Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • BMW's and the weather
  • SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

couldashouldawoulda – Our A3 is a doddle to get moving and behaves itself pretty damn well in the snow and ice. Used to have a passat too which was better than the A3 in snow. Think it might just be the driver…

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

mmmm. Coulbe be. But we live up a hill. You;ve met me near there. The only cars up and down the hill in the last 2 year in these conditions (eg tonight) have been mine. I might be a crap driver. Probably am! But the A3 & A6 were surprisingly bad gettting up our hill. Our bmw is totally a non starter!

Oh – I only met you a couple of times – but if you fancy dropping round for a coffee – let me know. I’ve got cabin fever. I’ll guarantee you a giggle getting up our hill in the snow!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Aye. We used to live at the bottom of a hill. Scandinavian flick at the bottom of it at use momentum as your friend. It’s the only way to fly.

I am not much of a coffee person, but if you fancy going for a wee spin on the bikes in the snow later in the week I quite fancy that.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

if you fancy going for a wee spin on the bikes in the snow later in the week I quite fancy that.

Sorted! I’ve got cabin fever 🙂 Tea / beer is available too!

uponthedowns
    Free Member

he’s getting very bored of telling people to turn off the traction control, put in second and go easy on clutch (or just overide into second if auto) which is what head office in munich told them.

Yeah tried all that when I used to own a 3 series. Doesn’t work if there’s a gradient.

Hohum
    Free Member

Above 4 inches of snow (especially with ice below) and you are goosed.

Less than that and with a bit of momentum and you can get places as long as no-one decides to stop…

diggers
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNin7QJEOZE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

ivantate
    Free Member

1 series seem to be slightly more capable than the others although generally let down by the drivers.

A bmw survey showed 4 out of 5 owners didnt know if it was front or rear wheel drive. this is why they are considering making it fwd after the next generation.

Laughing at all the expert drivers who can go anywhere in their bmws, you can come and try mine as with 23years of offroad driving experience i cant get it to perform anyting like a fwd in the snow.

addy6402

I’ve been out and about in my E23 728i auto this weekend. a bit of sideways action here and there but some forward planning on hills and junctions saw me right. I like the comment in the owners manual that up to 50kg of ballast can be added to the boot to aid traction! 😆

hora
    Free Member

Nothing wrong with bmw’s. It speaks volumes for most of the drivers though.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Its not that BMW’s are crap in snow, its just that becuase there are so many BM’s on the road compared to other rwd’s it makes them look worse.

The fact is that most people who buy a BMW probably dont even realise its rwd, or understand how a rwd drives differently to a fwd.

Any rwd are fine if you have momentum, if you stop you can be knackered, even on a flat road the camber can be enough to stop you going any where.

Recently I have seen some really well driven BMW’s going very side ways under control, however I have seen plenty of fwd’s going no where fast stopping rwd’s going anywhere.

large418
    Free Member

Have people never heard of letting air out of their tyres? If you get stuck, let the tyres down to fairly flat (10psi) – instant traction – even on RWD BMWs, Mercs, etc etc

Works on the driven wheels only though, so you do need to know which end is doing the work.

Apply what we know on bike tyres to your car!

M6TTF
    Free Member

LOL at diggers clip – instead of just filming the muppet could’ve just gone out and given her a shove – it’s the same around here! Neighbour was struggling to get out of the courtyard, there were at least 5 neighbours just watching out the window, so I just chucked some trousers on and went to help instead – hopefully the favour will be returned one day

timc
    Free Member

large418 – Member
    Have people never heard of letting air out of their tyres? If you get stuck, let the tyres down to fairly flat (10psi) – instant traction – even on RWD BMWs, Mercs, etc etc

Works on the driven wheels only though, so you do need to know which end is doing the work.

Apply what we know on bike tyres to your car!

Work with RFT though? unlikely…

oldgit
    Free Member

To fuel the myth, on my journey yesterday I saw five abandoned cars. one merc, one Toyota and three BMWs I’m a row on a hill near Towcester.

timc
    Free Member

its no myth, ive abandoned mine, outside my house mind…

Hohum
    Free Member

M6TTF – Member
    LOL at diggers clip – instead of just filming the muppet could’ve just gone out and given her a shove – it’s the same around here! Neighbour was struggling to get out of the courtyard, there were at least 5 neighbours just watching out the window, so I just chucked some trousers on and went to help instead – hopefully the favour will be returned one day

Yes, it is a bit sad that whoever filmed it did not pop out and try and help her.

large418
    Free Member

Of course letting air out of the tyres will work with run flats – what you are doing is to get the tyre to mould to the ground rather than sit on top of it. (It worked with my Galaxy a couple of years ago)

I am not talking about letting all the air out, just down to 10psi so they are nice and soft.

hora
    Free Member

Did she jam something onto the throttle or was it a software fault?!

Must admit, I’d have helped.

turboferret

My 1995 328i has been fine in the snow in Surrey, I did stick a couple of bags of sand in the boot though. Only running 15″ wheels though, so not the wide low-profiles which come on all the new models.

Bit of momentum carried in the right places, and I’ve been managing where other more suitable looking vehicles were struggling.

