Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Board games – again….Arkham Horror for newbies?
  • RustySpanner

Hiya.

Have a couple of quid spare after a birthday and looking at a boardgame to play with friends and family.

Just read through loads of previous threads (thanks) so Carcassonne and Ticket to Ride Europe are favourites for family at the moment.

However, a few of us used to play lots of (A)D&D, Bloodbowl, Space Hulk etc in our youth so I’m considering Arkham Horror as an alternative.

I like the theme and it gets great reviews.

Too long and complex for younger and non geeky  family members as a first big board game?

I realise the correct answer is to buy them all, but it’s just going to be the one for the time being.

Thanks in advance…

And if anyone can recommend some good bricks and mortar shops in the North West I’d be grateful. I know Fan Boy Three in Manchester and apparently there’s a place in Burnley but I’ve not checked it out yet…..

coiffuredchimp
    Free Member
    Cougar

Too long and complex for younger and non geeky  family members as a first big board game?

I’d say so.  There’s a lot going on and it’s a brutal difficulty curve.

I’ve yet to go to the Burnley shop – yell if you fancy a trip one lunchtime.  There’s one in Colne too, in the arcade.

There’s a board gaming group in Burnley and a new one in Preston where you can rock up and play, get exposure to some new games.  I can give you details if you want.  There’s also Dice & Donuts cafe a stone’s throw from the train station in Preston where you can essentially rent games to play.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Cougar

Oh – my go-to shop in Manchester is Travelling Man.  Fan Boy 3 tends to be full of Pokemon and 40K players IME.

RustySpanner

Shame about Arkham, looks fun.

Played the Call of Cthulu RPG a couple of times years ago and enjoyed the vibe, so might save that one till Christmas.

“I can give you details if you want”.

Please.

Aware of one in the church at Hurstwood but not had time to pop in yet, just 5 minutes away.

Don’t think the Burnley or Colne shops are open at lunchtimes, it’s 2pm/4pm till late I believe.

Might be able to stretch to the Big Box Carcassonne edition, which seems like good value. Time for some more research.

The Sherlock Holmes game appeals to as a bit of a Conan Doyle fanboy, but I think it only comes with 10 cases so might hold on for that one too…..

Much appreciated all…..

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I can recommend Arkham Horror the card game by FFG.

Cougar

Burnley Board Gamers (Hurstwood, yes):

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1518173398440494/

Preston Board Gamers

https://www.facebook.com/groups/PrestonBoardGamers/

The Sherlock Holmes game appeals to as a bit of a Conan Doyle fanboy

You mean 221B Baker St, that was made in like the late Jurassic?  I played that back in like 1992 or something, I remember really enjoying it at the time but I had little to compare it to.  And yeah, there’s a limited lifespan on it because of the number of cases.  I’ll be amazed if there isn’t more cases available in the Internet age.

Cougar

Oh!  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/221B_Baker_Street_(board_game)

The original game has twenty cases, but there are ten expansion sets of 20 cases each for a total of 200 cases available for play. A new Deluxe Edition of 221 B Baker Street, published by Hansen, has been released in the U.S. in 2016-17. This Deluxe Edition contains the original 180 Cases plus 20 all-new never-before-solved Cases for a Complete Set of 200 Cases. The Deluxe Edition also includes all new artwork and collectible Sherlockian metal tokens. The original game has been licensed for sale in the UK (Gibsons Games), Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Brazil. Editions of the game published by Gibson have reproduced 40 of the 180 cases of the Hansen edition, but also include 80 new cases.

(Someone can’t add up…)

Cougar

Might be able to stretch to the Big Box Carcassonne edition, which seems like good value. Time for some more research.

Be aware, there’s been several reissues of the Big Box over the years, with different contents.  But yeah, if I were buying it tomorrow that’s what I’d go for.

Not that I should be buying any more games…

https://boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/UKCougar

RustySpanner

I think the one I was looking at is called Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective, watched a few vids last night and it’s an interesting concept.

However now you’ve mentioned it I might have to try the Baker Street game too.

🙂

Cougar

However, a few of us used to play lots of (A)D&D, Bloodbowl, Space Hulk etc in our youth so I’m considering Arkham Horror as an alternative.

I think you’ll really like Small World.

Cougar

I think the one I was looking at is called Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective

I’m not familiar with that, but from a quick look on BGG it does indeed look like a very interesting concept.

sobriety
    Free Member

Betrayal at house on the hill is good fun, and not too involved.

CountZero

Played the Call of Cthulu RPG a couple of times years ago and enjoyed the vibe, so might save that one till Christmas.

Used to play that as well as AD&D years ago, still got my metal figures and books…

CofC is great if you really don’t want to develop characters and get fond of them – they’re going to die horrible deaths no matter what you do, we’re dealing with Elder Gods, not orcs here!

RustySpanner

Quick update.

Picked up Ticket to Ride – Europe and Codewords, both of which are superb in very different ways.

Ticket to Ride is as good as everyone says – simple to learn and so much fun to play – everyone who’s had a go, from 9 to 70’s has really ‘got it’.

Codewords is fiendish and seems like a grower, great for the pub, excellent value and you can get it from Tesco.

Also had an Argos voucher knocking around so spent this evening building the train for Colt Express…..looks a bit more complex so fingers crossed.

Ta for the recommendations. 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Board games – again….Arkham Horror for newbies?’ is closed to new replies.