Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • BMXing for kids at The National Cycling Centre
  • Harry_the_Spider

We took our nippers for a spin round the MTB skills area at The N.C.C. yesterday (excellent, by the way) then went inside for some chips and to have a look at the BMX arena. There were loads of kids in there on a coaching session and my 5 year old daughter really wants to have a go. The 7 year old lad was less keen, but she is braver than him.

Has anyone taken their little ones for a go? What is the deal? How was it?

scaled
    Free Member

I’m definitely interested in this, I’ve got a 4.5 year old daughter who’s confident on a bike but a bit shaky on slopes, what with growing up in South Manchester and all.

Give us a shout if she wants a bit of girly company riding round the MTB skills bit though

EDIT: When i looked in to it before there was the strider sessions things for the under 5s but was all on balance bikes

dazh

I’m also curious. My 10 year old has expressed an interest in the past but is worried about being the slowest (dunno where she get the competitiveness from!).

Careful though, mini bmx racing bikes are not much cheaper than the adult versions!

mintimperial

Yeah, I first took my boy along when he was 5 and we’ve been quite a few times since. He loves it, was rolling off the 5m ramp after 3 or 4 sessions. Worked wonders on his riding.

The starter session is basically the same format at the MNPR sessions we’ve been on but slower, the coaches are more hands on, and it’s taken at a much easier pace that fits in with the kids’ abilities. They spend maybe 15 minutes just making sure that everyone is going round the cones properly, has the hang of pedal positions etc, then they spend ages on the last two straights, making sure everyone can roll over the rhythm section safely. After that they move on to the full track and start ramp, and eventually up to the gate if enough people are happy with that. They’re pretty flexible and will let more wary kids hang out on the smaller stuff if that’s what they want.

The hire bikes are bit on the big side for a 5yo, mostly because the cranks are too long. We got round that by taking his bike instead (Islabike Beinn, 20″), they’re fine with that so long as the bike is safe and doesn’t have pegs.

Take lots of water to drink and sweets for break time…

Harry_the_Spider

Give us a shout if she wants a bit of girly company riding round the MTB skills bit though

Going for a “shake down” ride next Saurday morning. She is moving up to a 16″ wheel and he to a 20″. Not sure where though, either NCC of Queens Park in Rochdale. For medical reasons there has to be chips.

I’ll try and talk them in to NCC if you want to meet up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘BMXing for kids at The National Cycling Centre’ is closed to new replies.