Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • BMX Experts – is this any good?
  • sc-xc

Used We the people BMX

Being ‘the bike guy’ at work, I have been asked if this is any good for a colleagues son…

Notwithstanding the terrible spelling, is the bike any good?

Cheers

deanfbm
    Free Member

It’s ok like. £250 is sort of reasonable for it.

Most of the frame is high tensile steel which isn’t great, atleast the forks are cromo. This your first foray into BMX? It’s small with a steep HA, so it’ll be very twitchy.

Cheaper BMXs are aimed at kids so are smaller and twitchier, more expensive ones are aimed at older teens and adults, so are bigger and less twitchy.

thepodge
    Free Member

wtp are good bikes but as for is it good for someones kid? depends…

sc-xc

Cheers – I think he’s about 13/14 ish…

geoffj

If your colleague’s son doesn’t know what he wants, then I’d say that bike wasn’t going to be ideal.

It has all the right bits, micro gearing, half link chain, gyro brake etc., but its a little on the steep side price wise. 150-200 for it would be more reasonable.

For a kid that didn’t know what he wanted, I’d be tempted to go for a cheaper second hand one and then upgrade/replace, when they know what they want.

toys19
    Free Member

TBH for not much more you could get a new bike, I suggest talking to Gav or Tim at the boarding house or Stodgy at the Rad Bmx Shop or tv presenter Steve Wilson at his now shop Lifer BMX.

Or register on radbmx and get some really good advice..

Marko

Looks good to me. Machined stem and three piece cranks – as far as I can see from the photo.

Cheap BMX bikes still tend to have one piece cranks BTW, so that looks good. Is it worth £250? . . .Mmmmm.

Hth
    Marko

ziggy
    Free Member

Not sure you could get the same BMX for similar money new.

Looks pretty good to me, the WTP Reason was £339 new, the rear Profile hub costs about £140, the front hub £50, rims £40 each.

As long as it’s all straight and true I’d say that’s quite a bargain.

yunki
    Free Member

13/14 year old…?
    after a decent BMX..?

Maybe I’m assuming too much but I imagine that the kid will already have a very set idea themselves about what constitutes a good bike.. quite possibly infinitely more well informed and better researched than any of the advice that you’ll find here..

My mum made the mistake of over-ruling my judgement and listening to the advice of an ‘expert’ when she bought me my first ever brand new bike after a win on the bingo..

Thanks to that pranny’s advice I ended up with a shiny 10 speed raleigh racer instead of the tuff bomber that I longed for..
    luckily I somehow managed to pass off my tears of disappointment as tears of gratitude..

sc-xc

Cheers all,

This is the bike he has seen and likes – his mum doesn’t have much money and didn’t want to buy a lemon, so wanted a bit of advice.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

The wheels are a pretty damn good spec, You don’t get much better than profile.

Try and haggle but £250 isn’t that bad a price.

finbar
    Free Member

Cheap BMX bikes still tend to have one piece cranks BTW,

That’s not really true anymore, unless you’re talking very cheap (like under £200).

It looks like an alright deal, but not stellar. The wheels are great as everyone above says, but the hi-ten frame isn’t. You can get a frame like that for thirty notes second hand.

On the plus side it doesn’t look like it’s been ridden very hard, which is a worry for second-hand bmxes.

Here’s a new bike for the same money with a better frame (full cromo), but without the blingy Profile hubs:

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/19091/MirraCo_Black_Pearl_2_Bike_2009

Or maybe one of these for £15 more if he wants a more legit company and a shorter toptube (like the WTP):

http://www.winstanleysbmx.com/product/34842/Eastern_Night_Prowler_Bike_2011

fourbanger
    Free Member

I was toying with the idea of this for a while:
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/Bike+Shop/Bikes/Mountain+Bikes/Commencal+Bikes/Commencal+Absolut+BMX_CM5551.htm
    Seems pretty good value. Haven’t had a bmx for years so I’d appreciate opinions.

geoffj

Micro gearing and cromo frame for less than £250 – it looks good to me.

*considers ordering one for junior 1 ❓

joolsburger
    Free Member

I recently bought a Felt BMX for my lad on ebay

Cromo frame and forks, 3 piece cranks, nice bits and in mint condition for £115 quid.

That bike seems expensive.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘BMX Experts – is this any good?’ is closed to new replies.