Must help that I’m a driving god 😆

Cheers, Rich

KT1973
    Free Member

My x5 has been fine in serious snow here in NE Scotland and thats on 20″ 315 road tyres. I’ve even had it up glenshee. I reckon it would be pretty much unstoppable with snow tyres. I’ve towed 2 people (both in fwd vauxhalls) out in the last few days. It still can go a bit sideways at times but that’s easy to catch and keep the power on. A lot of people here love to rubbish BMWs, but I’m on my second one and I’d go for another one next. It’s a great car, and whilst most of my neighbours cars have been stuck out the fronts of their homes ours has been going every day and we’ve had some of the worst conditions in the country

emac65
    Free Member

Rear wheel drive cars aren’t that bad if you(as others have said) stick some weight(3 bags of sand used to do it for me) in the boot.Those of us who been driving a few years remember when nearly all cars were RWD & this was the only way to keep them moving in bad weather.Just watch it when cornering & take it easy as the weight does have a habit of wanting carry on in a straight line when you turn if you go to quick…..

frogstomp

Get yourself some snowchains.. no problem!

😳

Taff
    Free Member

the snow chains ont he non drive wheel and the you-tube clip have just had the office in stitches. Saw a fair few beemers and mercs parked up in jaunty angles. One beemer had part parked in a layby and part parked in the road…. he was a wing mirror lighter in no time.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

frogstomp lol

and there isnt even snow on the road !

KT – Is your x5 not a 4×4 ?? what are most BMW’s??? your sounding like a proper BM driver…

hora
    Free Member

Never mind what wheels the burk has put them on…..snowchains on suburban roads? Boy bet thats fun to drive with the vibration at any speed etc.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

Simply not using mine while it’s snowy. When you have a Defender, why risk it?!

We have 17″ 225/45 tyres (i.e. not massive) and non run flat (the RFTs were gash) tyres which helps but they are still fundmentally not good snow cars. And yes, many just don’t realise a RWD car needs to be treated with care so crash.

They hate mud too – almost got stuck in a couple of damp grassy car parks with ours. 335d + anything slippery = not going anywhere.

But what makes them pants in snow and mud, makes them brilliant on proper roads so I really don’t care. Saves washing it all the time too…

br
    Free Member

My 535i is parked up too. The wife has a 4×4 (with normal tyres) and no problems at all.

s
    Free Member

Must be a one series thing? 😉

Scamper
    Free Member

This weekend large mercs were easily the car most likely to get stranded in Brum closely followed by A3/Golfs, whith special mention to a Civic Type R.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

To slightly defend the silly 1 series owners, I guess grip on the steering wheels is slightly useful. Ermmm…

mmannerr

Neighbours E92 M3 seems to cope just fine. Proper winter tyres though and good driver might help a bit…

s
    Free Member

mmannerr – Member

Neighbours E92 M3 seems to cope just fine. Proper winter tyres though and good driver might help a bit…

Good point mmannerr

Many moons ago as a 17 year old working on a farm, I pulled a well known rally driver out of a ditch in his 4×4 rally Cosworth car thing with my tractor.

He had let a friend of his have a spin in the snow & the driver had dumped it on the first bend he had come to 😉

Not a big car/rally fan tbh, but watching this pro drive off and set the car up for the bends was amazing to watch.

Wozza
    Free Member

I’ve got a 330d tourer it’s getting better the more I drive in this stuff, it’s knowing how to handle it properly that’s the problem for a lot of people, i guess they don’t feel the grip they just look out of the window and expect results when they floor it.

BMW or not, snow will screw you over if your driving is pish. Gentle on the throttle, get into second sooner and take it easy. DSC helps loads but it’s no replacement for common sense.

I did LOL at those 1 series pics. Freshers.

I’ll tell you what is scary… the amount of people doing 90+mph in -10c! 😯

footflaps

Have to say 4WD does make a big difference even with rubbish tyres – was hooning it around in my 4motion Golf yesterday on uncleared roads and even with Pilot Sport summer tyres, never had any issues with grip – unless I booted it and had all 4 wheels roostering 🙂 Engine braking seems way more effective as well (which I suppose it is with 4 wheels to brake with).

SuperScale20
    Free Member

We have had no problems with X5 at all with standard run flats tyres and 20’s.

kennyNI
    Free Member

135i with Bridgestone RE050A summer tyres goes nowhere.

Goodyear Eagle Ultragrip GW3 winter tyres. Goes everywhere so far.

15% hill round a right angle turn, on untreated road, to get out of my village , no struggles yet.

Surf-Mat
    Free Member

135i – apart from the “controversial” looks, VERY nice!

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You see that punter who has put the snow socks on the front of a rear wheel drive car. If I only had one set of snow socks I’d be tempted to do the same.

Unlike snow chains the manufacturers do not tell you to only fit them to the driven wheels.

Infact their own website says “it’s recommended that users of rear wheel drive cars should also fit a set to the front wheels to provide better directional stability, especially under braking.”

Personally, I find that stopping and turning are much more important that going.

molgrips
    Free Member

Turning and stopping are useless if you cannot move. However if you can move you can move appropriately slowly so that you can still turn, and your rear wheels also have brakes.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘BMW's and the weather’ is closed to new replies.