Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Boardman XC frame in Halfrauds – £109 – worth it?
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was in Halfrauds (Brislington) today [getting a CO2 inflator as I'm having a mare with my current ghetto tubeless project]

I noticed they had a bare Boardman XC frame on display… "yeah we've got loads out back". I enquired about the price as it wasn't marked-up: "£109" To me that seems very cheap for what people are saying is a decent frame.

What do you think?

nickc

Seems like a good price

0091paddy
    Free Member

Which model? If it's the XC Pro then yes that is a very good price!

odannyboy
    Free Member

ive seen these in other halfords stores. why the deluge of unneeded unwanted frames??? as far as i know you can buy/they dont sell bare frames.
    warranty claim items??

njee20
    Free Member

Sold the bits to avoid heavily discounting the bikes?

workhard
    Free Member

what colour? white, or a shade of grey

0091paddy
    Free Member

The frames are available individually, not just as warranty items.

wombat

I've got an XC Pro and think it's excellent, if I saw that I'd have one at that price

workhard
    Free Member

If they are Pro frames then I feel a Boardman Pro HT SS coming on

odannyboy
    Free Member

if you get it, please weight the frame bare and let us all know what it tips the scales at? i have a bourdman pro and i would love to know how light/not light the frame is.i dont belive they quote frame weights on the website….

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

it's grey

i didn't see if it's "pro"

tempting isn't it?!!!

workhard
    Free Member

if it is painted grey, and painted grey rather than bare metal grey, then most likely a team frame. would still make a damn fine SS though and give me a monster excuse to u/g all the ritchey pro bits to WCS carbon on my Pro and re use them on the SS!

Shame I've got no money. Time to start selling things…..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I bought it. I'll post when I've done some building up.

user-removed
    Free Member

Good on ya. My Pro frame is grey by the way – think it might be the 2008 model?

retro83
    Free Member

Damn. None in my local store.
    🙁

Crell
    Free Member

The frames are identical aren't they? So unless you're after a specific colour it shouldn't be a problem. I can't fault the wife's 09 boardman pro.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

The frames are identical aren't they?

Apparently not. The "Pro" is meant to be very light indeed. They tried to sell me a 2009 pro frame for £320!

I got the mech hanger today. Can't wait to build it from my bits of the old HT. (I obviously can as I'm sat here surfing the forum, tch!)

retro83
    Free Member

some are triple butted, some just butted

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

odannyboy: I have weighed the frame with headset cups in and hanger fitted.

It's a shade over 1.7 kg – woo hooo

Compared that with my Mongoose Tyax frame which weighed in at 3.2 kg – I know it is a tank, but not that much!

z1ppy

I've built a Boardman Team up for a m8, from a sale on here, looks good and he seems well happy with it. Though considering the bike he's come from, that not too hard. Unfortunaltely the frame is too small for me to ride.

Sorry not great shoot and still needs finishing (when CRC get some olives in)

not sure ifs that worked, so another link:
    http://paul2324.fotopic.net/p61089666.html

jonnyvegas
    Free Member

they can order any frame a mate of mine had 08 pro then few months ago asked about the new 09 Pro they got him one in around #180ish i think but he got his 15% discount aswell..

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I think there's a bit missing on mine tho…

The gear cables run under the BB so here must be a plasticy bit for them to slide though? I don't have one on mine.

zippy: could you photograph the underside of the BB for me so I know what U'm looking for?

user-removed
    Free Member

Yup – there's a two channel cable guide under the BB – have you got a hole drilled to take it?

Just for the record, here's mine – sorry, no pics of the underside…

Stem now replaced with something a little less, ahem, obvious….

z1ppy

indeed the should be guide under neath for both mech cables.

Sorry B-L can't take a photo of it until next weekend at the earliest, as it's now with my m8…and that's if he's out…

breatheeasy
    Free Member

Buzz, it'll look something like this underneath the b/bracket shell

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

breatheasy: thanks. I popped into Halfords at lunchtime and they found one for me.

They also pressed out my old crown race and pressed the new one on.

I have to put in a good word for the lads at the Brislington Bike Hut. Thanks guys, you're almost an LBS.

Front derailleur: From the two pics above, it looks like zippy has fitted a bottom swing and user-removed has fitted a top swing. trying to decide what to get. What do you think?

z1ppy

I'm not totally happy with the setup of the "top swing" front mech (U-R 's is a 'conventional' IIRC), though I think this is more to do with my mechanical ineptitude rather than an issue with the mech type.

I picked it, as I seem to recall them being described as the 'better' of the two types if you have a choice, can't remember why that was though….

clubber
    Free Member

Nah, top swing are crap – they go wobbly much quicker than conventional ones though functionally up to that point, they're fine.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Plumped for an SLX bottom swing.

You chaps have been helpful -thanks

I'll post a pic of the build when done

pealy
    Free Member

Anyone know what size seat-tube-clamp this takes? I've built up a bike using this frame too but can't see any dimensions on the existing clamp – I want to get a QR version.

Here's mine, finished at midnight last night, mostly with bits from my 1993 Indian Fire Trail, had to sand the purple paint off the bar-ends!

Had a bugger of a time getting that front derailleur shifting down without rubbing the tyre. And the red wheel isn't by design, nobody mentioned the colour when I bought it 2nd hand..

shortcut

I have a large 2009 white Boardman pro frame for sale if anyone is interested email me. Addy in profile.

The frame is unridden!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sorry I meant to put this up ages ago:

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Boardman XC frame in Halfrauds – £109 – worth it?’ is closed to new replies.