and his fellow board members approved for themselves is called into question after being leaked? If the Coop is so un-governable why didn’t he resign a month ago?

chestrockwell

I heard him speak at the FBU Conference and he was superb. Did his job and improved the lot of his members. I’m proud to be a member of a Trade Union and would have been proud to stand shoulder to shoulder with Bob. RIP.

I had a good idea this forum had over it’s fair share of c***s and I have no reason to believe differently today.

mimilovell
    Free Member

oh dear. Sad to hear about this. RIP

dazh

So when we had rubbish piling up in the streets, power blackouts, even bodies piling up in morgues, the general population were all too happy about it?

It was only a matter of time before someone started shouting ‘THE DEAD WERE LEFT UNBURIED!’.

IHN

So it’s just a coincidence that he resigned days after the massive pay rise he and his fellow board members approved for themselves is called into question after being leaked? If the Coop is so un-governable why didn’t he resign a month ago?

Because maybe the fact that the pay deal was leaked was the last straw, proving to him once and or all that (elements within) the Group are so resistant to change that they will even use nefarious means to prevent it, such as trying to undermine the Chief Exec?

What he’s said to the Board, and therefore the Group, is “you’ve asked me to turn this Group around, but you won’t be turned around, so I’m wasting my time and you’re wasting your money, so I may as well leave”. Sounds fair enough to me.

ransos
    Free Member

Jesus Titty **** Christ.
    Either your memory is going, you actually have no idea, or you’re in complete denial.

Pick any one, I’m going shopping.

I made a simple request for you to support your assertion that Thatcher was voted in because she promised to smash the unions. That you have not done so tells me you can’t, because she didn’t.

As an aside, I can only assume that you forgot about the raging inflation, mass unemployment and social unrest that were the hallmarks of the conservative government. Either that, or you just don’t care.

ransos
    Free Member

It was only a matter of time before someone started shouting ‘THE DEAD WERE LEFT UNBURIED!’.

Never forget: in any industrial dispute, it’s always the fault of the unions.

chewkw
    Free Member

Living is hard.

Everything you have can be taken away from you in one single moment.

We come into this world with nothing and we shall leave this world with nothing.

The only certainty is death.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

He’s gone shopping. 🙁

footflaps

I think you’re looking at the past through (anti-union) tinted glasses. That was only a small part of the manifesto and not even the main item. The big ticket item was control of inflation.

http://www.conservative-party.net/manifestos/1979/1979-conservative-manifesto.shtml

ransos
    Free Member

The big ticket item was control of inflation.

…which went up to 18% by 1980. And 3 million unemployed.

tinybits
    Free Member

But she wasn’t voted in because she promised to fail in her kpi’s was she?

dazh

Because maybe the fact that the pay deal was leaked was the last straw, proving to him once and or all that (elements within) the Group are so resistant to change that they will even use nefarious means to prevent it, such as trying to undermine the Chief Exec?

Or maybe another interpretation is that he was happy to be the head of an un-governable organisation and have a job which was un-doable as long as he was paid a ridiculous amount of money which wasn’t dependent on success, and if they didn’t pay him that he’d bugger off and leave them in the sh*t. And to think people accuse the unions of holding employers to ransom!

oldbloke
    Free Member

The big ticket item was control of inflation.

…which went up to 18% by 1980. And 3 million unemployed.
    The inflation was oil price related (oil price more than doubled, from memory). It started to rise under Labour in 1978, continued to do so under the Tories until 1980-81 when it started to come down. Doubt either party could have stopped that.

oldbloke
    Free Member

Or maybe another interpretation is that he was happy to be the head of an un-governable organisation and have a job which was un-doable as long as he was paid a ridiculous amount of money which wasn’t dependent on success, and if they didn’t pay him that he’d bugger off and leave them in the sh*t. And to think people accuse the unions of holding employers to ransom!

An alternative to speculation is to read the news release from the Co-op in which he says he’s not taking the money.

dazh

An alternative to speculation is to read the news release from the Co-op in which he says he’s not taking the money.

Yes now he isn’t, because he can’t if he wants to retain any shred of integrity. Pity he didn’t have the same scruples when his salary consultants sent him the report recommending that he and his board should have their remuneration packages massively increased despite the fact that they were presiding over a loss-making organisation and 5000 redundancies.

Junkyard
    Free Member

The inflation was oil price related (oil price more than doubled, from memory). It started to rise under Labour in 1978, continued to do so under the Tories until 1980-81 when it started to come down. Doubt either party could have stopped that.

Pretty fair but the doubling of VAT by Howe/Them /her exacerbated and lengthened the peak inflation rate IMHO but yes any govt would have seen rising inflation due to oil.

So jobs how did she deliver on that one then? Should be less controversial

I will not accept the retention payments and long term incentive payments previously agreed for the delivery and protection of value in the Group and the Bank, even though this was successfully delivered.

Genuine question – what was the value of this and what has he still received in terms of renumeration? It will be sizeable I assume.

mefty
    Free Member

Our five tasks are:

To restore the health of our economic and social life, by controlling inflation and striking a fair balance between the rights and duties of the trade union movement.
    To restore incentives so that hard work pays, success is rewarded and genuine new jobs are created in an expanding economy.
    To uphold Parliament and the rule of law.
    To support family life, by helping people to become home-owners, raising the standards of their children’s education, and concentrating welfare services on the effective support of the old, the sick, the disabled and those who are in real need.
    To strengthen Britain’s defences and work with our allies to protect our interests in an increasingly threatening world.

Tory manifesto 1979 – Union reform no 1 task together with control of inflation as already posted.

footflaps

To restore the health of our economic and social life, by controlling inflation and striking a fair balance between the rights and duties of the trade union movement.

Although in the detail, Unions are #3 under “Control Inflation” & “Better Value for Money”.

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

As an RMT member I didn’t agree with all he did but I thank him for keeping my final salary pension intact, my workplace safe, my free travel facilities and for standing up to a rail infrastructure company when our small dept of 12 people was bullied into signing new contracts and losing most of our OT and shift enhancements. He got involved and within 48hrs we were all asked if we wanted to be put back on our original contracts.

RIP Brother Crow.

hora
    Free Member

Yaaaaaa! Lets all have final salary scheme for 20yrs +

Erm whos paying for it? Train passengers.

allthepies
    Free Member

London council tax payers too. But they’re all loaded 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

Can we put this thread in the Encyclopedia Galactica under ‘Singletrackworld Forum’, it will save so much time, and space…

EDIT: also, a giant of what he believed in (whatever you think that might be), last of a kind we just don’t make any more. More fool us, what ever you think of the discussion, it’s a discussion you should worry if we stop having it.

oldboy
    Free Member

Union dinosaur, but RIP and condolences to his family.

RustySpanner

Hora, why do you hate ordinary people so much?
    Not being funny, but are you ashamed of your background?

RIP Bob, the last man prepared to stand up for working people.

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Like my Grandad, an old NALGO chief, leaders like this are sorely missed in this generation.

Or by me anyway.

Rest comfortably, sir!

grum
    Free Member

Erm whos paying for it? Train passengers.

I know someone who works on train line maintenance/safety, and the level of waste/inefficiency/incompetence/borderline fraud is absolutely staggering. And several layers of subcontractors are making absolutely vast profits out of it.

Wasn’t the wonderful efficient private sector meant to make everything work so much better?

I think I’d be getting cross about that before going after decent working conditions/rights for ordinary people.

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 199 total)

The topic ‘Bob Crow dead’ is closed to new replies.