Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Bmx bike for 8yo – any suggestions?
  • joemmo
    Free Member

My lad is coming up to 8 and currently enjoying riding his 20″ frog on the pump track and skate park and as he’ll soon be inheriting his sister’s 24″ I’ve been looking at a BMX for his birthday.

It doesn’t need to be new or high end but I’m just wondering who does decent well proportioned bikes for smaller riders? Should I be looking for 18″ wheels? Cheers for any advice

trumpton
    Free Member

whats his height?

joemmo
    Free Member

1m 26cm / very average height, light build.

takisawa2

My lad (then 9) is short for his age, & the excellent advice on here was to get him a 16” wheel BMX. It sounded tiny but even I could ride it. It’s size meant he could handle & manipulate it easier than an 18” model.

It’s still in the garage if your interested. It’s a Diamond Back. Was £200 new. It’s a full on model, not a toy one. He’s just gone up to a 20”.

oikeith

OP these days you’re spoilt for choice, you can pick up BMX’s with 14,16 or 18 inch wheels to suit your sons height. brands such as Jet do okay BMXs or you can get better ones from We The People or United for example. From buying a few second hand for my nephew these generally hold there value okay, the more expensive ones have more robust parts which survive the bike being dropped etc

Stealth ad, my nephew who is 8 has just gone up a size, Id say he’s a big 8 year old and I am looking to shift his old 16inch BMX. PM me for details if interested.

joemmo
    Free Member

Cheers for the advice and offers but thanks to my wife’s eagle eyes on the local farcebook jumble group I just picked up a Cult 18″ bmx for £65. Alu frame, 3pc cranks, u brake… A few scars and needs a bit of spannering but looks the business. The lad should be very chuffed.

trumpton
    Free Member

well done.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Bmx bike for 8yo – any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.